C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 c1287 only code

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:33 AM
srx700pilot
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 c1287 only code

Hi all
new member, 98 c5 convertible, with an offer to buy it and looking to buy c7 convertible. Looking for help on c 1287 code. I had about 5 codes, just replaced passenger rear wheel bearing assembly which cleared 4 of them. Many were ABS, I forget what they were because I had them last fall when I stored it, and I just replaced wheel bearing. I have one remaining code, which I clear, and it comes back very soon. The car does and always has driven great. Cruise works, everything works great on it with nothing erratic or crazy braking. I only have c1287, no 1288. After reading many threads it seems it could be many things, but it seems many get braking issues. Is there a way to troubleshoot this code, or should I just replace the sensor. How difficult is the sensor. I've had a buyer that wants my car bad with cash in hand, and I'm wanting a c7 convertible. I don't want to sell it to anyone with codes on. How difficult to change the steering sensor? Thanks all.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Those codes are for the SWPS (steering wheel positioning sensor). They are not availible new for the '97-'00 years. You could try to find an used one, but the are getting few and far between and cost a lot now. So you have three choices. Live with it, turn off the TC when you start it or try to find a good used one that may or may not fail.

Quick Reply: C5 c1287 only code