C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any point in getting a car lift with an 8' garage ceiling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Any point in getting a car lift with an 8' garage ceiling?

My garage has an approximately 8' 3" ceiling. Would something like a MaxJack lift be of any real use with that low of a ceiling? It would let me lift a Vette maybe 4'. I'm 6'4" obviously I won't be able to stand under it. I might clear the underside on a low rolling seat.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:09 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO any lift is better than no lift.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Depends on City code also. My last 2 houses the city code would not allow certain lifts if your garage didn't meet a certain height and width.

I am currently looking at the portable 2 post lift since my garage floor meets the standard now for one.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I have a 8'-5" ceiling and a MaxJax. The lower safety pin height is great for suspension work sitting on a roller stool and you could lift most any car or smaller SUV type vehicle to that height. The Vette clears at the top height and a low roller seat can fit under. It's not ideal, but way better than no lift.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:52 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

I have 2-car garage, 8' ceilings. After much debate, bought a Quickjack. Simple, cheap, mobile, gets it far enough off the ground to work on it reasonably easy.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

MaxJax will work if the garage door is closed but you won't be able to have the hood open when the car is at the top of the lift rise. I have a 10 ft ceiling with a 9ft tall door. When the garage door is open and the hood is open the hood misses the door by about 6 inches.

Another lift that can work well is a mid rise scissors lift. Both the MaxJax and the Midrise Scissors lifts will get the bottom of the car about 4 ft off the ground. That way you park over the lift and don't have to find a place to put the lift columns when you aren't using the lift.

Bill
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Tiggerwelder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ceilings are 10'-6" and I put a regular floor plate lift in, if I change the opener to a side mount, I will be able to walk under. With an 8' ceiling, you will still be able to use a wheeled stool to work. It is so nice to do that! Oil changes and brake work are a breeze now!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Any lift is better than having to use a jack and stands

I have a low ceiling garage somewhere between eight and nine feet with stuff hanging from it all over. I use a mid rise scissor jack and can lift the car up 2.5 to 3 feet. I've had the lift for 10 years now and use it for all my cars and even changing tires on my wife's SUV. The SUV gets parked on top of the jack so it is out of the way.

You can also use it as a workbench with a sheet of plywood over the top. The jack has paid for itself in both time and money it has allowed me to do work on the car that otherwise I would have had to pay for.

Get notified of new replies

To Any point in getting a car lift with an 8' garage ceiling?

Quick Reply: Any point in getting a car lift with an 8' garage ceiling?