C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Headlight problem

Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
gffitz1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Headlight problem

I have a 2003, C5. Leaving the garage yesterday, the headlights are up and on (as usual because of the twilight setting. After being in daylight for a few seconds, they go down (as usual), but the DS light pops up halfway, and now the PS light doesn't come up at all when using the switch. When I turn on the switch, only the DS light comes up, and when I turn off, it closes then bounces up halfway. PS light doesn't open at all.

I replaced the DS headlight motor about two months ago, and has been functioning perfectly.

Anysuggestions?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

The driver side behavior is typical of damaged or missing rubber bump stops. Have you checked them? You might need to replace them (4 per side).

In addition to that, there is a TSB addressing those symptoms that calls for shimming the driver's side motor.

The passenger side might have the same thing. Have you tried to manually begin to open it before actioning the headlight switch? If it goes up after doing that, it's just probably the rubber bump stops as well. Just keep in mind that the above mentioned TSB doesn't apply to the passenger side.

As for suggestions, I would disable the Twilight Sentinel feature. It just adds unnecessary wear and tear to the headlight system.

Last edited by GCG; 05-22-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:32 PM
gffitz1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information. I'll check the bump stops.
Earlier today, I disabled the Twilight, and the PS light opened, no problem, when I used the switch. The DS still pops back up halfway.
Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlight problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Headlight problem