C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Cstawa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Question

I am looking at a 2001 convertible with 52000 miles. I am new to Corvettes but understand there was an oil issues with this year. Can anyone provide additional information and an opinion
if I should stay away from this year.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM
mikesvette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2001 coupe and have had no problem with the oil , as I say that i did have to add about a half a quart my first oil change but everything has been fine since.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Cstawa
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Here is the guideline for oil consumption from GM:

This information can be found in the following service information bulletin and provides guidance to dealers on this issue: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines #01-06-01-011. This covers all 1996 - 2001 passenger cars and gasoline powered light duty trucks under 8500 LB GVW.

"Oil Consumption. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi.). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi) or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. Many factors can affect an owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks

Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fitting for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level

The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1) after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading to assure the oil has had enough time to drain back into the crankcase. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change

Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner's Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

High Speed or High RPM Driving

Continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs may increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

Towing or Heavy Usage

Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System

Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Incorrect PCV valves, blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil usage.

Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)

On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient lenght to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature

If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear

Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, work, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).

1. Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.
2. Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1), after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make
sure that most of the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.
5. Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are
being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
6. Record the vehicle mileage, date and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin.
7. Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the
dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add
mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has
accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
8. If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published
symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine
uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for
oil consumption."

I have a 2001 and never had a problem with oil consumption other than a major leak that I was aware of when I purchased it.

Last edited by zachaeous; 01-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstawa
I am looking at a 2001 convertible with 52000 miles. I am new to Corvettes but understand there was an oil issues with this year. Can anyone provide additional information and an opinion
if I should stay away from this year.

Thanks
I have a 2001 vert A4 that I bought new and still have that used a quart every 800-1000 miles, I had the extended warranty and had the re-ring repair done and viola no more oil burning,It has 85k now and still runs great and still uses 0 oil.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Cstawa
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Was there a tsb on the re-ring? I have a 2001 and burn a quart every 1,000 miles.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
Was there a tsb on the re-ring? I have a 2001 and burn a quart every 1,000 miles.
YES there is...here it is !!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
oilrings.pdf (67.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks. This can’t be cheap out of warranty. Haha.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Thanks. This can’t be cheap out of warranty. Haha.
Out by many years...LOL !!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes
Old 01-19-2019, 06:19 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

If it were a problem it is likely fixed by now. Yes '01 was the year of the low tension rings and oil burning. All LS1s are known to burn a bit of oil.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Question

Quick Reply: 2001 Question