C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping Fuel Tanks - 1998 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 06:35 PM
Bmidgette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping Fuel Tanks - 1998 C5

Hello all, just joined the forum! Got my first Corvette last year and began having issues with raw fuel smell as well as the common fuel gauge issue where it drops to E. Right now I am trying to find the leak which is causing the raw fuel smell in the cab.

I dropped the tanks but cannot get them completely out - I cannot figure out how to disconnect the Evap hose from the crossover tube.

Also, I am concerned about getting the crossover re-installed - I was able to pull it out but I don't see a way to get reinstall it with the limited space.

Can anyone help?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:25 PM
pjensen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive been looking at this job also.
Here is an article on dropping the fuel tanks for C6. Maybe it might help a little.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Bmidgette
3rd Gear

Thanks for your post - husband says our tanks are very different - appreciate you taking the time to try and help though!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM
mnotx
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are not sure of any possible modifications prior to you buying the car, you might lift the carpet from the slope behind the seats and the carpet on bottom of the trunk. There have been many instance where people have screwed things down in those areas not knowing they might puncture the gas tanks. If you see any holes, you might have found a good starting place for locating leaks.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

the evap line just has a quick disconnect, if you squeeze the connection together with your thumb and finger the line will slide out and then the tank will come out... it's a tight fit between the frame, sometimes you have to push and guide the large crossover tube connection to clear the frame because it loves to get snagged on the edge of the frame and prevent the tank from coming out
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Bmidgette
3rd Gear

Thanks for the posts - got it!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping Fuel Tanks - 1998 C5

Quick Reply: Dropping Fuel Tanks - 1998 C5