C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abandoning front cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Oklahomaboy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Abandoning rear cigarette lighter

I have remove the cigarette lighter from the glove compartment and replaced it with a hdmi and usb receptical. What is the correct and safe thing to do with plug? Cut it off and terminate the ends or just tape the rascal up?

Last edited by Oklahomaboy; 07-21-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:46 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by Oklahomaboy
I have remove the cigarette lighter from the glove compartment and replaced it with a hdmi and usb receptical. What is the correct and safe thing to do with plug? Cut it off and terminate the ends or just tape the rascal up?
The cigarette lighter should be in the compartment with a flip door below the A/C/heat controls unless someone has already relocated it to the glove compartment. Me, I would just put a plug in and be done with it.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM
BIGWILL_88
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Here's what I did

I Turned mine into a dual usb outlet. I purchased a leather wrapped bezel that already had a hole in it so I decided that I'd take the front cig lighter and turn it into something I could use. I simply spliced the wires and put the female ends on them and attached the usb socket and it works perfectly.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

USB voltage is usually 5 volts DC.........12 volts DC might fry a USB powered device
Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM
BIGWILL_88
Instructor

Default That's the continual voltage reader

It works just fine, no problems at all.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWILL_88

I Turned mine into a dual usb outlet. I purchased a leather wrapped bezel that already had a hole in it so I decided that I'd take the front cig lighter and turn it into something I could use. I simply spliced the wires and put the female ends on them and attached the usb socket and it works perfectly.
That's pretty cool.. Where did you get that plug?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 PM
BIGWILL_88
Instructor

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
That's pretty cool.. Where did you get that plug?
Thanks! I ordered the plug off of amazon but had to fabricate the holder that it's in to fit the pre-drilled hole.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I did the same no issue in mine. Bought a dual lighted USB and put in where the cigarette lighter was. I had to run different power wires as mine didn't turn off when the key was out. The dam light would stay on.

Get notified of new replies

To Abandoning front cigarette lighter

Quick Reply: Abandoning front cigarette lighter