C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joying Double Din Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:22 AM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Joying Double Din Review

Alright guys. So a few of you have aftermarket/off brand double dins, some do not. I decided to venture out & get something different. Wow has it bitten me in the a**. Anyways, here we go.

I ordered this unit (FBA-JY-UO135N4PX5) off Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

I was excited to get it. However, when the day came to receive it, I got this:

Not cool. Called Amazon, nothing they can do but refund my card. Alright, fine. So they refund my card, I ship the watch back, done deal. But I'm set on this radio. I will get it. So I reorder it, hope for a miracle, & it worked. Came in as advertised. Sweet.

Install:
Alright, so I've installed a few stereos, this was pretty easy. However, I have a 5 channel amp that powers my 4 speakers & sub. But the amp wasn't powering on. I checked the "Amp Cont" wire for power. Nada. So I contact Joying. They tell me to use the "Ant Cont" wire. Boom, it works. I wasn't happy about that, but since I don't have a power antenna, whatever. As for the illumination wire, I'm still working on it. Tapping into the Hvac wire didn't work for me. It would make the screen go black whenever the lights were not on. Sooo yeah.

Sound:
Like I said, I have a 5 channel amp. Sounds just as good as before. However, there is a s*** ton of feedback in the speakers. Let me explain. If no music is playing, but the volume is on anything but "0" I get feedback. Move a ****, press a button, boom, feedback. Just a little "buzz" which is annoying when the car is off, but it's there nonetheless. Thank god my car is loudAF otherwise I'd be pissed.

Quality:
The screen is phenomenal. I love it. Very clear. Touchscreen is very responsive.

System:
The android system is awesome. Haven't had it crash yet.

Bluetooth:
Ahh. Now here's my big issue. For me, bluetooth doesn't work. At all. I have contacted Joying, I have yet to hear back from them. This is a major issue for me as I really wanted to be able to connect with my phone for calling/hands free here in CA. Also, I wanted to use the BT to connect to my OBD Reader to use the app "Torque" for live data logging, etc. Major turn off. I will let you know what happens with that.

Video:
Very clear, streaming is smooth, no lagginess.

USB:
Ha! If you think you are going to use the usb plugs to charge your phone, you're dreaming. Connected my galaxy, 4 hours to charge it when it's at 50%. Yeah, good luck. These will kill it faster than it will charge it.

Wifi:
Works really good. Connects very easily to my android hotspot. I use it for navigation & to connect to my Google Play Music account as well as pandora.

Navi:
I use google maps & waze. Both work great on this unit. No issues.

Brightness:
This thing is stupid bright. And the brightness controls are meh to say the least. Under settings>car>factory setting>brightness area> you get these 3 adjustment sliders. first is Minimum, second is Default, third is Maximum. You adjust it to whatever, but the Default has to be within the first and third slider. So if Min is 50, Max is 100, you can't have Default at say 25. So you put it to what you want, then hit Save. It'll say "Saved!" Then you exit, & it ignores whatever you just said. It'll just stay on the last brightness you adjusted. Theres no way to adjust it for day vs night as far as I know. Maybe that's what the min/max are supposed to be? Idk. All I know is that there is definitely a language translation issue going on since these are straight from China/Hong Kong.

Overall:
All in all, I like it, but I wouldn't have spent $340 if I knew I was going to deal with all these issues. If you know how to go in & mess with the android operating system, this is a great unit as it's pretty open to anything. I don't know all that much, just enough to kinda get me by, & for me it's kinda hectic. The bluetooth not working what so ever is a major drag for me. I've already contacted Joying & am eagerly awaiting to see how they resolve this issue. Hopefully it won't result in me ordering the same product for a third time just hoping to get a good unit. Time will tell. I'll update this thread as I know more to keep those interested, updated.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Scholioso; 05-09-2018 at 01:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 PM
TPFKATK
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THANKS for the review. I've been looking at cheaper Joying units.
Any updates?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Were there supposed to be pictures with the op's post ?

Get notified of new replies

To Joying Double Din Review

Quick Reply: Joying Double Din Review