C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Weatherstripping Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:04 AM
craigp40
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convertible Weatherstripping Installation Instructions

Guys, I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything...

I have a 2001 vert that is leaking water between the top of the driver side window and the convertible top. I want to replace the weatherstripping in this area but I can't find installation instructions/videos anywhere. Is there anything out there that you guys can point me to that shows/explains how the weatherstripping is removed and re-attached to the top? It's probably easy, but I like to research what I'm getting into before I start.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 AM
craigp40
Advanced

No one...?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by craigp40
Guys, I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything...

I have a 2001 vert that is leaking water between the top of the driver side window and the convertible top. I want to replace the weatherstripping in this area but I can't find installation instructions/videos anywhere. Is there anything out there that you guys can point me to that shows/explains how the weatherstripping is removed and re-attached to the top? It's probably easy, but I like to research what I'm getting into before I start.

I have the same leak, same side, same area so doing a 'search' for help. Maybe someone can lean us a hand??
Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM
craigp40
Advanced

I never did get a response on this and haven't had much luck finding anything. For now, I just don't drive in the rain and wipe it out after I wash it. Needs to be fixed though... I'm refocusing on my suspension upgrade for now, but plan to revisit this in late summer/early fall.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Darrell98
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a1998 convertible with a passenger side leak. I found that new weatherstripping, either from GM or aftermarket is priced unbelievably expensive. Try to adjust the tip-in of your window and see if that helps.I did the adjustment and it stopped all but torrential downpours from leaking.The FSM has instructions on how to do it. Cultrag Performance, a forum vendor has GM weatherstripping but it is very expensive.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM
craigp40
Advanced

Yeah, that's why I've been procrastinating a bit on this. I need the 2 short sections which are $100 each! Hard to justify for a couple small pieces of rubber.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default What worked for me ...

Originally Posted by craigp40
Yeah, that's why I've been procrastinating a bit on this. I need the 2 short sections which are $100 each! Hard to justify for a couple small pieces of rubber.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Well, my 2001 convertible has had a leak on the driver side since I bought it 7 years ago. The car lives in the garage much of the time, but if I got caught in a rainstorm it would drip on my left leg just above my knee. Very annoying, and plain un-cool. I tried all kinds of adjusting and fiddling with the window. Putting shims between the frame and the molding.
Good grief!!
One day I got around to taking a real close look at what might be different about the driver side vs. the passenger side. It seems that there was just a little gap at the top of the A-pillar and the convertible top on THE DRIVER SIDE, but not on the passenger side. After a lot of puzzlement, I eventually decided to try a piece of foam insulation in there. I have all kinds of junk in the garage, and I located a remnant of M-D Premium Sponge Rubber Weatherstrip.

This stuff is labelled for Door & Window - perfect!! (After all it needs to stop the window leak of my driver side door.) The dimensions of the entire weatherstrip is 3/8" x 1-1/4" x 10ft. This might be enough to do 200 Corvettes, because I only needed about 2 inches.

So I ran a trial with this stuff and was very surprised to see how well it worked. I unlatched the convertible top where it attaches to the top of the windshield. Next I folded the top back enough so it would stand open.

I cut a sort of triangle-ish shaped piece and put it in the recessed area of the molding that receives on the front end of the molding that fits into the recessed area of the molding that is attached to the A pillar the when the top is folded down.

DON'T glue/adhere your foam in this part. Instead attach it to the piece of molding that is at the front edge of the convertible top.

I folded down the top and re-fastened the latches. That piece of foam seems to be smashed in so tight that rain can't get in there.

I can report that after a few torrential rains - the frog-strangler variety - the water is being kept out. It is working so well that I am just going to leave it alone for a while longer. At some point I will possibly trim the sponge rubber a little and then infuse it with some 3M 5200 urethane sealant (I have a tube of it in black and it is very handy for certain specialized situations.) This same 3M 5200 is what I used to attached the triangle foam to the molding. It is messier than roofing tar at 100*. So wear gloves,mask the car and top excessively, and use plastic wrap (over the foam) if you fold the top back down before the stuff dries. Drying time can be up to 7 days according to the label/instructions.

If this helps you, or gives you any good ideas, please post up accordingly.
Good Luck.......

Pictures added on 08-03-2018

Last edited by Sam Handwich; 08-03-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Insert pictures; modify/correct explanation
Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 PM
01pewtervert
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the information. Mine drips a little bit on both sides near the rear of each window. I have tried to figure out why, but nothing looks bad. I thought maybe the weatherstripping is somewhat compressed and not able to keep all the water out. It's not bad, just a little annoying after washing it or getting caught out in the rain. It's not bad enough to make me want spend $200 for $10 worth of rubber.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Well, my 2001 convertible has had a leak on the driver side since I bought it 7 years ago. The car lives in the garage much of the time, but if I got caught in a rainstorm it would drip on my left leg just above my knee. Very annoying, and plain un-cool. I tried all kinds of adjusting and fiddling with the window. Putting shims between the frame and the molding.
Good grief!!
One day I got around to taking a real close look at what might be different about the driver side vs. the passenger side. It seems that there was just a little gap at the top of the A-pillar and the convertible top on THE DRIVER SIDE, but not on the passenger side. After a lot of puzzlement, I eventually decided to try a piece of foam insulation in there. I have all kinds of junk in the garage, and I located a remnant of M-D Premium Sponge Rubber Weatherstrip. This stuff is labelled for Door & Window - perfect!! (After all it needs to stop the window leak of my driver side door.) The dimensions of the entire weatherstrip is 3/8" x 1-1/4" x 10ft. This might be enough to do 200 Corvettes, because I only needed about 2 inches.
So I ran a trial with this stuff and was very surprised to see how well it worked. I unlatched the convertible top where it attaches to the top of the windshield. Next I folded the top back enough so it would stand open. I cut a sort of triangle-ish shaped piece and put it in the recessed area of the molding that receives the front end of the molding when the top is folded down. I folded down the top and re-fastened the latches. That piece of foam seems to be smashed in so tight that rain can't get in there.
I can report that after a few torrential rains - the frog-strangler variety - the water is being kept out. It is working so well that I am just going to leave it alone for a while longer. At some point I will possibly trim the sponge rubber a little and then infuse it with some 3M 5200 urethane sealant (I have a tube of it in black and it is very handy for certain specialized situations.)
Sorry that I have don't have any pictures to go with this write-up, but I am not quite that ****, ....... anymore.
If this helps you, or gives you any good ideas, please post up accordingly.
Good Luck.......

Any chance you can share a few photos of your "fix" for us and send via email? I have the same exact issue, this sounds like it would work for us too.
krbos54@gmail.com

Thanks,

Last edited by Ruouthere; 08-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruouthere
Any chance you can share a few photos of your "fix" for us and send via email? I have the same exact issue, this sounds like it would work for us too.
krbos54@gmail.com

Thanks,
How about if I post the pictures in the forum so others can also benefit?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
How about if I post the pictures in the forum so others can also benefit?

Even better!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01pewtervert
Thanks for the information. Mine drips a little bit on both sides near the rear of each window. I have tried to figure out why, but nothing looks bad. I thought maybe the weatherstripping is somewhat compressed and not able to keep all the water out. It's not bad, just a little annoying after washing it or getting caught out in the rain. It's not bad enough to make me want spend $200 for $10 worth of rubber.
Here is a suggestion: Get some caulk backer rod (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.); not sure which diameter, but I would start with the thinner stuff.....?
See if you can stuff enough of the backeer rod into that hollow channel that goes through the molding to "poof" out the width of the molding. I think that caulk backer is compressible to the point that you could push two of the smaller diameter pieces through together. And I think you could use a string to pull from one end also. Just attach the string first and use a real thing wire/stick to get the string out the other end first.

Hope that helps, or gives someone else an idea.
The following users liked this post:
Ruouthere (08-04-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruouthere
Even better!
okay. Revised my earlier post and added picture, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Ruouthere (08-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Weatherstripping Installation Instructions

Quick Reply: Convertible Weatherstripping Installation Instructions