C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Question

Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default charging

Originally Posted by JR-01
Wouldn't it be wise to disconnect the neg cable on the battery while working on this? I remember changing the starter on my C3 and I made some sparks when I didn't.
Besides cleaning the pos bat connection on the starter, run a six guage wire from the B+ pos battery terminal to the B+ positive terminal on the alternator. Makes another path to charge the alt. Did it on my 03. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Wouldn't it be wise to disconnect the neg cable on the battery while working on this? I remember changing the starter on my C3 and I made some sparks when I didn't.
Yes.

I tend to forget to warn people about this because it's second nature. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FIRST, BEFORE DOING ANY WORK ON THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. This warning is especially critical when working on the starter or alternator circuits, where large wires can carry significant currents and arc weld parts to the metal engine block or frame members.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stilambo07
From the top I traced down and found this loose connector. But I’m the pic above it looks like it is disconnected as well. What is this and should this be hanging unconnected?

could I have found my issue?

should this clip be plugged in somewhere? This is making me nervous
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Definitely!

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Yes.

I tend to forget to warn people about this because it's second nature. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FIRST, BEFORE DOING ANY WORK ON THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. This warning is especially critical when working on the starter or alternator circuits, where large wires can carry significant currents and arc weld parts to the metal engine block or frame members.

Last edited by GCG; 09-19-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kh400
Besides cleaning the pos bat connection on the starter, run a six guage wire from the B+ pos battery terminal to the B+ positive terminal on the alternator. Makes another path to charge the alt. Did it on my 03. Good luck!
I wouldn't recommend doing that... In fact, that's a critical hazard considering the huge currents that could potentially flow in that circuit.

There is a 10 Gauge Fusible Link between the alternator's output post and the starter solenoid-battery path. Running that extra wire, would render this protection useless.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
I wouldn't recommend doing that... In fact, that's a critical hazard considering the huge currents that could potentially flow in that circuit.

There is a 10 Gauge Fusible Link between the alternator's output post and the starter solenoid-battery path. Running that extra wire, would render this protection useless.
I was thinking that the wire he proposed adding would make a good incandescent warning light when the main cable from the battery to the starter goes out. But the fusible link you mention would prevent that.

Adding relatively small wires to the charging system or ground system in a vehicle is almost always a really bad idea. They might function as intended when everything is working (almost) properly, but when there's a problem, they can provide alternate paths for current, and if the wire is small and ends up being an alternate path for starter current, the small wire can catch fire and cause all kinds of damage when it overheats from the overload from the starter. I've seen some older vehicles where if the main ground strap fails, the (mechanical) speedometer cable ended up being the only remaining ground path for the starter, and those vehicles had some really spectacular events if the main ground strap(s) corroded through from road salt damage.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM
kh400
Pro

Default Alternator

The reason I added an additional circuit to the alternator is because the factory setup runs to the starter solenoid, then the starter. Well, with all the heat in that area, there tends to be high resistance at the starter terminal which limits the amps the alt can send to the battery. I of course also cleaned that starter terminal before I added the additional wire. I also insulated that six guage wire with corregated plastic tubing. I am an ASE certified master tech with over fifty yrs experience, so I resent someone, even Bill Curlee from questioning my methods. By the way, the cable has been there for two yrs. and no warning lights or problems and the starter cranks the car better than it ever did.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:20 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG

I agree 1000% GCG !!!...BTW, I am an FAA Certified Mechanic/Inspector with over 42 years of experience with a major airline !!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Aren't you bypassing a critical fuse with that extra wire?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
kh400
Pro

Originally Posted by jr-01
aren't you bypassing a critical fuse with that extra wire?
50 amp in-line fuse.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

50 amp in-line fuse.
You never mentioned a fuse in your original post about the wire. No fuse on the wire = BAD no matter who you are. With a fuse it would be OK.

But, you could just bring the original wire that goes down the back right corner of the engine up to the battery if you want to run a wire directly from the alternator to the battery.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 PM
stilambo07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it ok to disconnect the negative terminal over night on the battery? Then reattach in morning and see how it fires up? Every morning it is a very slow start and if I wait over two days without starting it it will not turn over but a jump start it will. The alternator is charging the battery once running and no issues. Only in mornings. Is this an ok start to decipher what is going on?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Is it ok to disconnect the negative terminal over night on the battery? Then reattach in morning and see how it fires up? Every morning it is a very slow start and if I wait over two days without starting it it will not turn over but a jump start it will. The alternator is charging the battery once running and no issues. Only in mornings. Is this an ok start to decipher what is going on?
Yes. You will have to reset your clock.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:32 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...Alternator was good. However, losing power going from alternator to battery. The power was much greater at the alternator than at the battery with vehicle on...
Were you able to check this?:

...Every morning it is a very slow start and if I wait over two days without starting it it will not turn over but a jump start it will...
Were you able to follow the troubleshooting procedure for abnormal battery drain as per Post 27 above?

Last edited by GCG; 09-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Just as another note, if your wiring looks like that picture above with the text then you need to do repairs. I see an insulation burn spot on the big red wire from the battery and I see a damaged taped up fusible link on the wire from the alternator.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

That's just a picture that I borrowed from another thread. I know... it doesn't look good , but it was the only one I could find taken from that angle 👍

Last edited by GCG; 09-23-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Question