C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultra lite brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default ultra lite brakes?

Anyone ever hear of them? Apparently for C5s, they produce titanium rotors with aluminum hats that shave 33lbs and shed brake times down to 85feet with their special pads in combination with their rotors, in stock sizes.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If I were going to spend $5000 for brakes/pads/rotors I would go with larger calipers/rotors and with change I would put in 19" wheels. That would give you "nose bleed" stopping power. As I recall the titanium caliper/rotors were used for some early racing series where stock sizes were required. The biggest advantage for them was the 33 lbs of less un-sprung weight--the equivalent of removing 130 lbs from the car in a turn.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:47 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Saving that much unsprung weight is insanely amazing.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I checked on them a few months ago, 1000 a rotor, I thought about doing the rear to go along with my lightweight clutch, maybe pick up a few hp, 7# vs 14, I’m also running rear brakes on the front, easy 15# weight savings and drive it all the time with no stopping issues
Old 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Given you can get a C5 these days for not much over $10k, $5k for brakes seems excessive.

If I wanted spectacular braking, and was prepared to pay silly money for it, I would be looking for a set of ZR1 brakes. Genuine state of the art and impervious to fade. As to unsprung weight, the heaviest thing out there is your wheel and tire.

When you have enough braking power to lock up your wheels without ABS - which C5's do, there's not much point in adding more and expecting to reduce stopping distances. "Soft" compound tires will make more difference. Upgrading the brakes can deal with fade and/or track use, but that's it.

Get notified of new replies

To ultra lite brakes?

Quick Reply: ultra lite brakes?