C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Skrilla
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Headlight issue

Why does one go up slightly faster then the other ?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Different harness length to motors have different internal resistance which means a slightly different voltage delivered to each motor. Motor tolerances means they aren't identical, one can spin slightly faster than the other.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Most all electrically operated pop-up head light cars are like this. I've owned roughly half a dozen cars with pop up head lamps and none of them have had head lights that would raise exactly the same. They've been REALLY close, but not to the point of raising simultaneously.

When I replaced one of the gears on my C5 with a brass gear I have noticed it raises a bit quicker than the one that still has a plastic gear. It actually functioned like this prior but since the gear swap the difference has become even further pronounced. That's an exaggerated version of Tsumi's point about tolerances; tolerances between the mechanical and electrical can produce varied operation. It doesn't bother me. As long as they both actually raise, activate, and I'm not having to pop the hood to rotate the motor manually that's the important thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight issue

Quick Reply: Headlight issue