C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering 1 7/8 race headers and xpipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:20 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Speed engineering 1 7/8 race headers and xpipe

I've been eyeing this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LS1-LS6-C5-C...53.m1438.l2649

but I know I will need an oil dipstick I have a '00, what should I be getting which part numbers?

Secondly, I don't feel safe using supplied gaskets and clamps. What should I be using?

Should I buy two chevy performance mls gaskets:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...illocation=int

How many clamps would I need would these work:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...00-1/overview/

Anything else? Which O2 sensors and if what extensions?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Are these correct part numbers for Cultrag oil dipstick assembly 12563817 and 12574889?

I think ceramic coating the long headers is a must, anything else? What about spark plug wire heat shields any recommendations?

The EGR and AIR stuff can it be easily removed and coded out from ECU so it passes emissions? We only do ECU test here

What about o2 extensions?

Last edited by a_ahmed; 06-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm not familiar with the Speed Engineering headers so I can't address quality of their gaskets and clamps, so the ones you are considering should be good.
The part numbers appear correct for the tube and dipstick.
If you already have heavily modified your engine or if you are going to do so in the future the 1 7/8" headers are ok; if you are only going to do limited mods or if the headers will be one of the few mods you do to your car I would think the 1 3/4" headers would be sufficient. FWIW.
Agree, you want to ceramic coat the headers. This will reduce the under hood temperature. Spark plug wire heat shields may be driven by how close the plug wires run to the exhaust pipes. Even with ceramic coating some will use heat shields and others believe the reduced temp of the coating will keep the wires from needing the heat shields. Perhaps others on the forum have installed these specific headers and can tell you what they did.
I would consider the O2 extensions unless you can handle this wiring yourself.
You are probably going to need 8 clamps, but again, I am not familiar with the Speed Engineering headers to know how the X-pipe mates to the rest of the exhaust, so if there are flanges at the end of the x-pipe you'll need 6 clamps.
Best wishes with your installation.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Where can one get the o2 extension and what o2 sensor would you guys recommend to replace the aged ones it seems this takes 2 or 4 (weird?)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

No flanges in the system, plan on needing 8 clamps. Can't comment on dipstick or O2 extenders as my car is a 2004. I will say I did not need any 02 extenders, I simply reused my front sensors in the front bungs, it's a bit tight but they were long enough for me. You gotta get creative with how you attach them though, need to make sure you have an airgap, because if they rest on the headers they will get burnt up pretty quick. I did not use plug wire sleeves, none of my plug wires really came close to touching.

Do you have a stock axleback? This system relies on using the spring type hangars right infront of the rear axle. There is no hangar brackets for the bellhousing exhaust mounts.
Here are some pictures from their site.

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...stainless.html

And a video of the system on a stock axleback car.

Last edited by ArtClassShank; 06-25-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
Where can one get the o2 extension and what o2 sensor would you guys recommend to replace the aged ones it seems this takes 2 or 4 (weird?)

I just looked at the Speed Engineering site which indicates you can order the sensor extension along with the headers.

To replace all the O2 sensors you will need 4, front and rear sensors on each side of the exhaust. You typically have 2 sensors per catalytic converter - one ahead of the converter and one past the converter. These sensors then compare the cleanliness of the exhaust both before it enters the converter and after it exits the converter.

Do you know that your sensors are bad? Are you getting P1133 and P1153 codes on your DIC?

ACDelco, Denso, Bosch and probably others have sensors for the C5. You may want to check with forum vendor Gene Culley at Cultrag to order sensors; you can probably order the sensor extension from him, too. Rock Auto may also be a good source for these parts.

Hope all goes smoothly with your header/sensor installation.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

One of my rears is giving code issues and I felt power loss on and off when the code came on, I'd clear it and it would seem okay.

This won't have cats, so would the two sensors even be necessary?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

I have B&B Bullets
Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

You can run without the two rear sensors but would need to have their error codes programmed out. You have to keep and use the front sensors to "speak" to the PCM.

Get notified of new replies

To Speed engineering 1 7/8 race headers and xpipe

Quick Reply: Speed engineering 1 7/8 race headers and xpipe