C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 PM
JWM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Disappointed

Recently purchased a set of GMPP Reds from Cultrag through Amazon. Resistance readings average about 790. After installing these, I decided to check resistance on my 21 year old Packards. Readings average about 340. Should have checked the Packards prior to purchase.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:54 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Do the GMPP reds have issues running the car?

Tons of people use them without issue.

I was recommended MSD ignition wires when refreshing them. They work fine. Whatever was on there before worked just as well.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:07 PM
JWM
Racer

Originally Posted by gimp
Do the GMPP reds have issues running the car?

Tons of people use them without issue.

I was recommended MSD ignition wires when refreshing them. They work fine. Whatever was on there before worked just as well.
Does lower resistance increase the efficiency or enhance the spark?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:31 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

So is this an issue the wires or the wires specifically sold by cultrag? Seems like a ton of people run gm red wires. We are going to need more info on this review.

i will say I had some issues with cultrag recently. Tried to buy some hoses from them. Very argumentative. Not helpful. Wouldn’t explain anything to me and wouldn’t give me part numbers. Just expected me to spend money with them blindly.

Last edited by STRMLNE; 07-02-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by JWM
Does lower resistance increase the efficiency or enhance the spark?
Not really. For one thing, the coils are already producing significantly more juice than needed to completely ignite the fuel mixture.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:10 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have had bad luck with some aftermarket wires Especially MSD--It is NOT the wires it is the boots that connect to the coils They don't fit right and often pop off the coils So far the best wires I have found are the Granatelli wires They have a "0" OHMS resistance and SNAP onto the coild perfectly I use them exclusivly
Not cheap though
The following users liked this post:
JWM (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I have been using MSD wires for my LS1's since 2000. Never have I had an issue with them or with them popping off. The only issues I seen with others is fast boot rot from heat or poor shielding causing spark arc on headers.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 AM
JWM
Racer

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
So is this an issue the wires or the wires specifically sold by cultrag? Seems like a ton of people run gm red wires. We are going to need more info on this review.

i will say I had some issues with cultrag recently. Tried to buy some hoses from them. Very argumentative. Not helpful. Wouldn’t explain anything to me and wouldn’t give me part numbers. Just expected me to spend money with them blindly.

As previously stated, I purchased this set through Amazon. I did not deal directly with Cultrag. I suspect that the quality of the 'Reds' sold by Cultrag is no different than that sold by any other vendor. The fit quality compares favorably to the 21 year old Packard wires and they are a pretty shade of red. Color matters not to me as I spend very little time looking at spark plug wires. That pretty much brings us to 'resistance'. I'm sure that a ton of people run gm red wires because a ton of people recommend them. That in no way suggests that the performance of these wires is superior to many others. Just my .02
Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 AM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JWM
As previously stated, I purchased this set through Amazon. I did not deal directly with Cultrag. I suspect that the quality of the 'Reds' sold by Cultrag is no different than that sold by any other vendor. The fit quality compares favorably to the 21 year old Packard wires and they are a pretty shade of red. Color matters not to me as I spend very little time looking at spark plug wires. That pretty much brings us to 'resistance'. I'm sure that a ton of people run gm red wires because a ton of people recommend them. That in no way suggests that the performance of these wires is superior to many others. Just my .02
Your list made it sound like only reds purchased through amazon was the problem and reds purchased from gm directly are better.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Your list made it sound like only reds purchased through amazon was the problem and reds purchased from gm directly are better.
Considering alot of car parts are counterfeit on Amazon's site, there could be a problem. Especially if the cost is less than most other retailers
Old 07-03-2019, 12:44 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by feeder82
Considering alot of car parts are counterfeit on Amazon's site, there could be a problem. Especially if the cost is less than most other retailers
Could be right. But these reds even though sold on amazon are cultrag which sells certified gm parts. I doubt cultrag would sell counterfeits.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

I misunderstood exactly where these wires came from, my mistake

Last edited by feeder82; 07-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 PM
JWM
Racer

Could be right. But these reds even though sold on amazon are cultrag which sells certified gm parts. I doubt cultrag would sell counterfeits.
The wires were sold by Cultrag through Amazon and came in a Cultrag box. The price was $77.49 which, in my opinion, was a waist of money. I was using Packard wires in the early sixties and it appears that they were still top notch thirty years later.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JWM
The wires were sold by Cultrag through Amazon and came in a Cultrag box. The price was $77.49 which, in my opinion, was a waist of money. I was using Packard wires in the early sixties and it appears that they were still top notch thirty years later.
Everyone has their preferences. Good thing you bought them on amazon. They have a lax return policy. Hopefully packard still sells wires.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:09 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Packard is primarily a supplier of wire to OEM manufacturers, such as AC Delco. The name sticks out because it's printed all along the length of the cable. Pretty much the supplier to AC Delco/GM since the 1960's.
I went with the red GMPP mostly because they were a tad less expensive than the OEM versions, while still under the Prime shipping. Fit is perfect, even with the heat shields.
I read mostly unsubstantiated reports that the Granatelli's increase power, but all the Youtube comparisons seem to be engines tuned to the hairy edge of tune. Would be nice to see what an apple-to-apple LS1 or LS6 comparison would do.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Paris Hilton's Dog
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was pleased to see this post because I just observed something very similar.
I recently installed new ACDelco #748CC (also listed as GM 88892763) and measured their resistances as well as those of the originals with approx 88k miles:
Original wires average ~350 ohms
ACDelco 748CC average ~650 ohms

Engine runs fine with new wires. It's not immediately obvious to me that this higher resistance is an issue; I suppose the question would be "What is the acceptable range for plug wire resistance?" Is it possible that the new wires are in spec?
The following users liked this post:
JWM (07-06-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 09:29 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

If you want to go back 35 years ago, then yes less resistance is better, especially when the old Packard Delcore or HTC spark plug wires were about 3500 Ohms/ft or more and the lead lengths were say 24-48" long. But with the advent of the Gen III engine and the adoption of the coil-near-plug setup, the lead lengths have shrunk down to about 9-12" depending on application. Most aftermarket performance spiral wound true alloy conductor spark plug wire have 500 Ohms/ft or less. Once you get much lower than that you really need a Ferrite impregnated core to suppress the EMI/RFI "noise". When you start messing around with the ferrite material and ultra low resistance cores, you have the correct mixture of ferrite particle sizes to get the dB loss signature that you need during CISPR testing - but let's not get too technical here. Even the OEM Packard ferrite spiral core has changed over the past approximate 25 years as the noticed above, starting at around 660 Ohms/ft and moving up as high about 2260 Ohms/ft.as the AC/Delco engineers have adjusted the resistance (sometimes per application) to help mitigated the effects on the increasingly complicated electronics on our vehicles. The latest change to the OEM Packard ferrite spiral core was done for the LT2 engine in the upcoming C8.

So what's the point of all this - basically this, relax because you can't tell the difference between 350 Ohms and 650 Ohms resistance spark plug wires on the LS engine even on the very best dyno - period. Maybe if you were trying making say 2000 HP on a twin turbo LSx setup, but even then it would simple be considered "noise" on the dyno graph. The key thing is that you should be happy with is the the new spark plug wires have you just installed (along with remembering to smear some dielectric grease on the inside of those spark plug boot, right?) because those spark plug boots are fresh and not heat cycle aged like the ones you just took off.

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed

Quick Reply: Disappointed