C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 coupe elecrical short??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:25 AM
WhipLash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default 2001 coupe electrical short??

2001 coupe dead battery, will start on first try from a jumper box and run, (starter is fine) alternator is working properly and fluxes between 13-14amps while running. It is clear I need a new battery and that this one has been totally drained. But the question is why??

indicator 1:
All electrical cockpit switches seem to operate fine with the exception of the headlights, all lights will go on but the headlights do not pop up. (they are on but remain in the down position). It seems to me that they should operate if there is enough power to operate all the other systems during the idle??

Problem indicator 2:
It appears that the dash lights remained on way too long after the key was removed from the ignition and after I left the cockpit. It remained on until whatever battery charge was accumulated in the 35 min idle was used up.

Car would not restart immediately after shut off.

I am going to have to take it for service since it is still under warranty, but has anyone else had this kind of problem? Could it just be a dead battery or am I correct that it appears to have an electrical fault?

Thanks!
:cry

[Modified by WhipLash, 5:10 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
reba1971
2nd Gear

Default Re: 2001 coupe elecrical short?? (WhipLash)

Have the same problem with 01 vert. Dealer first said battery just needed charging. I had them keep it for two days and battery never went dead. Two days after bringing it home, it was dead again. They replaced the battery but I noticed the dash lights were still on Aan hour after driving the car.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 2001 coupe elecrical short?? (reba1971)

I'm no expert but when I got my '99 I was told that C5's are touchy about power! Oh yeah they are! Recently as everyone is getting ready to wake their babies out of hibernation, there has been a rash of postings concerning dead batteries and mis-behaving electrical issues. From what I have learned after reading the various posts is:

1) while in storage your battery will go dead in 3 - 5 weeks if not on a trickle charge (battery tender) or put on some sort of a charge every 1 - 2 weeks for a day or so. (this is what I have been doing, easy since my car is in my garage and I have easy access).

2) you can also completely disconnect your battery (better to remove from car) it will still have to be maintained but without the load of the C5 systems it will last much longer before needing a re-charge.

3) trying to start your car with a dead or almost dead battery seems to bring various little gremlins into life! (they can be heard clicking relays and making other things moan). Best thing to do if car won't start is to fully charge battery (at least for a day or two) before trying again. If not the gremlins will hang around to annoy you.

4) once a fully charged battery is placed in your C5, it will roar to life and make you ever so happy you have followed these simple rules.

There you have it. My humble suggestions to avoid more stress. :)
Old 03-16-2003, 07:18 PM
dragerty
Instructor

Default Re: 2001 coupe elecrical short?? (Miaugi)

I'm no expert but when I got my '99 I was told that C5's are touchy about power! Oh yeah they are! Recently as everyone is getting ready to wake their babies out of hibernation, there has been a rash of postings concerning dead batteries and mis-behaving electrical issues. From what I have learned after reading the various posts is:

1) while in storage your battery will go dead in 3 - 5 weeks if not on a trickle charge (battery tender) or put on some sort of a charge every 1 - 2 weeks for a day or so. (this is what I have been doing, easy since my car is in my garage and I have easy access).

2) you can also completely disconnect your battery (better to remove from car) it will still have to be maintained but without the load of the C5 systems it will last much longer before needing a re-charge.

3) trying to start your car with a dead or almost dead battery seems to bring various little gremlins into life! (they can be heard clicking relays and making other things moan). Best thing to do if car won't start is to fully charge battery (at least for a day or two) before trying again. If not the gremlins will hang around to annoy you.

4) once a fully charged battery is placed in your C5, it will roar to life and make you ever so happy you have followed these simple rules.

There you have it. My humble suggestions to avoid more stress. :)
Very :cool: post :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 AM
WhipLash
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: 2001 coupe elecrical short?? (dragerty)

Thank you everyone for your help, I was concerned it might be more than that, and I am so glad to hear its probably just the battery.

:)

Laura
:cheers:
Old 03-18-2003, 01:50 PM
WhipLash
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran

well day two has revealed it was infact more than just a dead battery.
There is a draw when the car is shut off that is causing the problem.
Dealer says its not good and it seems to be in the BCM (Body Controls)
But they have no idea exactly where yet.

I think I need a drink :cry
Old 03-27-2003, 02:21 AM
mikeyd61
Advanced

Hi , did you get your electrical problem fixed yet ? better yet did you have that drink yet...maybe we can cruse some day and get one or two or a few together . lol
I live a few towns to the north of you above Jim Thorpe.
also who do you take your vet to for service, I'm looking for a good place to take mine. Thanks MikeyD :chevy
Old 03-27-2003, 02:34 PM
WhipLash
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: 2001 coupe elecrical short?? (mikeyd61)

Thanks for asking, yes it has been fixed! The problem was with the BCM itself.
Nope didnt get to the drinkin part. :cry

[Modified by WhipLash, 5:53 PM 4/1/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 coupe elecrical short??

Quick Reply: 2001 coupe elecrical short??