C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 05:24 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions

Just removed my stock airbox and installed my K&N filter :)

Easy job... took about 45 mins start-to-finish. While the MAF was off, I noticed it wasn't quite lined-up straight with the airbridge (ie. the MAF was rotated about 15 degrees out of line). Tried to re-align the MAF, but gave-up after about 20 minutes of trying to break the 'stiction' between the rubber coupling and the MAF/airbridge junction!

Anyway, back to the filter... first impressions are that I really should cut the radiator shroud cuz the filter is a real tight fit against the shroud (it's bowing the shroud in towards the radiator) and the shroud is blocking nearly 50% of the filter area! This must apply to Blackwing installs too(?)

Expected noticeable induction noise, but sounded completely stock at idle... punching the throttle in park resulted in a brief 'sucking' sound, but that's it.

Performance seems the same as before... it MIGHT be a little more responsive to the throttle, but this might also be the placebo effect coming into play (ie. you WANT it to be quicker, so you convince yourself that it is). Wasn't able to really open her up (ie. punch it in 1st) due to rain showers and wet roads.

What WAS definitely evident, was a little spark knock... audible for an instant when stabbing the throttle in 3rd-gear. I assume it's only audible for an instant due to KR coming into play. Spark knock must be due to A/F ratio being leaner due to greater intake air volume (shows getting rid of the airbox gets more air into the engine). Hoping PCM will update the trim tables to compensate... I'm probably losing performance, if anything at the moment, due to excessive KR.

I drive an 80-mile return journey to work each day, so it shouldn't take long to find-out if this mod has really been worth while. Only cost $55... somewhat cheaper than the alternatives!

I can certainly now see the benefit of installing cold air screens and butchering the radiator shroud.

Watch this space...

[Modified by i_york, 10:25 PM 5/12/2003]

[Modified by i_york, 10:27 PM 5/12/2003]
Old 05-13-2003, 09:59 AM
HurricaneZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (i_york)

Keep us updated, I always wondered why nobody else went this route. What size filter did you use? Do you have a part number?

[Modified by HurricaneZ, 6:59 AM 5/13/2003]
Old 05-14-2003, 04:52 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (HurricaneZ)

Keep us updated, I always wondered why nobody else went this route. What size filter did you use? Do you have a part number?

[Modified by HurricaneZ, 6:59 AM 5/13/2003]
P/No. RC-5040 (Universal oval tapered filter) :cheers:
Old 05-14-2003, 06:08 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Update time...

Well, I've had the K&N on for a few days now and I can say, without a doubt, that it's worth the $55 it cost me!

SOTP improvements are evident in throttle response and car seems to pull a little harder. Engine sounds throatier... nice induction roar that just makes the whole car sound a little meaner.

G-tech testing results:

Peak 2nd-gear G's (from a punch):
Stock = 0.39g
K&N = 0.48g

Best 0-60:
Stock (runcraps) = 5.46s (ave. 5.5 over >3 runs)
Stock (SP9000's): = 5.34s with same launch technique (ave. 5.3 over >3 runs)
K&N = 4.91s (brake-stalled @ 1,300rpm)

As expected, PCM has adapted to the leaner A/F ratio and audible spark-knock has disappeared.

So, there you have it... SOTP impressions backed-up by G-tech testing.
Ok, so my testing wasn't exhaustive and some could argue the accuracy of the G-tech unit, but I averaged all my readings and for a $55 mod, I'm v.happy! :party:

:cheers:

[Modified by i_york, 12:15 AM 5/15/2003]
Old 05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

first impressions are that I really should cut the radiator shroud cuz the filter is a real tight fit against the shroud (it's bowing the shroud in towards the radiator) and the shroud is blocking nearly 50% of the filter area! This must apply to Blackwing installs too(?)
Actually the Blackwing is "V" shaped - wider at the top, so it only contacts the shroud at the molding base. The shroud does not block any of the filter surface.

Thanks for posting the review!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:02 PM
edmaverik
Burning Brakes

Update time...

Well, I've had the K&N on for a few days now and I can say, without a doubt, that it's worth the $55 it cost me!

SOTP improvements are evident in throttle response and car seems to pull a little harder. Engine sounds throatier... nice induction roar that just makes the whole car sound a little meaner.
[Modified by i_york, 12:15 AM 5/15/2003]
:iagree: But now cut the top of stock air lid and it will be sweeter and breathes way nicer!

I have a K&N with modified airbox cover and its staying that way!
Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (edmaverik)

Here's how I did mine on my 2000 coupe (filter was $40). It dyno'ed 320 RWHP, 331 RWTQ through the stock exhaust (MN6). I later added the PRT's and a Vortex Rammer and Dyno'ed 331/331.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:28 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (edmaverik)

:iagree: But now cut the top of stock air lid and it will be sweeter and breathes way nicer!

I have a K&N with modified airbox cover and its staying that way!
The filter I'm using is a universal cone-type filter that bolts directly to the MAF. It replaces the stock airbox :)

Old 05-15-2003, 04:34 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (Z06 Quin)

Here's how I did mine on my 2000 coupe (filter was $40). It dyno'ed 320 RWHP, 331 RWTQ through the stock exhaust (MN6). I later added the PRT's and a Vortex Rammer and Dyno'ed 331/331.

Yours looks like a much smaller round cone... mine is larger (in fact, I believe it is the actual filter used in the 'LS1 Power Pak' package). It's broadly similar to a Blackwing, but smaller (not as wide). I'll try to post a pic of the install later today.

Interesting numbers for your Vortex / PRT's upgrade... what would you attribute the +11RWHP to? The Rammer or the PRT's? I think I'd be inclined to put it down to the PRT's.

Thanks for posting the pic... I may cut my shroud too, but I'm loathed to butcher the factory shroud (esp. as I'm in the UK and wouldn't easily be able to obtain a replacement).
Old 05-15-2003, 04:35 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (Z06 Quin)

Yours looks like a much smaller round cone... mine is larger (in fact, I believe it is the actual filter used in the 'LS1 Power Pak' package). It's broadly similar to a Blackwing, but smaller (not as wide). I'll try to post a pic of the install later today.

Interesting numbers for your Vortex / PRT's upgrade... what would you attribute the +11RWHP to? The Rammer or the PRT's? I think I'd be inclined to put it down to the PRT's.

Thanks for posting the pic... I may cut my shroud too, but I'm loathed to butcher the factory shroud (esp. as I'm in the UK and wouldn't easily be able to obtain a replacement).

Old 05-15-2003, 12:20 PM
HurricaneZ
Burning Brakes

It looks like the filter you got is for the durango FIPK system. I wonder is the RF-1038 filter is available for sale? This is the filter for the corvette FIPK minus the K&n Airbridge.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:35 AM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Default Re: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions (HurricaneZ)

Finally got around to taking a couple of pics of the install...

http://www.picturejudge.com/memberpi...inebay_K&N.jpg
http://www.picturejudge.com/memberpi...images/K&N.jpg

[Modified by i_york, 4:18 PM 5/17/2003]

[Modified by i_york, 4:23 PM 5/17/2003]

[Modified by i_york, 4:23 PM 5/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions

Quick Reply: K&N direct-to-MAF filter... first impressions