C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues... bad pcm? Bcm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 AM
Nassuablue6spd
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues... bad pcm? Bcm?

I’m new here so I hope I posted in the right place. I have a 97’ which my dad bought new. Little back story: car hit guard rail in rear, everything was fixed, few years later the car was sitting in our shop and when it was started fuel got all over the floor if I remember. Took it to a shop and they fixed everything; apparently rats ate a fuel line. My dad then passed away and the car sat in our front yard for a few years, then my step dad came along. He messed with the car and drove it for a few years, and as long as I can remember this car has had these issues. Fuel gauge doesn’t work, almost always takes several cranking attempts to start, warnings like “low coolant” and “low fuel” always are popping up, temp gauge fluctuates 2 marks above and below the 220 mark(believe one fan isn’t working), and occasionally the car will run rough which sometimes ends with it shutting off and not starting for a few minutes. A few other things occasionally happen but these are the main things I remember (This is my second time writing this!). My step dad has replaced the fuel pump and sender twice, and has taken it to a shop which of who checked grounds and did a few other things and never really came up with anything, although they said it could be a bad PCM. Now the car is in my hands, and I’ve done some researching on here. I’ve so far: checked the BCM for corrosion or moisture. There’s slightly evidence from being wet, although I took the BCM out of the metal case and it looked brand new. The car has had a history of a leaking top, The fuse panel next to the BCM has slight corrosion on each of the fuse “blade” connectors which the fuses slide into, telling me that it’s been wet. There was also a lot of spider webs and looked like it’s seen some weather. The carpet isn’t currently wet, though I’ve checked both drains outside the car on both sides. I also pulled the battery and found out that the frame has a bit of corrosion from a leaky battery. I’ve also had the car on lift and checked the PCM connections. The pcm is in such a terrible spot !!! The whole outta connector(s) of the PCM look corroded, although when I pulled both the big connectors off the main connector parts were clean and looked New and were sealed. The gas gauge will at times go to 1/4 tank and around 1/2 tank briefly, then will go back on E which is where it stays. I remember a few months back I was very abruptly woken up in the middle of the night because the alarm randomly started going off. I also pulled codes, and a few modules have a “no comm.” and other modules have 4-5 codes.. I will post them in a reply to this. I’m not very sure where to start or whatever, though I really wanna fix this car. It’s a 6 speed Nassau blue car which is rare, my dad bought it new and only has 47k miles currently. Performance wise, the vehicle runs fine except for times it acts up, and it doesn’t have “low coolant” like one of the warnings on the dash says. Please help, thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 AM
Nassuablue6spd
6th Gear

All the codes that were on the on board display are as follows:

10-PCM P1432 H C

38-RTD NO COMM.

40-BCM B2527 H C

60-IPC B0521 H
U1160 H

99-HVAC NO COMM.

A0-LDCM B2252 H
B2282 H
B2284 H
U1064 H

A1-RDCM B2239 H
B2253 H
B2283 H
B2285 H
U1064 H

A6-SCM NO COMM.

B0-RFA U1096 H
U1064 H
U1016 H
C2105 H
C2115 H C
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Nassuablue6spd
...I also pulled the battery and found out that the frame has a bit of corrosion from a leaky battery. I’ve also had the car on lift and checked the PCM connections. The pcm is in such a terrible spot !!! The whole outta connector(s) of the PCM look corroded, although when I pulled both the big connectors off the main connector parts were clean and looked New and were sealed...
I would recommend beginning by taking care of this. The long term results of a leaking battery can be disastrous if it wasn't properly taken care of when discovered. Acid must be neutralized and everything cleaned up and checked. Take a look at this great step-by-step write-up with many pictures to guide you along the way: click here.

Originally Posted by Nassuablue6spd
...I also pulled codes, and a few modules have a “no comm.” and other modules have 4-5 codes.. I will post them in a reply to this. I’m not very sure where to start or whatever, though I really wanna fix this car...
Then, after taking care of the consequences of the acid leak, I would suggest to make sure your battery is fully charged and address the "No Comm" codes. Click here for details.

Last edited by GCG; 05-02-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Nassuablue6spd
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GCG
I would recommend beginning by taking care of this. The long term results of a leaking battery can be disastrous if it wasn't properly taken care of when discovered. Acid must be neutralized and everything cleaned up and checked. Take a look at this great step-by-step write-up with many pictures to guide you along the way: click here.

Then, after taking care of the consequences of the acid leak, I would suggest to make sure your battery is fully charged and address the "No Comm" codes. Click here for details.
I will search into all that and do it, then report back. You can clearly see a trail of rust where the battery acid flowed and when under the car you can clearly see it didn’t really go onto the computer.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical issues... bad pcm? Bcm?

Quick Reply: Electrical issues... bad pcm? Bcm?