C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMPARISON: BASE SHOCKS Vs. 2001 Z06 SHOCKS Vs. BILSTEIN SPORTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 09:02 AM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default COMPARISON: BASE SHOCKS Vs. 2001 Z06 SHOCKS Vs. BILSTEIN SPORTS

This is a question that has been posed many times on the Forum, so here is a first hand comparison for the CorvetteForum archives:

I just switched to Bilsteins from 2001 Z06 shocks. The 2001 Z06 shocks were stiffer in the rear than the 2002's allowing 2002's to hook up better during hard acceleration. But to help answer your question, from a comparison standpoint. Oh, also know my Vert is lowered as far as stock bolts (1.25-1.5" fender clearance), has the base springs, and Z06 bars and links.
Base shocks

Soft all around and had the most travel of the three. Great for everyday driving but had too much "float" for agressive driving. Coming from cars with adjustable shocks (Koni's), my Vert actually felt sloppy in the twisties.

The Z06 bars helped tremendously controlling body "roll" but the sloppiness and float was still there. Base shocks respond well to lowering on stock bolts in terms of not bottoming out, but I found that to be the only positive.

2001 Z06 shocks

Sloppiness and float eliminated with much more control in curves and twisties. If someone was to ask me how much firmer are Z06 shocks compared to base, I would reply 2-3 times as firm. Firmness isn't always indicative of a better shock but after driving a Z51 equipped 99 six speed Coupe and getting into my Vert right after, Z06 shocks are noticably more aggressively valved and allowed me to drive deeper into curves. Yes, Z06 shocks do provide a firmer ride than Z51's. An all around firmer ride.

The only problem I noticed was that the back shock bottomed out only in the worse road irregularities.

Bilstein Sports

More compliant shock compared to Z06 shocks in everyday driving situations. But during aggressive driving situations, they are progressively firmer. They do not bottom out in even the worse road irregularities and if I wanted to lower my Vert another .5"-1", the bushings are setup so you can easily cut a segment of the bushing.

Now the question that was posed to me when I was looking for either Bilsteins or Z06 shocks, which were available at a great price, "How many Z06 owners upgrade their shocks?" Racer44 has and some others either because they have lowered their rides or are looking for the ultimate in setup-ability (coilovers or adjustibles).

Conclusion?

For those who use their Vettes strictly as Sunday boulevard cruisers, go with the base shocks. They are the Caddilac of Corvette shocks.

If you are looking to upgrade from base shocks and the goal is a significant improvement in "at the limit" characteristics but are on a budget, go with Z06 shocks. Don't get them if you think your Z51 or base shock equipped Vette rides rough or too firm.

If you are lowered, you might want to consider Bilsteins, they are an all-around great shock which was an improvement over Z06 shocks as far as ride, travel, and at the limit handling.

Bang for the buck? Z06 shocks for about $150.00 shipped. Why did I upgrade my Z06 shocks to Bilsteins? Only because I paid less than $130.00 for a new set. And that was a deal I couldn't refuse since I was able to sell the Z06 shocks for the cost of the Bilsteins.

:thumbs:

Quick Reply: COMPARISON: BASE SHOCKS Vs. 2001 Z06 SHOCKS Vs. BILSTEIN SPORTS