C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:55 PM
1Tufffrc
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HVAC Lights not working

Hi guys. So a bit of backstory. I just got my Vette and it’s actually been in my family since it was new. My uncle bought it and when he passed away my Grandfather took it and he always said he would will it to me. I’ve always been a HUGE car nut. Well my Grandfather is now 87 and getting in and out of it is a struggle so he told me to enjoy it. Needless to say the car is super important to me.

With that being said I’m trying to restore her to her former glory. I did the fix for the blank display and I thought all was well until the first time I drove it at night . Turns out the lights for the buttons aren’t working either. Any chance one of you gurus know how to fix the backlighting so they work as well as the display or have a walkthrough?

Old 06-13-2023, 11:30 PM
Alley Oop
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Got this from an old Bill Curlee post HTHYou might not need any bulbs. The HVAC units are notorious for lights going out due to poor soldering from the factory. If you are capable, first try re-soldering all bulbs, especially the burnt out ones. Dimming of the readouts was the result of poor connections due to the before mentioned lousy soldering. I had the problem myself. Eventually it looked like all the readouts went blank. Very simple to remove the HVAC unit and open it. Everything works perfectly after doing a complete re-solder. At this point you can replace all bulbs with LED's.
As weird as it seems, I would suspect that you have an IGNITION SWITCH issue. The contacts inside the switch part are burnt and do not allow proper voltage through the switch contacts for that circuit until the contacts get warm/hot..

Hers a post for you.. You can prove that this is the issue by using a meter and testing the voltage at the mini fuse test points on top of of the fuse. There are TWO small test points on all the fuses. Measure them to CHASSIS GROUND. They should read FULL battery voltage when the switch is ON.
Test the HVAC Fuse and see if it reads LOW when it doesn't work!

- C5 ignition Switch repair -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
Old 06-14-2023, 12:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,723 Likes on 14,217 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:52 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,309 Likes on 1,698 Posts

This guy redid my HVAC LEDs to blue

https://c5led.com

Old 06-14-2023, 02:51 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 673 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
This guy redid my HVAC LEDs to blue
And new ***** too! Very pretty!
Old 06-17-2023, 06:36 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Tufffrc
Hi guys. So a bit of backstory. I just got my Vette and it’s actually been in my family since it was new. My uncle bought it and when he passed away my Grandfather took it and he always said he would will it to me. I’ve always been a HUGE car nut. Well my Grandfather is now 87 and getting in and out of it is a struggle so he told me to enjoy it. Needless to say the car is super important to me.
Logged in as Ed Ramberger
Title:

With that being said I’m trying to restore her to her former glory. I did the fix for the blank display and I thought all was well until the first time I drove it at night . Turns out the lights for the buttons aren’t working either. Any chance one of you gurus know how to fix the backlighting so they work as well as the display or have a walkthrough?
Actually what happens a lot is the 20 plus year old factory bulb filaments are very fragile and break when flipping the unit around. Same thing happened to me a few tears ago - put it back in , a couple were out - pulled it and then a few more went out. Search my posts here and you'll see that I have sent many to Travis Wolfe and others have too. He uses the correct amperage bulbs so the buttons don't burn too hot. After a while I had him switch mine to blue led. You can find him in facebook under Wolfe Restorations / Vettetronics and fleabay as well. Here are pics - it is really hard to capture how good they look. In one of the pics I have the temp display off - it is not burned out.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Lights not working

Quick Reply: HVAC Lights not working