C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:47 PM
chem041
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery drain

For the past month I have been dealing with something draining my new battery. I have a 2003 vert with 86000 miles. I put my volt meter in series between the negative battery post and negative cable and after the car "went to sleep" (about 10-15 mins) I had a 0.2 amp drain. After some detective work pulling fuses I located the culprit and isolated it to my auto dimming rear view mirror. I disconnected the power cord to it and the amp draw is now reading between 0.01 and 0.02 amps. I am assuming the auto dim function is staying on as the lights are not lit. Also, my seat belt light on the instrument cluster and the chime for it are not working. The only mod is an aftermarket HU. I installed a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and used the Metra Axxess XSVI-2004 wiring interface. All of the connections are correct and I followed the initalization procedure in the instructions. The HU and all speakers work fine. The first issue I noticed with the new HU is now when I put the key into the ignition switch. I don't turn the key and the HU powers up and the antenna raises up. When I crank the car the HU powers down and then powers back up. When I turn the car off the HU powers down, antenna goes down and then the HU powers back up and the antenna goes up until I remove the key and open the door then it shuts down. I contacted Metra and was told they have seen this before and the problem is my ignition switch. My question is, could all of these issues be related to the ignition switch? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Wish I had a suggestion! There do seem to be a lot of problems cured with the ignition switch. Might be worthwhile to do a proactive replacement. About $60 at Rockauto, $90 at Amazon.
Currently installing a new stereo, and paying attention to see what you find.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 PM
mhanley
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chem041
For the past month I have been dealing with something draining my new battery. I have a 2003 vert with 86000 miles. I put my volt meter in series between the negative battery post and negative cable and after the car "went to sleep" (about 10-15 mins) I had a 0.2 amp drain. After some detective work pulling fuses I located the culprit and isolated it to my auto dimming rear view mirror. I disconnected the power cord to it and the amp draw is now reading between 0.01 and 0.02 amps. I am assuming the auto dim function is staying on as the lights are not lit. Also, my seat belt light on the instrument cluster and the chime for it are not working. The only mod is an aftermarket HU. I installed a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and used the Metra Axxess XSVI-2004 wiring interface. All of the connections are correct and I followed the initalization procedure in the instructions. The HU and all speakers work fine. The first issue I noticed with the new HU is now when I put the key into the ignition switch. I don't turn the key and the HU powers up and the antenna raises up. When I crank the car the HU powers down and then powers back up. When I turn the car off the HU powers down, antenna goes down and then the HU powers back up and the antenna goes up until I remove the key and open the door then it shuts down. I contacted Metra and was told they have seen this before and the problem is my ignition switch. My question is, could all of these issues be related to the ignition switch? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If it's .02 amp draw then it's a normal when the car is in the sleep mode. Make sure you have a high CCA battery with very good RC amp. Look at getting a very good AGM battery.

Mike

Mike.

Last edited by mhanley; 01-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 PM
chem041
Navigator

Just ordered a replacement ignition switch and will install it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 PM
chem041
Navigator

I would imagine the amp draw should be in the milliamp range not 0.2 amps. But this is my first C5 and I know it does have several modules that may require that much power.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 PM
01pewtervert
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

GM bulletin 02-06-03-010A says MAX parasitic drain should be 30 mA (0.03A).
The following users liked this post:
chem041 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

There are two ignition circuits, one stays on while starting (large pink wire) and the other (large orange wire) goes off when starting to reduce non-essential loads such as the wipers. Try the other ignition circuit (large pink wire) from the ignition switch.
chem041 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The correct current draw is right around 20 milliamps. That would be written as 0.02 amps.
The GM stated 30ma draw is fine. I've check numerous C5 and they average around .020ma-.025ma.

The ignition switch has a small thin button inside and at the bottom of the key cylinder housing part of the switch. The end of the key contacts the button and that "SWITCH" tells the BCM that the driver has inserted the key into the ignition. Then the BCM does all the entry related functions.

If you remove the lock cylinder, you can easily see the button.

Bill
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...I don't turn the key and the HU powers up and the antenna raises up. When I crank the car the HU powers down and then powers back up...
So, in other words, it seems as if your new headunit is always ON... Can you turn the headunit OFF with its own switch while the car is running? If yes, does this change anything when you shut down/start the car? Does the headunit still behave the same as before?

Last edited by GCG; 01-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:08 PM
chem041
Navigator

Yes, I can turn the headunit off while the car is running; however, when I turn the car off and leave the key in the ignition the headunit powers back up. If I then open the the door (with the key still in the ignition) the headunit turns off
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Yes, I can turn the headunit off while the car is running; however, when I turn the car off and leave the key in the ignition the headunit powers back up. If I then open the the door (with the key still in the ignition) the headunit turns off
Even when you just turned off the headunit before shutting down the car?

The headunit turning off when you open the door seems like the part of the RAP function, however, RAP should only kick in to keep the headunit ON if you shut down the car while listening to the headunit.

If the headunit is OFF before the car is shut down, RAP shouldn't activate. Could it be that something was not 100% fine during the programming sequence of the Metra adapter?

On the other hand, all that weird stuff happening by just inserting the key might be related to the ignition switch, as Metra told you. Bill Curlee just gave you a good clue:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
...The ignition switch has a small thin button inside and at the bottom of the key cylinder housing part of the switch. The end of the key contacts the button and that "SWITCH" tells the BCM that the driver has inserted the key into the ignition. Then the BCM does all the entry related functions.

If you remove the lock cylinder, you can easily see the button...

Last edited by GCG; 01-17-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 PM
chem041
Navigator

Installed new ignition switch and the battery drain appears to be resolved. Checking the amp draw, I noticed the following. After about 1 to 2 minutes the draw is 0.2 amps, after 15 minutes it is down to 0.08 amps and about 1 minute later it shows 0.02 to 0.01 amps. No change in the behavior of the headunit. I believe I am going to ditch the XSVI-2004 and go with the ROEM-VET1 and get a better battery.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I recently installed a Kenwood DD head unit and used the same Metra harness that you did. I haven’t had the chance to drive the car much due to weather on my days off, but I have noticed a big drop in battery power ever since I installed the head unit and associated accessories. My head unit behaves the same as yours - powers on when I insert the key, powers off and then powers back on when the key is removed before the door is open, etc.. However, if I turn the head unit off it stays off until I turn it on again.

I usually have my battery hooked up to a Battery Tender anyway, but have been getting the “low voltage” warning within minutes when I adjust the stereo settings while the key is in the “accessory “ mode, then the battery dies within moments after that.

I figured the drain was because I tapped the rear camera into the reverse lights and tapped the front camera into the hood light for power. As a remedy, I was planning on running power for both cameras directly to the passenger footwell area where I have my radar detector tapped into the accessory “key” wires. However, now since I’ve read your thread I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do. My ignition switch was fine before the mod and after reading your posts I’m not convinced that the ignition switch is the culprit.

Last edited by FX VETTE; 01-17-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM
chem041
Navigator

AE Guy The ignition switch is a fairly inexpensive ($63.00 on Amazon) part and is a surprisingly easy install. I followed the directions posted by Bill Curlee and they are the best of any I've seen. If you decide to replace your ignition, look up his post. For me, it was about a 90 min job. As for the radio, I believe I can exist without the RAP feature and ordered the ROEM-VET1 harness.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:13 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

^ Do you have the link to his post? The search feature on this forum pulls up all sorts of random stuff.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM
chem041
Navigator

Here ya go:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571067145-post107.html

It
should be the third post in this thread.
FX VETTE (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AE Guy
...My head unit behaves the same as yours... ...However, if I turn the head unit off it stays off until I turn it on again...
It seems your system is working as it should. Leaving the headunit always ON makes it a slave of the ignition switch, and the RAP will kick in accordingly.

In the case of chem041 I was trying to verify if turning the headunit off would keep it off until turned on again, as yours. I have the feeling his is probably fine as well.

...I usually have my battery hooked up to a Battery Tender anyway, but have been getting the “low voltage” warning within minutes when I adjust the stereo settings while the key is in the “accessory “ mode, then the battery dies within moments after that...
This is a symptom of a weak/discharged battery, not necessarily the fault of your headunit.

...I figured the drain was because I tapped the rear camera into the reverse lights and tapped the front camera into the hood light for power. As a remedy, I was planning on running power for both cameras directly to the passenger footwell area where I have my radar detector tapped into the accessory “key” wires...
It seems that's your culprit. Your front camera is probably the cause of the drain of your battery.

I would leave the rear camera connected to the reverse lights and only change the front camera connection. It should tap an Accessory-switched source, as your radar detector.

After doing that, fully charge your battery and have it load-tested at an auto parts store.
FX VETTE (01-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain

Quick Reply: Battery drain