C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor vanity mirror light replacement

Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Default Visor vanity mirror light replacement

Has anyone been successful in getting the OEM bulbs out of their vanity mirror sockets and replaced with LEDs?
I can't seem to get the OEM bulbs to come out.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Yes , I have replaced mine with LEDs.

I removed the sun visors from the car first and then used a 1mm drillbit to push the bulbs out from the back of the socket .

The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (08-10-2023)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Thanks,
What size LED did you use?
Jim
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I ordered these LED's

Due to these LED's need correct polarity I recommend you to check the polarity before you put the sunvisors back in the car.
These photoes show how I did it .

Checking polarity

Gluing the pieces together

Ready for installing back in to the car
The following 2 users liked this post by oelarse:
emsteph (03-26-2021), ShagVette (08-10-2023)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Jim
Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Hey Jim! You could also just pry the plastic lenses off with a very small flathead screwdriver, pinch some duct tape to the exposed portion of the bulb and just pull them up and out.

I’m using my phone and don’t have access to the photos I took when I did mine. I am not sure how to capture the link of the ones I bought off of fleabay, but you should be able to find them using the keywords below or maybe the link will work. They are bright white and I am happy with them -

4 x 6000k White T5 37 74 LED Visor Vanity Mirror Footwell Light Bulbs https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F321979787529
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Hey, thanks for the tip.
I will try your duct tape trick first!

Jim
Old 05-16-2020, 01:00 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

I just replaced mine with LEDs. I glued shrink tubing over the bulb, then heated the shrink tube and waited a few minutes. Then pulled the tube and the bulb came out. This didnt work for all the bulbs so I put shrink tube on the tips of needle nose pliers (for grip) and pulled like hell. That worked.
This was mostly to reduce parasitic drain on my battery. The lights don't always go off when you close the vanity mirror. The LEDs are a lot brighter and 'newer' looking.

Last edited by helphos; 05-16-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarification
jrprich (05-16-2020)
Old 08-11-2021, 08:46 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

I managed to break clean off one of my OEM bulbs while using needle nose pliers

So I have nothing left on that one to pull on..............ANY suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 08-11-2021, 10:40 PM
RicRo
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your only alternative is to basically 'dig out' the remainder of the glass base that's still inside the socket. A slow tedious.... slow tedious... just a slow tedious process. Patience is the key and swear words really don't help or speed up with removing it. Actually did one yesterday evening, no lie... that is "dug out' the remainder of the glass base remaining after busting the OEM bulb with a pr. of duckbills. On a Good News note, I didn't even blow a fuse. If you do blow the fuse it's #2 fuse located at the passengers foot rest panel location.

I have a set of Snap On picks and one of them in that set has a slight twist at the end of it and pointed. Not a full curved (looped) end, but again, it basically has a 'twist' at the end of it and is pointed as mentioned. That one's the ticket for this job. It allows you to reach in at the the sides (L/H & R/H sides) of the bulb base (inside the white socket) and move the remaining glass base from side to side. And as you're making your way in to the sides of the base of the bulb, you're kind of pulling towards you as well with the slightly curved pointed end of the pick. And after multiple many times of going side-to-side with that curved tip pick and pulling towards you, the base loosened up to a point where it basically came out. A very joyous moment. The bulb contacts are at the top and the bottom of the white socket, so the side-to-side 'digging' shouldn't tamper with the contacts, and that's where the patience comes into play and a good light so to be able to see inside the white socket as you're 'digging' in there.

I use a 'miners' type LED light that is on an elastic headband with an adjustable click angle (a past Costco purchase), for literally a perfect aim of LED light into the white socket with the car sun visor tilted at just that perfect angle. That's the other ticket to this process, so to be able to see inside the white socket as you're 'digging' in there so to NOT tamper with the contacts inside the white socket. The right type pick is going to be your saving grace and the correct type of light (not having to hold in your hand) is the other piece of the puzzle. That's my success story with removing a broken sun visor vanity mirror bulb.

C5 2003 - Thanks.

Last edited by RicRo; 08-15-2021 at 11:06 PM.
jrprich (09-07-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Autoeng
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
I managed to break clean off one of my OEM bulbs while using needle nose pliers

So I have nothing left on that one to pull on..............ANY suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Push out from behind like the 2nd post in thread???
jrprich (09-07-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 02:13 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

RicRo,
Thanks for the detailed process you used.
Jim

Last edited by jrprich; 08-12-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:54 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I just spent the $145 and got a new set of visors off eBay last year. Much better then the floppy eared stock ones and the vanity lights are LED.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:01 AM
cmdrken1
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If one wanted to eliminate the chance of a parasitic draw from the sun visor bulbs and never use them anyways could you just remove all the bulbs and be done with it?

*Same question for the hood light *

Get notified of new replies

To Visor vanity mirror light replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visor vanity mirror light replacement