C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing front lowering bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Accessing front lowering bolts

A few years ago I had a mechanic lower my car on stock bolts while it was in the shop on a lift. I believe he took it all the way down to the bushings in the front but I'm not sure so I went out this evening to check and see if I could get it any lower. I jacked under the spring to take off tension but I cannot get a wrench on the bolt because the shocks are in the way. Whats the trick to get a socket and wrench on there? I tried an open end wrench but the bolt heads are just about stripped off (possibly from a previous owner attempting to lower) so that was a no-go.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:00 PM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Man up and do it? take the wheel off for easier access? Absolutely no possible way you need to remove the shock
Old 07-02-2018, 04:03 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jumpmanmb87
Man up and do it? take the wheel off for easier access? Absolutely no possible way you need to remove the shock
Wow, man up? For one the wheel is already off. Every post or video I have seen of someone doing this did not involve removing the shock. I was just was just asking if there was something else I missed.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

They are hard to get to but if you do a little more surfing the videos and posts out there you will figure it out.
My 03 vert was lowered using the stock bolts when I bought and it drug on everything so I raised it back myself.
It's been a year now and I can't remember (I'm old) how I did it.
I do remember seeing a lot of info on the internet and finally figured it out.
Be sure to get it aligned after doing it!
Good luck!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:01 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default I always use YouTube.

Having way too much time on my hands, a while ago I came across a YouTube video on the process....there was several videos to chose from.
P.S.: I to am old

Last edited by runner140*; 07-03-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Whats the trick to get a socket and wrench on there? I tried an open end wrench but the bolt heads are just about stripped off (possibly from a previous owner attempting to lower) so that was a no-go.
There's not room for a socket and ratchet. An open ended wrench is the right way to do it. If yours are so stripped that a wrench slips, you might be best off taking the bolts out and replacing them, which is when unbolting the bottom of the shock becomes necessary.

There also always the vice grip method, if you don't mind chewing up the top of the bolts even more...
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
There's not room for a socket and ratchet. An open ended wrench is the right way to do it. If yours are so stripped that a wrench slips, you might be best off taking the bolts out and replacing them, which is when unbolting the bottom of the shock becomes necessary.

There also always the vice grip method, if you don't mind chewing up the top of the bolts even more...
Nah I have already done an alignment now. Im pretty sure it was lowered all the way anyway... I may mess with it again one day.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

just un bolt the bottom of the shocks.....takes about 2 minutes for each bolt there are 2 per side......there is a bolt up top use a combination wrench to hold it and a nut on the bottom, use a long socket with a ratchet on the bottom...then push it our of the way then you have complete access to the lowering stud, and use a short 6 point socket with 3/8 breaker bar on the lowering stud.....the 3/8 breaker bar has a thinner top dimension so theres no interference.....the long one from HF works great. the round head of a ratchet gets in the way

Last edited by bobs77vet; 07-05-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Soak the bolt for about 15-20 minutes with PB Blaster or equivalent solvent. My left front was stuck and I had the same problem, tried everything and finally soaked the bold at the spring area and had to use vice grips on the top of the bolt to get it off..
Old 07-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I went through this a few months ago. Taking the shock off provides lots of room. You can double nut the adjuster and try that. You can also put a pipe wrench on it if all else fails. I ended up having to remove my spring and drill them out because they were so rusted and fused into the spring. Still it wasn't a difficult procedure.

Get notified of new replies

To Accessing front lowering bolts

Quick Reply: Accessing front lowering bolts