C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Rob K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling

I was going to get a 2001 C5 with A.H., but a friend is selling his 97, but it doesn't
have Active Handling. Would this car have some sort of traction system? If so, how well does it work in wet weather conditions? This is a possible make or break
question I need some feedback on. I would appreciate any comments anyone might have.
Thanks in advance!
:cheers:
Old 01-18-2003, 01:30 AM
RichS23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling (Rob K)

It has standard traction control. However, once it kicks in, the cars lays down like a dead fish. Later models do not lose as much power once the traction control is activated.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling (RichS23)

:iagree: Once the TC kicks in, its almost like the motor dies for a brief second.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:52 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling (BrightRed C5 SWFL)

:iagree:

It's like turning the ignition off for about 1.5 seconds. I turn it off as soon as I start the car but, when learning to drive I was frequently exposed to driving on wet or, snow or, ice. :yesnod: Of course we didn't have seat belts or radial tires in those days either. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

I like the 97 just fine. It just doesn't have all of the bells and wistles the newer models have. Less to go wrong IMHO.

:cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,023 Likes on 5,377 Posts

Default Re: Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling (scool93535)

The Traction Control system on the 97 uses brake application and throttle control to keep things under contol. I have had it kick in when I was going 5 mph pulling out of a driveway that was below the level of the road. When it kicked in it almost killed the engine due to the low speed. After this happens it takes a couple of seconds for the engine to respond.

However, I have also gone out in the winter time when the roads are dirty with sand and salt dust and been able to spin both tires for quite a distance while the back end was walking back and forth. All the TC did was put on the rear brakes a little.

In most cases it will keep you out of trouble and is a good thing to have turned on when you are on the highway. But if you want to autocross you will do much better with it turned off. When I leave it on it costs me a couple of seconds.

One thing an ABS/Traction Control engineer showed me was pretty astonishing. He drove my car up to a stop sign revved the engine up to about 3000 rpm dumped the clutch and turned hard left. The car just went around the turn like it was glued to the road. If the TC had been turned off we would have done a donut for sure.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling

Quick Reply: Question On A 97 C5 Without Active Handling