C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can!

Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Gary Collins
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Catch can!

I have a Mike Norris catch can, and a 2001 C5. How do I hook this up properly? I have seen numerous ways but want it to work properly. Thanks ahead of time I'm learning about the new cars I'm used to pre 70 stuff!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Collins
I have a Mike Norris catch can, and a 2001 C5. How do I hook this up properly? I have seen numerous ways but want it to work properly. Thanks ahead of time I'm learning about the new cars I'm used to pre 70 stuff!
I’m not familiar with the Mike Norris CC, but here’s how I routed mine. I’d think that the lower nipple on the can would have the hose from the PCV and the upper nipple going to the intake manifold.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
Gary Collins (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe the upper port is usually the dirty air from the engine and the one on the side is the cleaned air that would be hooked to the intake. Also in the pics posted above the line coming out of the t to the front of the passenger side valve cover is the vent and should not be hooked to the catch can. Search google images there are a lot of pics.

Good Luck with your project and Hi from lower Alabama.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Gary Collins
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simtech
I believe the upper port is usually the dirty air from the engine and the one on the side is the cleaned air that would be hooked to the intake. Also in the pics posted above the line coming out of the t to the front of the passenger side valve cover is the vent and should not be hooked to the catch can. Search google images there are a lot of pics.

Good Luck with your project and Hi from lower Alabama.
Exactly why I am asking for correct way to hook it up! google shows lots of ways to install yet which one is correct?

Quit sending rain My way!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok The top image is from the Mike Norris website. I added the labeling.
Assuming your PCV system is stock you will hook the upper connection to the tube that comes from the back of the engine and hooks to both valve covers. This image from their website shows it hooked to the LS6 type valley cover which has a PCV valve built into it and comes up from under the intake. You may also want to check and make sure the rubber y in the PCV tube behind the intake hasn't deteriorated into a gooey mess.

This tube hooks to the top of the can
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM
digi2t
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 39 Posts

That's how I installed mine as well on my 04. Found this pic on the net, not my car, but illustrates clearly enough how it's hooked up.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM
Gary Collins
Instructor

The last two pics are exactly why I started this post! I thank You both for Your replies, but the question remains What is the correct way to hook up a catch can?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The catch can goes inline between the engine side of the pcv system and the intake manifold vacuum source.

There are two different pcv systems depending on the year. Your 2001 model has the typical LS1 system (shown in the drawn illustration in Simtech's post). (the other system is the LS6 type that has the PCV system coming out of the valley cover instead of the valve covers - shown in the 2 above pictures - but the principle is still the same). With the LS1 pcv system, there's a PCV line that connect the two valve covers in the rear, and then the line runs to the front of the motor and normally connects into the vacuum port on the intake manifold behind the TB. Basically you are inserting the catch can inline there, so the pcv line goes into the catch can, and then you run the outlet line to the intake manifold port. Essentially it's exactly what CJ1957 posted a picture of.

But CJ1957 added a T fitting and tied in the front PCV port on the pass side valve cover. It's not "wrong" but it's not recommended either. That port should run to the port he now has capped off on the TB. That system is the "clean side" vacuum source. Under WOT conditions the vacuum inside the intake manifold drops very low, so you need another source of vacuum for the PCV system. So the "clean side" vacuum comes from in front of the throttle blade. That's why companies like Elite Engineering sell a Clean Side Separator in addition to the catch can. The way CJ1957 has the system setup, he has deleted the clean side vacuum source (not recommended)

Here's a video I made back when I installed my catch can. This may explain better.
Gary Collins (05-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Catch can!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catch can!