C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Position Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 03:35 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Steering Position Sensor Question

2001 coupe w/ manual. Im getting 2 codes. 28TCS 1) C1287H 2) C1288H Steering Position Sensor In the last couple days it been acting odd. I get the service TCS etc. and will not
clear while driving. But after I turn it off and re-start its off and working fine... It has done this about 4 times out of 20 or so drives. My first thought is a crappy/dirty connection?? Can some one direct to the connector plug and were is the SPS located?? Maybe steer me to some threads from the past??
Mike V

Last edited by mike venth; 02-22-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: grammar fix spelling
Old 02-22-2019, 03:57 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

The SWPS is at the bottom of the steering column at the firewall inside the car.
You can try re-seating its connector. The closeout panel will have to be removed to get to it.
If this does not help the the SWPS will need to be replaced. About a 2 hour job for someone familiar with it. The steering column does need to come out to change it. It does help to remove the drivers seat first to make it easier to work under the dash.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
mike venth (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I you are going to make the repair yourself not only remove the front seat (it gets very crowded in there with the seat) but also remove the air bag fuse (not sure but I believe it was #14) in the drivers side electrical panel a good 30 minutes before you remove the wheel. There have been several article on the procedure check google to see them all. I removed the LF wheel well and rear panel to access the u-joint coupler nut.
mike venth (02-23-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM
ttchybrid
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
I you are going to make the repair yourself not only remove the front seat (it gets very crowded in there with the seat) but also remove the air bag fuse (not sure but I believe it was #14) in the drivers side electrical panel a good 30 minutes before you remove the wheel. There have been several article on the procedure check google to see them all. I removed the LF wheel well and rear panel to access the u-joint coupler nut.
Try this first. Jack up the front tires, turn the steering wheel left to right(lock to lock) 50 to 60 times and this will clean the sensor. I used to do this at the dealer and have had good luck doing this. You've got nothing to loose but a few minutes of your time. Its better than jumping right in and removing the column.
mike venth (02-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

My car started to originally show similar signs to your original post before it turned into an issue every single time I drove it. It could be the beginning of the sensor going bad.
I ended up replacing mine and no codes (C1287 C1288) or messages afterwards.
mike venth (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Just had my sensor replaced today. 1287 and 1288 are now gone.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 PM
gitarman47
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting occasional error messages for Active Handling and Traction Control. Disappears after car is turned off and restarted. A couple of you guys said you had the sensor replaced. GM dealer wanted $800! Would you please tell me what you paid?? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gitarman47
I'm getting occasional error messages for Active Handling and Traction Control. Disappears after car is turned off and restarted. A couple of you guys said you had the sensor replaced. GM dealer wanted $800! Would you please tell me what you paid?? Thanks!
1287 code. Wheel position sensor replaced. Paid about $700. It’s not a cheap fix. Some people have posted diy fixes, but this is the steering column and something I don’t take lightly. I paid for a pro to fix this given the safety issue.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gitarman47
I had mine done last summer. I bought the sensor from GM Parts and had a local Corvette mechanic put it in. Sensor was around 90 and labor was 400.
It ain't cheap but is sure took care of the 1287. My cruise control was dropping out because of the sensor also. It worked fine after the new sensor was installed.
Good luck!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Bushman66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I get the occasional 1287 Code, but I turn off AH/TC on startup so I don't worry about it. Total cost: $0. After doing a search, it appears that one can unhook the SWPS connector and that permanently disable the AH/TC? Can someone confirm this?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 AM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Mine started intermittent as well but over time became permanent. Having the light on the dash was annoying but I decided to get it fixed when the AH started kicking in while driving and the car would jerk and pull to one side without any warning. Not a pleasant experience on the highway at 80mph.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Bushman66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
Mine started intermittent as well but over time became permanent. Having the light on the dash was annoying but I decided to get it fixed when the AH started kicking in while driving and the car would jerk and pull to one side without any warning. Not a pleasant experience on the highway at 80mph.
Precisely why I want to permanently disconnect AH/TC. Any nanny tech that can kill me needs to go.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
I've had the same experience. It's scary as ****! Replace it ASAP!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Position Sensor Question

Quick Reply: Steering Position Sensor Question