C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Tires On A C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:45 PM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (EHS)

Anyone that needs new tires, I would suggest you read Hib's article on the new Goodyear F1 GS_D3. Here is the link: http://www.zr1.net/F1tire.html
I am on my second second of F1 Supercars on my Z06, with many track days and think they are great on the Z. I replaced my Michelin Pilot Sports with the GY F1 GS-D3 on my 2000 convertible and in my opinion they are a far better tire, wet, dry whatever. :steering:
Old 05-12-2003, 10:58 PM
nyhollywood
Racer

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (gbecton)

Hate to but in, but I have the same question.
I want to put 2002 zo6 rims on my 99 hardtop. Will my sensors fit on these rims? I'm getting mixed answers, anyone have them on? Thanks Brian
:skep:
Old 05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (nyhollywood)

Hate to but in, but I have the same question.
I want to put 2002 zo6 rims on my 99 hardtop. Will my sensors fit on these rims? I'm getting mixed answers, anyone have them on? Thanks Brian
:skep:
Yes. I have a 2000 convertible, with stock size snow tires on them. My summer set is OEM Z06 wheels with the Eagle F1s. Both have OEM senors that are installed and work without problems.

The only isssue is that you need to reprogram when switching sets. The computer only knows four sensors at a time. Reprogramming takes about 30 seconds with a strong magnet. No other tools required.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:27 PM
nyhollywood
Racer

Are the 2000 sensors the same ones as the 99's? I just want to make sure. The tire shop won't even try to put them on. My friend has new cromies and I want his rims. If you say so , I'm just going to go to another shop and go for broke. Thanks, Brian :D :D
Old 05-13-2003, 12:48 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (gbecton)

Anyone that needs new tires, I would suggest you read Hib's article on the new Goodyear F1 GS_D3. Here is the link: http://www.zr1.net/F1tire.html
I am on my second second of F1 Supercars on my Z06, with many track days and think they are great on the Z. I replaced my Michelin Pilot Sports with the GY F1 GS-D3 on my 2000 convertible and in my opinion they are a far better tire, wet, dry whatever. :steering:
Thanks for the article!! A very interesting read for sure. How do the Gs-D3's relate to the supercar tires in terms of dry performance?
Old 05-13-2003, 01:00 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Fdupny, EHS: I'm sure that the tires are going to be better on an optimal rim size, else GM wouldn't have bothered asking for a larger rim on the Z06. In that I do agree. On the other hand, I'm (as you can tell above) not into buying new rims, so would it be safe to say the 295's on a 9.5" rim are a major improvement over the stock tires? I like the look of bigger rubber, as well as the drop in unsprung weight I'd get with non-runflat 295's. Also, are there any safety issues associated with 295's on a 9.5 rim? I'd assume not since Aquaman just put his through the ringer last week and lived.

EHS: Thanks for the explanation! I'm not one to just take words at face value without some supporting evidence.

Also, can anyone verbalize exactly how the potential issues with 295's on a 9.5 rim might manifest from the driver's standpoint?

Thanks for the great replies! :cheers:
Old 05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (fdupny)

Yeah BUT if you had them on an 10.5"(z06) or 11" rim you may have had better numbers. I think what he was saying is that with the stock non-Z06 wheel width you will not get all of the performance available (and that you are paying for) from the tire with the stock (9.5":rolleyes: ) C5 rims vs. upgrading to Z06+ width. To get the full potential out of the tire demands that you use a rim wider than 9.5". That all he was saying. Not that you can't do it and acheive satisfactory results.

If it was up to me I would upgrade the rims past Z06 specs and get S-02s.
They rock in the wet and are awesome in the dry.
I went with the KDs because my car does not see rain.
Check my sig for wheel specs.
Again I have too disagree I do not believe for a second that my "base" suspension C5 could do better then .98 on a skidpad with a wider wheel I honestly believe that's all the car had. The performance of the 295 tire is not affected by the wheel size. I drove the car 7K miles in 8 days raced on 8 tracks including a very bumpy dirt track that sent me sideways a good majority of time in the turns, went a sustained 180 on a few highways, went 160+ on a few tracks, hit sustained maximum G's on more then a few tracks and a few highway's(I-79 in WV and I-26 in TN.)with not one single tire related problem.

Also I agree that the S-02 and S-03 are good tires and some good drivers used them during the race. But the top drivers were on KD's and MX's with a couple P-Zero's thrown in the mix. We raced on some really wet tracks and some real hot dry ones. The MX is hands down the best tire for the money and probably the second best cost no object. Regardless of conditions. In fact Grassroots motorsports magazine has named them the tire of choice for street tire racing class due to the performance per dollar. They also tested both the KD and the MX against the Pilot sport regarded as the best wet tire in the industry and they got as good or better lap times and skid pad results from both the KD and the MX. Though they were testing 225/50's not 295/35's

I hate to see people selling the KD short in the wet. It's a great tire. It's just over $100 more per same size as the MX and I know it ain't that much better. Plus the MX has a 220 tread wear compared to 180 for the KD yet a bigger bargain.

Manf. can say all they want they are just trying to protect themselfs and I don't blame them but there are many guys with 295 on stock C5 wheels that have never seen a problem. I will bet that not one manufacturer put their 295's through as much torture as I did in the last week. I did a tire patch test last night after thinking about what was being discussed here and my 255 front is putting down less tire patch compared to tread width then my 295 rear. meaning the 295's are not rolling on the sidewall or pinched because of the small wheel size.

To each their own on tire make and size but Brody, I can assure with absolute certainty that you WILL NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE WITH THE 295's on your wheels. :cheers:
Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 AM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (BQuicksilver)

BQuicksilver-in answer to your question about dry performance of the F1 Supercar vs the F1 GS-D3. I have not driven the 2000 Convertible on the track like I have the Z06. The F1 Supercar tires are a great street/track tire.
I ran a 1:57 at Sears Point (Infineon), a 1:54 at Spring Mountain (Bragg-Smith). I also ran in the rain at Spring Mountain and felt pretty good, but did not push it. The F1 GS-D3 perform well on dry and wet roads, seat of the pants feel, the GS-D3 are better on wet roads than the Supercars. Hope this helps. :steering:
Old 05-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Aquaman)

The performance of the 295 tire is not affected by the wheel size.
That is so not true.
What I think you mean is the FOR YOUR PURPOSES it is not affected and you acheived an acceptable level of performance. Just because they perform outstanding on a 9.5" rim does not mean there is not a difference.
In real absolute terms there is a difference. A very real difference.
If you mounted the same tires on the same car on 11" vs 9.5" rims you WILL see a difference. You WILL get more performance with the wider rim.
You will have less "squirm" and a larger contact patch with the wider rim.
While that extra level of performance may not have been required by you it is there. Trust me. ;) To say there is NO difference is just not correct.
:cheers:
Old 05-13-2003, 11:46 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (nyhollywood)

Are the 2000 sensors the same ones as the 99's? I just want to make sure. The tire shop won't even try to put them on. My friend has new cromies and I want his rims. If you say so , I'm just going to go to another shop and go for broke. Thanks, Brian :D :D
I know there was a change around that time, but I think it was 2001 and up, and before 1999. Just not sure.

Your frinedly Chevy parts counter guy should be able to tell you, based on the parts numbers. I have the 2000, and I know those work.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 PM
vettemike182
Racer

I just ordered Bridgestone S-03's for my 99 FRC. I did a ton of reserch on these as compared to the Goodyear GS-D3's, and the S-03's topped out ever so slightly. Plus the S-03's are somewhat wider than the stock EMT's, and a lot wider than the GS-D3's. Also the S-03's maintain their wet performance well into the life of the tire.

Good Luck!

:steering:
Old 05-13-2003, 12:21 PM
EHS
Race Director

Fdupny, EHS: I'm sure that the tires are going to be better on an optimal rim size, else GM wouldn't have bothered asking for a larger rim on the Z06. In that I do agree. On the other hand, I'm (as you can tell above) not into buying new rims, so would it be safe to say the 295's on a 9.5" rim are a major improvement over the stock tires? I like the look of bigger rubber, as well as the drop in unsprung weight I'd get with non-runflat 295's. Also, are there any safety issues associated with 295's on a 9.5 rim? I'd assume not since Aquaman just put his through the ringer last week and lived.

EHS: Thanks for the explanation! I'm not one to just take words at face value without some supporting evidence.

Also, can anyone verbalize exactly how the potential issues with 295's on a 9.5 rim might manifest from the driver's standpoint?

Thanks for the great replies! :cheers:
I would go to any Goodyear dealer or other tire shop and take a look at their detailed catalog. That should give you a wealth of information on what fits where, and what is recommended.

In the mean time, here are some links and rim recommendations from the Tire Rack web site for the Goodyears:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...le+F1+Supercar

Note that the 295 series tire is suggested for fitment on a 10-11.5 inch wide rim. So, in short, no, I personally would not put them on a 9.5 inch rim.

There is probably a good reason for why a big company like Goodyear doesn't want the tire they spent millions of research dollars going on a smaller rim -- other test drivers' results aside.

If you do have a problem, as a result of the wheel/tire combination or not, it's just one less thing to worry about. I trust the research and effort that has been put into this by Goodyear, GM, and other manufacturers.

[Modified by EHS, 12:25 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 02:15 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

The performance of the 295 tire is not affected by the wheel size.
That is so not true.
What I think you mean is the FOR YOUR PURPOSES it is not affected and you acheived an acceptable level of performance.
:confused: My acceptable level of performance is nearly 1G on a skidpad, and the ability to run in the top 15 cars in a "base", remember "base" suspension C5 coupe.Maybe on bigger wheels I could have out cornered John Boos 335/30/18 equiped,penske shocked, T1 bar'd car. Damn If only I had known, Or maybe the Diablo with 335/30/18's a 29" ride height and full race suspension car could have been pushed aside. It sure wasn't that I was underpowered compared to the comp and running on shocks and springs that have almost 80K on them.Being as competative as possible and catching cars that I should not be able to, that is my "purpose". Oh it's to also have a car that will react well on the street where I am traveling at sometimes 3X + the limit. So your right it does suit my "PURPOSES" very well. Maybe it wont do so great sitting in my garage or at a car show somewhere, or in keyboard arguments where it "could" be better on bigger wheels ;) but on the street and track it performs just exemplary. And to me thats where it counts.

Also, did you not read my entire post where I said more of a % of tread section is hitting the ground on my 295's then on the 255's up front? so exactly how much more tread should hit the ground seeing as I'm already getting all but the last 1/4" of the outside treads to hit the ground. I have been around tires long enough to know what a good contact patch and what's not. I assure you that what I'm getting on the 295's is just fine.

You may want to contest the "theory" of what will work and what won't all day. But in "reality" where for all intensive "PURPOSES" I live and play they are great. :cheers:
Old 05-13-2003, 02:23 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks for making this thread so informative, everyone. :cheers:

I think right now I'm still leaning to the Kumho's since they're being praised by Aquaman, and they're very affordable.

So when I put them on I'll expect much better, but not 100% optimal performance. As long as that is true and no safety issues exist, I'll be happy.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:47 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I just mounted Yokohama AVS Sports in 295 on the 18x9.5s as a short term solution. An 18x11 Forgeline is on order.

The tire does fit and is an improvement in ride and grip over the SZ50 runflats that I was running. However, on my C4 I ran 315s on a 9.5 for a short time before 17x11s. Grip improved and response was much improved with wider wheels. I can't wait to have my 18x11s on the C5 :cool:

[Modified by 93Polo, 2:48 PM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 03:06 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (93Polo)

...Grip improved and response was much improved with wider wheels...
"Reality"
Old 05-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Tires On A C5? (Aquaman)

:confused: My acceptable level of performance is nearly 1G on a skidpad, and the ability to run in the top 15 cars in a "base", remember "base" suspension C5 coupe.Maybe on bigger wheels I could have out cornered John Boos 335/30/18 equiped,penske shocked, T1 bar'd car. Damn If only I had known, Or maybe the Diablo with 335/30/18's a 29" ride height and full race suspension car could have been pushed aside.
Question.....do actually read what I post or just type?

I never said you would beat anyone based on the width of your rims. You are comparing apples and tomatoes here. You made a claim that there is no difference running 295 on a wider wheel and that is just not true. Plain and simple. If you take the same tires on the same car and mount them on 9.5 vs 11 rims and there WILL be a difference.
I congratulate you on your running with cars that are more capable. I think that is really cool.
I am not flaming you but there is a point at which the car outperforms the driver. At this point performance improvements are imperceptable.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Tires On A C5?

Old 05-13-2003, 05:04 PM
C5B
Racer

So when I put them on I'll expect much better, but not 100% optimal performance. As long as that is true and no safety issues exist, I'll be happy.
I have heard a lot of good things about Kumhos too. I am not 100% with Aquaman on the performance issue, though. Acceptable rim widths are not the same as optimal rim widths (as has been stated in this thread). Sidewall strength is severely compromised when the angle of the sidewall deviates from straight up and down. Plus, the shape of the contact patch can actually change.... not just the amount, but the shape. And, the amount of weight transfer that the contact patch is putting to the ground is not optimal. A perfectly sized tire/rim combination would have a fairly even amount of weight distributed over the entire area of the contact patch. In an over-sized mis-match, the outside of the contact patch has less weight placed on it because the outside is being pulled up by the resulting angle of the sidewall. This is kind of analagous to, and actually related to, under/over inflation of the tire. An under-inflated tire has more wear on the outside. An over-inflated tire has more wear in the middle. In order to even out the weight distribution (notice - even out, not FIX), you have to lower the tire pressure..... and further reduce the effectiveness of the sidewall strength.

It will work fine (and it will handle great), but don't be surprised when a stock sized Vette (with same suspension), also with Kumhos, comes along and pulls .01g more because the weight distribution on the contact patch is more evenly distributed and the sidewalls are straight up and down.

Why do you think the Vette's rims are sized at the bottom end of the recommendation for the tire size?

If you MUST increase the size, go with 255 on the front and 285 on the back.

BTW, I have Z06 sized/Y2K look rims from Xtreme. I wanted a somewhat stealthy look, but Z06 sized tires. I did go oversized on the front (275 instead of 265) because Yokohama AVS Sports didn't come in 265/40/17 sizes.

- C5B

Old 05-13-2003, 10:59 PM
TyVette99
Instructor

...Grip improved and response was much improved with wider wheels...

"Reality"
:rolleyes: the guy had 315's If you think there would not be a noticable increase in performance with 315's on stock wheels you really are in never never land.

Like the other candy azz said Apples to tomatos = 295's and 315's

Ofcourse it would be different.

If Aquaman says the performance is fine then I believe him he's a serious driver with some hard core skills. Plus I have 295's on my car and have had them for over a year with 12,000 or so trouble free miles.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

[QUOTEQuestion.....do actually read what I post or just type?

I never said you would beat anyone based on the width of your rims. You are comparing apples and tomatoes here. [/QUOTE]

You said the car would perform better..... no?
Meaning my track times would improve.......correct?
Better performance would translate to improved cornering or the ability to put power to the ground....right?

So in actuality I am responding to what you typed. In turn comparing apples to apples.

I don't want to argue with you but I have driven a C5 on Z06 wheels and tires and my car with Z06 sized tires on normal C5 wheels and there was no appreciable diff. other then his car stayed flatter due to his Z51 set up. I have driven the 275's under some real stressfull conditions and same with the 295's. I was faster on the same track with the 295's by a good margin.

I will backpedal a bit and say "maybe" it would do better on bigger wheels but I don't see how. the tire patch is full. There is no more tire to give the ground and .99 or1.0 g's is a feat hard to accomplish so I see it as an unlikely result from wider tires but I wont completely rule it out.

What I'm saying is that the tires will perform well, in fact very very well on the smaller rims. If you don't want to believe me thats your right but don't diminish my needs or the results I achieved from this set up. Could it be better maybe, maybe not but it works well enough by a large margin to not spend the $1000 on new wheels.

And to EHS or what the hell ever his name is, like Ty said BIG BIG BIG diff between 315's on the small wheels and 295's :rolleyes:

That is "reality" :cheers:

Quick Reply: Z06 Tires On A C5?