C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims?

I have heard the Hoosier QTP are great Drag Tires that hook better than et streets. I assume the QTP are DOT approved tires like et streets, as i believe they have a few squiqqley lines on them like th et streets.

More importantly, are they sold in 16 inch sizes to accomdate the CCW dragrims that fit the 26x11.5x16 et streets and the 28x16 Hoosier Drags. Looking for every advantage i can to hook on the street and track and if these are available and hook better than et streets, seems like a logical choice.

Thanks,

MTI 427 Roadster
Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (MTI 427 Roadster)

Yes, if you search the archives you will find a post from John(racewheel) where the new QTP's are on a silver corvette.
Phillip
Old 02-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (Phil97SVT)

Yes, if you search the archives you will find a post from John(racewheel) where the new QTP's are on a silver corvette.
Phillip
I´m pretty sure that this were the Hoosier slicks on this silver C5.

BTW, Jim, go for the best traction and use the Hoosier slicks.
I heard they not only hook better, but also are more stable at higher speeds than the ET streets.

Michael
Old 02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (Austrian Vette)

I heard they not only hook better, but also are more stable at higher speeds than the ET streets.
I have the Hooser slick on my C5 right now. It is a 28x10x16 time. For it to fit on the C5, the rear needs to be raise all the way up and then realigned. The time pretty much fills the entire wheel well, but there is no rubbing. When you place the stock rears back on, the rear has a total 4x4 look. After this race season, I plan on lowering the rear end and realigning again.

Keith

Old 02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (kromberg)

KROMBERG:

Do you run the Hoosier Slicks on the street at? If yes, how do they handle and hold up durabilty wise on the streets?

Thanks,

MTI 427 Roadster
Old 02-27-2003, 02:25 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (MTI 427 Roadster)

Do you run the Hoosier Slicks on the street at? If yes, how do they handle and hold up durabilty wise on the streets?
No, a true slick is not designed to run on the street. The tire is made out of a much soft compound than even ET Streets. Slicks usually wear out after a hundred miles or so. That could be 60 to 70 passes on the strip or 4 runs to the store for food :D

Keith

Old 02-27-2003, 02:27 PM
BLUBYU2002C5
Burning Brakes

Im also interested in this information :steering:
Old 02-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (kromberg)

No, a true slick is not designed to run on the street. The tire is made out of a much soft compound than even ET Streets. Slicks usually wear out after a hundred miles or so. That could be 60 to 70 passes on the strip or 4 runs to the store for food :D

Keith

That's why i am interested in the HOOSIER QTP b/c i am looking for a street legal tire that is going to hook up 500rwtq the best on the street. The QTPS are DOT approved like et streets, correct? Does anyone know whether they hook up better than et streets? I like using my et streets on the street but want to know if there is a better option out there. Obviously, a full out drag tire like the HOOSIER will be the tire of choice for the DRAGSTRIP.

THanks,

MTI 427 Roadster
Old 02-27-2003, 05:03 PM
kwik8racr
Drifting

Hey Jim, remember that day we went for a ride in my car we had the Hoosier slicks on! :D I dont drive it all the time on the street like that, but every once in a while it is fun!

Kromberg, why do you feel you need to re-align it? That seems like a lot of work, all I do is when I go to the track, lay under the car with a ratchet, raise the rear up for "track" mode, and when I am done for the day, lower it back down to "street" mode.I usually change my tires at home and drive to the track with the slicks on, you can drive around with it lowered, the only time you need to worry about your tires rubbing is when you launch at the track.
It only takes about 3 minutes to raise or lower it. Just thought I would try to save you some work and money by having it aligned twice a year :cheers:
Old 02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
alexWS6
Drifting

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (kwik8racr)

theres a QTP 26x9.5x16 but I dunno if thats wide enough for the CCWs (not sure of the rear width on the drag setup) the only other closest thing is a 35x22.5x16 :crazy: :crazy: From my experience the Hoosier QTPs and M/T ET streets are SO alike its not worth switching to, if you do switch step up to the Hoosier 28s. There just really arent that many 16" slick tire options (man I'm glad I have 15s for my T/A- 28x10.5x15 ET street!! :cool: )
Old 02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (alexWS6)

I think the ET Streets are your best bet. :yesnod: Even with 4.10s, I can nail the gas in 1st gear on the street with ET Streets and they'll dead hook. It's awesome. :cool:

AlexWS6, sharp looking car. :cool: Nice to see another car with the black CCW drag setup. :cool:
Old 02-27-2003, 09:22 PM
alexWS6
Drifting

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (BillY2KFRC)

Thanks bill, actually they are the street setup 18s all around. dont quite have enough power to need the 16" drags.....yet ;) Your car and a couple others are what convinced me that they look good :cheers:
Old 02-28-2003, 12:00 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (alexWS6)

Thanks bill, actually they are the street setup 18s all around. dont quite have enough power to need the 16" drags.....yet ;) Your car and a couple others are what convinced me that they look good :cheers:
Yeah, looking at them a little closer I can tell they're 18s, they look great. I really like them with silver. :cool:
Old 02-28-2003, 02:51 AM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Jim,

If you are not hooking with your current ET street, have you thought that your current set might be worn out & you need new ET street tires? As you can see, there are several people on the forum who have cut 1.5 60' time with them.

I Personally don't like the idea of having 28" tire at the back. As mentioned, you'll need to raise & lower your car frequently. Besides, you'll need to reprogram your shift points for the 28" tire, otherwise you'll be shifting 400 rpm sooner. After the race when you switch to your street driven tire (which would be ~26"), you'll again have to reprogram your shift points; otherwise you'll be hitting rev limiter on your WOT shifts. Also the 28" tire would offset your current 3.73 gears ratio (they'll act like a 3.45 ratio or so).

To me this is too much hassle for no more than .05 gain in the 60' time would translate to ~.1 ET difference.

Iam planning to stick with my ET street for the time being. I'll be doing long burnouts, running low pressure & I might even spray some VHT. Having 28" tire at the back is the last thing I would want to do.

[Modified by Corvette4ever, 1:56 AM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims? (Corvette4ever)

Khalid:

I hear ya my man. I certainly will be doing a ton of testing with my new 427 motor and how the et streets (they are new/second set i have had) hook up the power on the street and the drags. I will fully use up this new set of et streets and will try all the basic suggestions that you mentioned, but am pretty sure that the et streets will not hook up my 500rwtq, coupled with my hard hitting drag converter, Yank Prothruster 4000 with 2.75 str. :yesnod: If they don't do the job then i will have no choice but to go to the hoosiers all out drags.

MTI is finsihing up my car as we speak and if all goes well she comes home in about 1.5 weeks. Should be posting initial dyno numbers soon and the anticipation and excitment of the completion of my long awaited MTI 427 Ironblock project is BUIDLING UP at a RAPID PACE! :crazy:

:seeya MTI 427 Roadster

Get notified of new replies

To Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims?

Quick Reply: Will Hoosiers Quick Time Pros fit on the CCW C5 DragRims?