C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:39 PM
0-60N4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !!

I asked this question piggy back on someone else's post and have not received an answer.

I don't really know when it began, but somehow, now that I have the Vararam and the straight thru exhaust, when I punch the GO pedal, I get 2 10' long straight stacks of black smoke.

I took the car to 2 dealerships in town.
The first dealership says that the car is fine. No fix.
The second dealership says that the car is running extremely rich. No issue. And it is my fault for adding straight exhaust and cool air intake. No fix.

This is black smoke. Lots of it. Only when the GO pedal is on the floor. Happens whether in neutral and trying to reproduce it, or when under load. Very predictable. Every time.

Do I need to get a dyno tune? Am I tearing things up that I don't know about? I take it this means that I am leaving some HP on the table.

Finally, why hasn't my computer compensated for this situation.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !! (0-60N4)

How many miles since the Vararam install ??
Old 02-17-2003, 12:30 AM
IM4A2Z
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !! (0-60N4)

I would find a good LS1 Edit tuner in your area and let them get your Air/Fuel ratio back in line. You will notice a big difference in performance if your currently running rich enough to smoke that bad. :eek:
Old 02-17-2003, 12:48 AM
evil-1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !! (IM4A2Z)

...... :yesnod: Yup, scan and tune .
Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

The Vararam can create a lean condition. Your PCM is probably adding too much fuel, at WOT, to compensate. You need to check the LTFT's. If they're positive that's the problem. They need to be negative.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:11 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Running rich could sure cause the smoke, but if the car is running great the a/f mixture may not be the problem.
I had a 383 stroker in an F-body that smoked under acceleration. I worked with the a/f ratio, switched from Holley to Edelbrock and still had smoke. I eventually discovered that my problem was from the cats. Using racing fuel at the track and 102+ on the street melted the converter material. Cleaning out the cats cleaned up my smoke. No luck with dealers or shops on this issue.
I saw you listed an exhaust mod, but if you still have cats and used racing fuel or additives, consider my experience.
My $.02
:yesnod:
Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !! (jfpilla)

The Vararam can create a lean condition. Your PCM is probably adding too much fuel, at WOT, to compensate. You need to check the LTFT's. If they're positive that's the problem. They need to be negative.
:iagree: Tune it.

6Krpm- Welcome to the FORUM :cheers:
Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

You mentioned a "straight through exhaust." Do you still have cats and O2 sensors? If not, that's probably your problem.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:58 AM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !! (Duck916)

how many miles on the car? also what are the oil temps when you are seeing this? do you always let the oil heat to 160 degrees f before wot. this is probably a sign of the car running rich, but also given it is an 2001 there is a slight chance that this is an issue with oil blow by from the rings. my .02

Get notified of new replies

To 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !!

Quick Reply: 10' long black sooty smoke trails out the tail pipes when romping the GO pedal !!