C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 11:28 PM
RICHIE B
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS?

Ordering headers this week and was debating over these two .I am also ordering a cam no plans for heads anytime soon. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
Old 03-23-2003, 02:44 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (RICHIE B)

dont know. got mallett headers picked up 20 rwhp :cheers:
Old 03-23-2003, 11:55 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Between those two - I would have to say TPIS - and keep in mind that you will need to do some welding to get them all tucked in and finished.. AND - I would suggest that you have the shop use flanges instead of welding them into one single piece.. as it will make it easier down the road to do maintenance.. :cheers:

Ordering headers this week and was debating over these two .I am also ordering a cam no plans for heads anytime soon. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
Old 03-23-2003, 12:12 PM
zul8r
Instructor

Neither :lol:
Actually I believe the LG are making about 22-25rwhp just the longtubes. I have also heard good things about the Mallet. But your looking at $2k for just the headers atleast for the LG. I am going with the hole FLP system so I will be able to just take off the stock system and put it back if I choose. I personally saw a 02 Z06 make 23rwhp with the FLP system with cats, without cats it made 26rwhp.
I have seen the TPIS make 13rwhp

[Modified by zul8r, 5:13 PM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 12:18 PM
c5 devil
Racer

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (zul8r)

I went with FLP and i love it...no welding...and it sounds great with the corsa catback....also, i felt the car much much faster in the hole band....great lowend and topend....Good Luck
Old 03-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Carsnob
Pro

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (bparker)

Between those two - I would have to say TPIS - and keep in mind that you will need to do some welding to get them all tucked in and finished.. AND - I would suggest that you have the shop use flanges instead of welding them into one single piece.. as it will make it easier down the road to do maintenance.. :cheers:
Tell me more about these "flanges". I want to be able to 'splain this to the shop when I get mine installed. Also, what's kind of maintenance are you talking about. I assume engine/drivetrain work not associated with the headers.

Thanks!

Oh, and as to not be accused of hijacking the thread. I went with the TPIS 'cause they are the cheapest I could find and although some others may flow a little better; double the money for a 5-10% gain over TPIS is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I'm getting the LGMs very soon :D

Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS?
and unless your looking for some kinda wicca intervention, then the word you're looking for is, "which" :D :lolg:
Old 03-23-2003, 08:32 PM
dexter
Team Owner

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (Mean Green 2000)

...and unless your looking for some kinda wicca intervention, then the word you're looking for is, "which" :D :lolg:
MG2K = Forum syntax police. :rofl: :lolg:
Old 03-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually been given a tour of the LG Motorsports 20,000sq ft shop. The G2 LT Headers are hand made in phases. They start with the headers bolted to a mock-up LS1 engine for a perfect glove-like fit. Then, they do some welding magic. No, I do not work for LGM, but I am a very satisfied customer of LG Motorsports. In fact, my next mod is the G2 LT Headers w/hi-flow cats which will add 25-30rwhp. They will do a before & after dyno to prove the 25-30rwhp gain. LG knows Corvettes!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:52 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (Carsnob)

Yes - the flanges will save you some labor time (costs) when you have the clutch replaced - and or anytime the torque tube needs to come out - as when you weld (if you weld) you have the have them cut and re-welded..

They are designed to be a slip fit - but in "many cases" the slip fits end up leaking so people go ahead and have them welded. So - just do it right the first time and have flanges welded on for a nice tight sealed setup and you wont have to deal with the leaks or the shop guys cussing at you when they replace your clutch down the road... :D

Here is a pic of them with flanges..

Also - guys I hear ya - yes LGs are the best money can buy - BUT - some people cant afford them (like me) so we must get the most for our dollar.. :lol:

Tell me more about these "flanges". I want to be able to 'splain this to the shop when I get mine installed. Also, what's kind of maintenance are you talking about. I assume engine/drivetrain work not associated with the headers.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (Cary)

;) :D Dexter :D

In fact, my next mod is the G2 LT Headers w/hi-flow cats which will add 25-30rwhp. They will do a before & after dyno to prove the 25-30rwhp gain. LG knows Corvettes!
that's the setup I'm currently having built, along with the xpipe :D and I'm hoping to get 350/350 outta the setup :D
Old 03-23-2003, 08:58 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Lou showed me his newest 3" setup and man it is impressive - especially the 3" x-pipe combo..

If the price could come down - I would be all over them - but again I cant spend 2K for 10-15 more hp right now.. :nonod:

mark - you are really going to freak out when you see how long those things are.. I joked with Lou asking if he designed them for a BUS!!! HAHAHA!

that's the setup I'm currently having built, along with the xpipe :D and I'm hoping to get 350/350 outta the setup :D
Old 03-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Carsnob
Pro

Thanks for the pic. I understand what you are talking about now. I see you didn't use the H-pipe provided at all. Looks like aftermarket cats too, but I plan on keeping the stockers.

Can I just have the provided h-pipe welded to the cats then have them put on the flanges? What kind of extra cost will this add to the install?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

mark - you are really going to freak out when you see how long those things are.. I joked with Lou asking if he designed them for a BUS!!! HAHAHA!
I can't wait :D....I pushed my set back a little by adding the cats, but the before and after will be more of an apples-to-apples comparison and I'll be a little more secure with the cats in place and the real O2 sensors in place :D
Old 03-23-2003, 09:08 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Yep - I punched out my Cats and hated the smell - so I bought Randoms Cats/X-Pipe setup for a replacement - which is why you see the aftermarket setup..

But your stocker will look just the same as mine at the header/h-pipe junction..

Extra cost? I cant say - but it doesnt add but like 30 mins to the total labor (if your shop offers welding services too) - if not just have them slip fit them and then take it to a welding/muffler shpo afterwards and I would think they would/could/should charge you more than 100 bucks to do it.. In fact I would hesitate to pay more than 50 or 75 as it really doesnt take longer than 30 mins for them to do it.. and 50 for 1/2 hours labor is plenty and 75 if they are realy slow..

Here is a pic of that random setup with the x-pipe..

Thanks for the pic. I understand what you are talking about now. I see you didn't use the H-pipe provided at all. Looks like aftermarket cats too, but I plan on keeping the stockers.

Can I just have the provided h-pipe welded to the cats then have them put on the flanges? What kind of extra cost will this add to the install?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

bparker,

Hey guy Lou told me last Friday he is planning on coming out with a "production" type version of his G2 LT Headers that will still put out 25-30rwhp. These Headers will be less $$$ than his current G2 LT's. I realize $$$ is tight, but 2K (current price & his upcoming headers will be less) for 30rwhp still sounds good, IMO. I think TPIS max gain is 17rwhp, so for twice the price you get almost twice the rwhp gain. Although I have heard good things about TPIS.

Do you know Lou sales mid-length Stainless Steel Headers for $999.999 that will give about the same rwhp gain as the TPIS?
I have heard FLPs can have some ground clearance issues on the C5's.
I really do not trust SLP products. Why, seems the rwhp gain advertised by SLP is not always true. However, the Firehawk & SS Camaro are awesome FBodys.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Carsnob
Pro

That exhaust setup is gorgeous. Was there a problem with the alignment for the bolts on the tabs down by the collectors. I noticed they are missing. Or are they just not necessary?

As for twice the cost for twice the power. 17 is more than half 30 and $875 (I did a lot of looking) total is less than half 2g's. I would assume install is about the same.

What really chaps my hide is mustang and even F-body guys (same !@#$ motor) don't pay near this kind of money for headers :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS?

Old 03-23-2003, 09:34 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS? (dexter)

...and unless your looking for some kinda wicca intervention, then the word you're looking for is, "which" :D :lolg:MG2K = Forum syntax police. :rofl: :lolg:
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

As for twice the cost for twice the power. 17 is more than half 30 and $875 (I did a lot of looking) total is less than half 2g's. I would assume install is about the same.

What really chaps my hide is mustang and even F-body guys (same !@#$
motor) don't pay near this kind of money for headers :mad [/QUOTE]

Carsnob, please read my post again :cuss I said for ALMOST twice the rwhp gain. I do realize 17x2=34. Besides, like I said, too, soon LG will have a 25-30 rwhp gain headers for less than his current price.

I do agree that Vette mods seem to be twice the cost of the FBody mods. I had a 2002 NHRA SE T/A that I trade-in for my Vette, 2001 w/8700 miles, back in December. Man, I mean no disrespect here & I know $$$ is tight these days. Its just that I had some things done last Friday to my Vette at LG Motorsports, in Wylie, TX and I'm real pleased with the service/results :)
I drove 235 miles to LGM & I'll do it again this summer for the G2 LT's.

You did some research, right? Well I respect that & encourage everyone to do the same. A lot of choices are subjective & the bottom line is as long as a person is satisfied with a particular mod then its all good, if you know what I mean :cheers:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Carsnob
Pro

Cary, no offence. If I could afford a set of 2grand headers (or even the ones I bought for that matter) I would be all over a set that give me 30rwhp. BUT the original poster is obviously looking for a bit more budget minded header (given the topic). I have a set of headers that he mentioned specifically so I feel obliged to put in my .02

I can't really comment on the power they give as I don't have mine on yet :banghead:

Quick Reply: Witch headers make more power SLP TPIS?