C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPS BC-2 Install Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default RPS BC-2 Install Suggestions

I'm installing an RPS BC-2 Clutch and have learned a couple of things that might help the next guy who a has to install one of these.
I found out that the easiest way to put this thing in is to remove the bellhousing (BH). What a pain. A long extension with a 13mm swivel socket is a must. I undid the front brakes, upper control arms and shocks. This way I could lower the front cradle enough to work with those lovely 13mm bell housing bolts. Note: to do it again, I would install the pilot bearing with a bearing tool and not a socket at the end of an extension. I did freeze it beforehand to make it smaller. I also cut the loop end off of the clutch alignment tool. This way I can more easily slide plates on and off. The flywheel went on fine. I then stacked the remainder of the clutch and torqued it down using 9 ft lbs per pass until I had them all at 27 ft lbs. I then tried to reinstall the BH. It would not go. The BC-2 is too thick. I then broke the clutch down and then restacked all of the plates on the alignment tool except the next to last piece and the cover. I held the BH with those last pieces together with my fingers and fit the bellhousing on two small studs, one on each side. After hanging the BH I then snugged up those last two clutch pieces and then finger tightened two bolts to temporarily secure it. I had to clean off all the bolts and replace the blue Loctite. During the torque process, I made sure that the alignment tool was free to glide back and forth.
After installation, I did the finger height check measurement and found it to have a difference of .60". (I used a stock GM slave cylinder). RPS states that the difference should be between .275" and .375". I needed some shims, so I went to the Tick Performance website and found their kit that has three different sized shims. Adding two shims I had a difference of .367" and with all three I had .312". I contacted Tom at Carolina Clutch and he advised that the .312" would be better than the .367". I averaged that RPS recommended limits and it came out to .325".
Hope this helps that next guy who puts one of these clutches in their C5.
Spaggs
The following users liked this post:
tungstenfoot (01-06-2019)

Quick Reply: RPS BC-2 Install Suggestions