C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intakes - How To Install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:26 PM
curtowens
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes - How To Install?

I just bought the cold air intakes from Mid America that replace the factory inserts on the front end of the car. They came with no instructions. After climbing under the car and looking around under the hood, I've come to the conclusion that I can't see or feel any screws that hold the inserts in. Has anyone installed these that would care to share the secret? I also have the Z06 screens that are inserted in front of the intakes once intalled. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Default Re: Cold Air Intakes - How To Install? (curtowens)

One way to do the installation is to follow the instructions posted in the Tech Tips under "Tools". Go to "West Coast Corvettes Cold Air Screens Installation".
Another is to remove the radiator shroud and go through there or
Remove the front brake caliper cooling ducts and then remove the wiring harness retainer clips.
Once you access the fog light covers then remove the 2 top clips on the stock grill/covers, then the grill/cover screws and remove. Install your open air covers and reassemble. The tech tip instructions will detail the grill/cover and fog light disassembly and reassembly better.
Hope this helps
Good luck!
:thumbs:
Old 02-06-2003, 11:41 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might get some good tips by looking at the VARARAM web site. They did have complete installation instructions that could give you a pretty good idea.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:21 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: Cold Air Intakes - How To Install? (ndirishr1)

the two tips above are good advice. I have a write up floating around here somewhere, but I always have trouble finding it. I've posted it several times here, in C5 General, and the Parts for Sale sections. :seeya
Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 AM
curtowens
Instructor

Default Re: Cold Air Intakes - How To Install? (DsC5)

Can you believe that I took the car with the inner grills to the local Chevy dealer and asked them to install them. I got a call several hours later suggesting that I take the car to a body shop because they felt they were going to have to pull the front of the nose cone off the car to make the swap! I couldn't believe it. I may give it a whirl myself with the instructions provided above and in the tools section on this forum. I did put the outer Z06 screens on. So I look good, I'm just not functional. Does anyone know if the Z06 has these functional grills installed from the factory or is the screen a dress up item as well?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:40 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

Jack the car up in front, place on jack stands.

Remove 5 screws holding front fascia.

Disconnect front brake cooling ducts.

Pull facia down and remove/install from there.

Good luck!

[Modified by chucschramm, 10:40 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-11-2003, 12:52 PM
zznotop
Intermediate

You might consider sending the Cold Air Screens back, drilling out the existing fog light shrouds to allow air flow, then installing the Z06 screens. It achieves the same result and saves the hassle of replacing the shrouds. :)
Old 02-11-2003, 07:49 PM
curtowens
Instructor

Default Re: Cold Air Intakes - How To Install? (zznotop)

Good idea no top...except in my haste to beautify the car I already installed the Z06 front screens!!! :rolleyes: I did that before I realized what an unGodly hassle it is to replace the inner shrouds. With these screens being held in by double sided tape, I dont think I can pull them off and have them reinstalled and feel like they will hold. Oh well, live and learn. :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intakes - How To Install?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes - How To Install?