C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks!

I'm in the middle of doing a front to rear caliper/rotor switch and am rebuilding the set of calipers.

After reviewing the instructions, I'm a little confused as to the size (seems too large) and proper placement of the thin rubber seal, marked #6.

The Instructions state, " Insert Seals (6) into body (5) bore seal grooves and ensure the seals are not twisted."

It appears to me that the ring is oversized compared to the cylinder opening....and larger than the piston itself :( All the seals, etc came in a rebuild kit, sealed from GM and both kits are the same.

Can someone lend a hand :cheers:

[Modified by Mean Green 2000, 12:04 PM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 11:58 AM
ifeeltheneedforspeed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks! (Mean Green 2000)

Mean, the large O-ring shaped seal goes into the caliper bore where there is a machined channel. You must use lubrication. I use a brake rebuild lubrication fluid that you can get at any auto parts store. Or, you can use plain brake fluid. Clean out your caliper bore with air and squirt brake fluid (if you don't have the rebuild lube) all in the bore. Take the seal and coat it with brake fluid or lube. Puch it down into the machined channel and make sure it is flat and not twisted. The inside of the seal will stick out beyond the bore of the caliper about 1/4 mm. This is normal.

You also have the dust boots that need to be installed first on the brake piston. Lube the piston with fluid or lube, all over. Push the boot on from the end that is smooth. It will slide all the way down till it seats into the channel cut into the circumference of the piston.

When you push the piston into the caliper bore make sure everything is whell lubed. It is a tight fit, take your time and push it in straight and with steady firm force.

Call me at 239-404-1058 if you have questions. I have done this a dozen times to a C5. 100 times with other cars.

Bill
Old 03-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks! (ifeeltheneedforspeed)

thanks Bill.....that's exactly what i was looking for :D :cheers:

I took a break and started playing GT3 until I got an answer but now I'll dive back in and if I run into any issues, I'll call, thanks for the offer :D (you may want to delete that # now ;))

And looking at the pics I posted....the 2nd one in particular, the channel you mentioned, is at the top of the bore correct :) :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks!

Quick Reply: Please Help if You've Rebuilt Your Calipers, Thanks!