C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rage at the guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:51 PM
bozo4onion
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rage at the guage

Took my 2K coupe for a drive yesterday with almost 1/2 tank in the clip. after driving 2mi. the idiot bell went off. HUD said check guages and I was getting a low fuel warning. Fuel guage was on Elvis. Not even the LS1 gets mileage like that. Filled the tank for only $20 @ $1.80/Gal. Hmmmm. Anyway I bet when I get back to 1/2 tank this happens again. And I bet the fuel sending unit is hard to get to/expensive to replace. I just emerged from battery acid hell with help from the forum and now this. Of course my warranty expired 3 weeks ago. :nopity Has anyone experienced this prob. or know of others that have. Thanks

Sorry for the repost. Couldn't find the original.

[Modified by bozo4onion, 5:55 PM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 03:11 PM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rage at the guage (bozo4onion)

This happened to me a couple times and then it went away, so don't get frustrated yet. There's a fuel additive, I think it's called Techron, that some have had luck with. Try that & see if it cures your problem. Also, NEVER top off the tank. It seems that triggers the misreading fuel gauge for some reason.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:35 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search. There must be a hundred posts on this. Everyone has an opnion but most c5's do it no matter what is tried. :rolleyes:
Old 07-14-2003, 03:37 PM
99inDenver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try either the Techron fuel additive as reccomended above, or see if you can get your hands on a bottle of BG 44K fuel additive. Have heard from many that it will help the problem.

I have been using 44K in every car I have ever owned and have yet to have problems with the fuel system (knocks on wood) :smash:

Good Luck
:cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil with about 1/3 tank and drove for 6 miles and it cleared up. Clearly this is a friction issue and the top end lube seems to help the float. PS: I used the oil in my 87 and finally donated it with 198,000 miles and no engine work.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Rage at the guage (Corvette00Car)

Nothing called "Mystery Oil " is going anywhere NEAR my car. :leaving:

Get notified of new replies

To Rage at the guage

Quick Reply: Rage at the guage