C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil cooling kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM
torchvette10
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine oil cooling kit questions

Hi guys,

I am looking for an engine oil cooling kit for my supercharged 408 C5. The oil gets very hot at highway speeds on hot days. I very often see temps in the 240-250 range cruising at 85 mph which makes me slow down or get out of the highway.

I sent an e-mail to Lingenfelter about their kit but got no answer. The problem with their kit (for my application) is that I have all the superchager tubing where the radiator is supposed to be mounted. I also contacted PFADT (they used to make a great kit, exactly what I am looking for) but they do not offer it anymore.

I would really like to get a kit that would fit in the front bumper with long enough lines already supplied so I don't have to modify anything over here. Is there anyone who could advise me on who I can contact ? Please do not hesitate to give me your suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 05-10-2018, 11:37 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Nothing wrong with 250 degree oil temps on a full synthetic oil.

No one makes a complete "kit" for what you want, you have to fab it up.

Where is your coolant temp when the oil gets to 250?

What oil are you running?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

If you don't require a front plate in your state you could always remove front plate beauty cover, cut out the plastic filler, and mount a cooler right in the airstream. Lines and adapters are available from Improved Racing, they make a nice product.
The following users liked this post:
torchvette10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:45 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

Thanks for the replies!
Coolant gets up to 230. I believe that if I stayed at that speed longer, the temps would keep increasing.
I am running full synthetic castrol or mobile 1 5W40.

I don't have the front bumber cover anymore (the front plate is just under it). By removing it, it helped a little but the temps I am talking about are already without it.
I will contact improved racing and try to fab a kit.

I live in France and getting parts over here gets very expensive when you add shipping + taxes and customs so the goal is to make my car as reliable as I can to prevent avoidable failures. Imroving cooling can only help I guess
Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you seen the kit from Doug Rippie Motorsports?

http://dougrippie.com/products/stand...il-cooler-kit/

I believe it is mounted in front of the radiator and air conditioner condenser.
The following 2 users liked this post by MySR71:
c5golfguy (05-20-2018), torchvette10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

Originally Posted by MySR71
Have you seen the kit from Doug Rippie Motorsports?

http://dougrippie.com/products/stand...il-cooler-kit/

I believe it is mounted in front of the radiator and air conditioner condenser.
Great, thanks a lot ! I have seen this kit in several threads but when I tried to get on the website, I was getting a rejected URL message. Their website might have been under maintenance at that time as it works today !!

I sent an e-mail to improved Racing and I will also contact dougrippie. I will post again on this thread once I know which route I decide to go.

Thanks again for your help guys !
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Is it the original radiator? If so you need to pull it out of the car and clean it. Cruising on the interstate the car should never get over 205.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Yea, those temps sound way too high for just cruising on the highway. It's probably not "hurting" anything, as guys who track their cars regularly see oil temps in the 275-300* range, but that's when really beating on the car.

I bought all of my components from Improved Racing. Block adapter with thermostat, Setrab 625 cooler, 10AN braided lines, 90* AN fittings, Raceflux heat sheathing to cover the braided lines. And then I fabricated a basic oil cooler mount from sheet metal that attaches to the radiator frame support in front of the radiator and condenser.

And as mentioned, make sure your radiator/condenser aren't clogged up with debris. If you ended up upgrading the radiator, I recommend the Dewitts aluminum unit. It is thicker than the stock radiator, so if you mount your oil cooler like I did, install the radiator first, then fabricate the oil cooler mount.

Here's how I did my oil cooler. Might give you some ideas.
torchvette10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:49 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

I still have the stock radiator. I already blew the debris from it but to make sure, I might have to pull it out and clean it perfectly.

Thanks for your tips bigmackloud I should be able to get the car on a lift on saturday. I will take some measurements and see where I could fit the cooler.
I already got a reply from improved racing. They should be able to help me gather the right parts for this installation. I will keep the thread updated, it may be useful for someone else in the future!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

If your coolant temps are THAT high at just highway cruising (regardless of speed), then
your oil temps will follow.
I think the real solution to both issues would be a Dewitts radiator.. They even
make a cut down version for Supercharger Apps..
If you get that coolant back down to 200-210 , Your oil temps will drop down
at least 20* degrees.. That bigger cube motor & SC WILL need more cooling system that
the stock can provide
Old 05-11-2018, 10:05 AM
R.c. Ness
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by torchvette10
Thanks for the replies!
I live in France and getting parts over here gets very expensive when you add shipping + taxes and customs so the goal is to make my car as reliable as I can to prevent avoidable failures. Imroving cooling can only help I guess
I go back and forth to France from CA and will be happy to help. My C5Z is in CA and like you, I'm putting together a cooling kit from Improved: Setrab 925, 212* Improved thermostat & hoses.

IMO, the plate-cover (& cooler that will fit) is a bit small and airflow is limited - stalling at 40mph, then flowing backwards (unless you have large hood vents etc to reduce under-hood pressure).

The Setrab 625 or bigger 925 you can buy in France with no problem. It's made in Sweden! - no need to ship it around the world

Buy the Setrab and place it in front of the radiator. Then messure the #10 lines you need to the block above the oil-filter and have Improved make them with AN10 fittings. Put it all together and stay cool
BABYBUGY (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:50 AM
BABYBUGY
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what i did
Old 12-02-2021, 01:21 PM
EZ Glider
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would consider the kit from Improved Racing. It is very well put together and the cooler bracket and hoses are all very good. It has dropped my oil temps 25F on the track and adds 2qts of capacity.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine oil cooling kit questions

Quick Reply: Engine oil cooling kit questions