C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning Master Slave Cylinder :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM
The Guerillaman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunctioning Master Slave Cylinder :(

I have a 2001 Z51 with a sloppy & sticky clutch (especially @ High RPM) and I have determined that the problem is with the dreaded Master Cylinder. Research has led me to 3 modifications to help prevent this issue from happening in the future.

1: Change fluid to DOT4
2: Perform a Master Cylinder "Drill" Mod
3: Get the Tick Master Cylinder

With those three options in mind I would like to perform option 1 & 2 first due to cost of option 3. That being said how well does these seem to work, and is there a good write up somewhere for the "Drill Mod"? any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by The Guerillaman; 05-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the clutch master and slave are 2 different parts but I'm pretty sure I know of the issue you are experiencing, most of us that own 6 speeds know all about it... the tick master is a great piece to have if you can afford it since it will allow you to adjust for basically any clutch you ever buy... some people don't like the heavier pedal feel which I understand BUT tick also offers a stock bore master that will not increase pedal effort, you just have to ask for that one... that being said I have my doubts that it will fix the problem, I went down the same road with my car and tried everything aside from changing the clutch and some things helped but never completely solved the problem... the real fix is a good quality aftermarket clutch, after that my car shifts like butter at redline every time
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM
The Guerillaman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by neutron82
the clutch master and slave are 2 different parts but I'm pretty sure I know of the issue you are experiencing, most of us that own 6 speeds know all about it... the tick master is a great piece to have if you can afford it since it will allow you to adjust for basically any clutch you ever buy... some people don't like the heavier pedal feel which I understand BUT tick also offers a stock bore master that will not increase pedal effort, you just have to ask for that one... that being said I have my doubts that it will fix the problem, I went down the same road with my car and tried everything aside from changing the clutch and some things helped but never completely solved the problem... the real fix is a good quality aftermarket clutch, after that my car shifts like butter at redline every time
Thanks for the feedback! Hoping I don't have to put a new clutch in. It shifts fine and bites great just under high RPM she sticks, so I am hoping the master cylinder is the culprit. Will update as shes gonna be going in the shop soon.

Last edited by The Guerillaman; 05-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I went down the same path. I had the clutch pedal stick to the floor. Tried changing the clutch fluid via the "ranger method" and used a hi-temp DOT4 fluid. It helps a tad but isn't the solution. I also installed the Tick master cylinder. It's a nice unit, but didn't solve the problem. I also tried the LPE clutch pedal return spring, still not the solution.

The only real fix is a new upgraded clutch.

Typically the clutch issues pop up after adding some horsepower (cam, headers, etc). Have you recently done any performance work?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM
The Guerillaman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I went down the same path. I had the clutch pedal stick to the floor. Tried changing the clutch fluid via the "ranger method" and used a hi-temp DOT4 fluid. It helps a tad but isn't the solution. I also installed the Tick master cylinder. It's a nice unit, but didn't solve the problem. I also tried the LPE clutch pedal return spring, still not the solution.

The only real fix is a new upgraded clutch.

Typically the clutch issues pop up after adding some horsepower (cam, headers, etc). Have you recently done any performance work?
Other than a Billy Boat axle back nothing. I just purchased this car this past December with no clutch issues until 2 weeks ago. I have not done anything to put real stress on the clutch (burnouts & such) but the car does have 111,000 miles on it and I bought it with 106,000.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Rick Manning
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the slave cylinder is the weak link.

The pedal would stick to the floor and everything I tried didn't help. Finally the clutch gave out and when I had it changed the slave had been leaking ruining the disc. Once changed, added remote bleeder, all issues were gone.

Note: 175,000 miles all mine and on my 3rd clutch.

Last edited by Rick Manning; 05-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

If you end up replacing the clutch, the LS7 clutch is an excellent upgrade and is real cheap - about $500 for the clutch and flywheel, compared to at least $750 for an aftermarket clutch.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guerillaman
I have a 2001 Z51 with a sloppy & sticky clutch (especially @ High RPM) and I have determined that the problem is with the dreaded Master Cylinder. Research has led me to 3 modifications to help prevent this issue from happening in the future.

1: Change fluid to DOT4
2: Perform a Master Cylinder "Drill" Mod
3: Get the Tick Master Cylinder

With those three options in mind I would like to perform option 1 & 2 first due to cost of option 3. That being said how well does these seem to work, and is there a good write up somewhere for the "Drill Mod"? any help is much appreciated!
The issue is caused by the clutch slipping under abuse, and generating to much heat, which causes the diaphragm spring to become heat fatigued, and not push back against the hydraulics.

So the short of the long is that its the clutch failing not the hydraulics.

Give us a shout if you have any questions.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
Which aftermarket clutch did you install? Did you replace the slave cylinder too and if so, what brand was it?
Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Which aftermarket clutch did you install? Did you replace the slave cylinder too and if so, what brand was it?
act t2s-g01 twin disc and oem slave
Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Thought I'd chime in on this, having replaced my Tick MC with a smaller bore piston. The engagement area was about 1/8" at around 1/2 way through the pedal travel. Big difference, but not really what I wanted. Now, the engagement is about 1/4", so, twice as good, but it's about an inch off the floorboard. It has improved, but I have to relearn driving with it this way. BTW, I have a twin carbon RPS, and I've heard others having similar problems with a Tick MC combo. One nice thing; smooth, and no noise at all. It's just very abrupt.

Get notified of new replies

To Malfunctioning Master Slave Cylinder :(

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning Master Slave Cylinder :(