C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Oil cooler setup questions

I have a '99 FRC with a warmed over LS6 engine with LG long tube headers making 410whp. It is mostly driven on the street, but I plan to get back into track day events once the car is properly prepared. I already have a fabricated HD aluminum radiator that I am going to install - I chose one without the internal EOC (engine oil cool or "temperature equalizer") and I am starting to think that may not have been the smartest choice on my part. Nevertheless...

I am collecting the pieces/parts needed to put together the oil cooler setup. I plan to use an Improved Racing thermostatically controlled adapter. The question becomes the placement/location of the oil cooler itself. The LPE and West Coast Corvette kits locate the cooler (a shorter Setrab 613 cooler) behind the radiator near the PS cooler. The DRM and the older TPIS kits locate the cooler (mid size Setrab 619 or taller Setrab 625 cooler) in front of the radiator and a/c condenser. I have done a lot or reading and searching on the forums, but I still wonder which location is "best"? I am leaning towards mounting the cooler in front of the radiator and condenser. But I was also wondering, does anyone know if there is enough space/room or has experience with installing the taller Setrab 619 or 625 coolers mounted behind the radiator? Are there issues with the ABS controller, PS rack or accessory drive that limits the size of the cooler in that location or it it just more efficient if the oil cooler is up front? Does the placement of the oil cooler up front tend to make things harder on the a/c system?

I know, lots of questions and I may be overthinking all of this too much as well.

TIA

Last edited by JHrinsin; 10-02-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I had Randy Rippie help me put in a Setrab 925 oil cooler. Brought my oil temps down 40 degrees. In front of ac condenser.
Give him a call. I'll send Randy the parts list so he can help you, as well.
Spaggs
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

We've helped several customers with oil coolers for the C5 and we also have a kit in development. The only real difference is the kit will include the custom mounting brackets for the cooler so that you don't need the fabricate anything.

We recommend installing the cooler in front of the radiator. We usually recommend our MHX-514 oil cooler for mixed street/track use, and MHX-520 for higher horsepower or dedicated track cars. The advantage of using these coolers is that they are less restrictive of airflow to the radiator behind it, and they have performance equal to a Setrab/Mocal 25-row and 34-row respectively, in a smaller, lighter package with higher oil volume capacity. In the Setrab and Mocal brands the 25-row is the most common solution, but the 34-row won't fit very well in the C5 while our MHX-520 does fit.

Below are a couple of photos taken by a customer who recently installed a MHX-520 with our thermostat, lines, and fittings in the C5. They used our universal mounting bracket on the bottom to secure it to the radiator support, and fabricated a custom bracket to secure the top of the cooler as you can see in the photos. The cooler looks very close to the A/C condenser in the photos, but the customer said there is actually plenty of space.

The following 2 users liked this post by ImprovedRacing:
JHrinsin (10-03-2018), jjc508520 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

tough to judge the size in those pics, but is there room to mount it perpendicular to the rad/condenser in the air opening like the Magnuson heat exchangers?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
tough to judge the size in those pics, but is there room to mount it perpendicular to the rad/condenser in the air opening like the Magnuson heat exchangers?
I don't know how much room is available because we don't have a C5 currently in the shop, but my guess is probably not. The MHX-520 cooler is 11.5" x 9.73" overall, and the MHX-514 is 11.5" x 6.94". We do have some smaller sizes coming out soon as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Going with a external oil cooler is actually a better option than the internal cooler. It all depends though on how the car will be used.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 PM
03Dreamin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone looked into making a kit that would mount 2 smaller oil coolers in front by the fog lights? Those look like 2 air intake locations that are not taken advantage of. I live in Texas where you (by law) need to have your front license plate installed so I installed the oil cooler that mounts behind the radiator. It gives me around 30 degree cooler oil at the end of a 25 minute track day run.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

How much longer does it take at start-up to build oil pressure with an oil cooler ?

Christian

Last edited by miami993c297; 10-05-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:40 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Dreamin
Has anyone looked into making a kit that would mount 2 smaller oil coolers in front by the fog lights? Those look like 2 air intake locations that are not taken advantage of. I live in Texas where you (by law) need to have your front license plate installed so I installed the oil cooler that mounts behind the radiator. It gives me around 30 degree cooler oil at the end of a 25 minute track day run.
i see folks with them on the dash & even clipped to the passenger sun visor all the time.
let her breathe!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler setup questions

Quick Reply: Oil cooler setup questions