C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin' stuff together for a Harmonic Damper fix...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 AM
hobobiker
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Houston...we have liftoff!

Got her buttoned up last night after the new timing chain, timing chain damper, oil pump, seal, harmonic damper, ARP damper bolt, water pump and belts. Did the power steering system bleed and the coolant burp by the book. I even used the trick of loosening the steam crossovers until coolant came out, which worked like a charm. She fired right up and oil pressure was great right from the start. I crossed my fingers as I did the idle-to-3000 rpm thing for the coolant fill and watched the temp gauge. All good! I even took a minute to change out the old, stripped radiator drain plug with a new $5 one from Autozone...

It's great to see her down on all four tires again! Remember, I've only driven her ONCE since I got her home. That's when the harmonic damper walked, created an oil leak and threw the belts. Woohoo!

Name:  ksSAwRhl.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  EKxHKHQl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  UkrxEvFl.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  NOVI33zl.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  31.5 KB

Last edited by hobobiker; 06-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 06-06-2018, 05:20 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing! your advise has helped me greatly in completing balancer replacement myself.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM
hobobiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
Thanks for sharing! your advise has helped me greatly in completing balancer replacement myself.
I'm glad the postings helped, but please be careful using anything of mine as "advice." Remember, I'm a newbie at the C5 stuff too and I just learned by reading the forum threads and using the search function. Lots of helpful resources here, which made it much easier when my new-to-me Z06 fell flat on its face and lost her harmonic damper on our maiden ride after getting home.

Now to pull my codes and see what she's trying to tell me.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:49 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by hobobiker
I'm glad the postings helped, but please be careful using anything of mine as "advice." Remember, I'm a newbie at the C5 stuff too and I just learned by reading the forum threads and using the search function. Lots of helpful resources here, which made it much easier when my new-to-me Z06 fell flat on its face and lost her harmonic damper on our maiden ride after getting home.

Now to pull my codes and see what she's trying to tell me.
Understood - I am in the exact same boat as you are. I have two more questions for you (if that's OK?)

According to the service manual, you are supposed to mark the harmonic balancer and the engine before remove it. Aparently you are supposed to line it up exactly the same as the old one. Did you do this? I assume not given yours had already come loose?

Also, manual says to check the 'weights' in the holes of the old and new balancer, and press in new weights to the replacement one if they don't match up. Did you do this? And do you think it is necessary?
Old 06-07-2018, 04:54 PM
hobobiker
Advanced

Understood - I am in the exact same boat as you are. I have two more questions for you (if that's OK?)

According to the service manual, you are supposed to mark the harmonic balancer and the engine before remove it. Aparently you are supposed to line it up exactly the same as the old one. Did you do this? I assume not given yours had already come loose?

Also, manual says to check the 'weights' in the holes of the old and new balancer, and press in new weights to the replacement one if they don't match up. Did you do this? And do you think it is necessary?
You are correct on the first assumption. My balancer had walked enough that oil was puking out the seal, so I had no way of knowing from where it had originally started. Your second question, I would have tried to do that if I had purchased a stock GM replacement damper. With the aftermarket one I purchased, everything I could find to read basically said to just install it. I guess I'll be the first one to find out if that comes back to bite me...
The following users liked this post:
grasshopper645 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

You'll be fine. There's plenty of people who haven't added weight. I didn't to mine and it's just fine.

The clutch is a different story...
Old 06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

You are correct on the first assumption. My balancer had walked enough that oil was puking out the seal, so I had no way of knowing from where it had originally started. Your second question, I would have tried to do that if I had purchased a stock GM replacement damper. With the aftermarket one I purchased, everything I could find to read basically said to just install it. I guess I'll be the first one to find out if that comes back to bite me...
Thanks once again!!

I brought the stock AC Delco balancer, but maybe I should have gone with aftermarket as it sounds like you don't have to use weights in it.

Will be pulling out my rack tonight/tomorrow but got to wait a couple of weeks for parts to arrive. Unfortunately here in NZ parts are hard to get!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 AM
hobobiker
Advanced

Thanks once again!!

I brought the stock AC Delco balancer, but maybe I should have gone with aftermarket as it sounds like you don't have to use weights in it.

Will be pulling out my rack tonight/tomorrow but got to wait a couple of weeks for parts to arrive. Unfortunately here in NZ parts are hard to get!
Since you're replacing the harmonic damper with another stock unit, I would definitely keep an eye on it. Even the "new" ones are known for having the same separation issues. Remember to not reuse the same OEM bolt either. They are a one-time-use bolt that stretches and are not meant to be reused. I think that's what all started the issues with my Z...
The following users liked this post:
grasshopper645 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:57 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Since you're replacing the harmonic damper with another stock unit, I would definitely keep an eye on it. Even the "new" ones are known for having the same separation issues. Remember to not reuse the same OEM bolt either. They are a one-time-use bolt that stretches and are not meant to be reused. I think that's what all started the issues with my Z...
Thanks mate.

Managed to get the rack out over the weekend, took me about 8 hours on the garage floor using jack stands. Note this includes removing the exhaust and starter motor to install a locking tool on the flywheel. I had read some people were able to disconnect the starter and just balance it on the exhaust, but I was unable to get my hands up in there far enough. In hindsite, maybe I should have tried harder, but ah well.

I think you summed it up nicely..Hardest parts for me were disconnecting the PS lines (theres basically no room to work with) and I was super worried about threading the bolts, although I didn't.

Also navigating the rack around the brake lines was super difficult. I wonder if it would have been easier to just disconnect them, but I did make it work in the end.

Also inspected the old dampener - theres no weights on mine so that's a bonus.

Now I just have to wait for a puller, the new dampener, and flywheel lock tool to arrive!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

I would not use the stock HB, it will come back to haunt you. Use the Powerbond or better, I have read enough about the stock HB's failing months after replacement.

The Powerbond stock replacement is like $75.00, and the ARP bolt like $30.00
Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by pjdbm
I would not use the stock HB, it will come back to haunt you. Use the Powerbond or better, I have read enough about the stock HB's failing months after replacement.

The Powerbond stock replacement is like $75.00, and the ARP bolt like $30.00
hmm really, damn because I've already ordered a acdelco balancer =/
Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

send it back
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by neutron82
send it back
if you can't sell it on ebay.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
send it back

Last edited by Robrote; 06-12-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Gettin' stuff together for a Harmonic Damper fix...