C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 to ls6 swap

Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 AM
vetteman21
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ls1 to ls6 swap

I am having to replace my motor and found a rebuilt ls6. it has everything up to the heads and down to the headders. it looks like I would need to buy the ls6 intake manifold for it but my question is what else would I have to buy to do the swap? any sensors? a cpu or just ls1 edit? anything else? Any info would help out greatly.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:00 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: ls1 to ls6 swap (vetteman21)

I would call Gene at Karshop and see if he has a complete motor and sell your current motor as a complete unit also. Even with repairs needed it will have resale value. Not all LS6's are the same. The 2001's had different valves, valve springs, and cam. You could get nickeled and dimed to death with those parts. Gene wont steer you wrong. :crazy:
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 AM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you going to do with your old motor?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:19 AM
vetteman21
Racer

Thank you for the info. :cheers: I have however found a complete motor. It is a 2002. It has everything as I mentioned between the heads to the headders. So it would just be taking the old ls1 motor out and throwing the rebuilt ls6 in. Ill have to buy the intake manifold then from there hook to ls1 throttlebody. I will also put a zo6 clutch in. the ls6 headders will hook up to the c5 exhaust. My question is what will I have to change electricly? will sensors have to be changed out or a reprogramming? my initial thought is reprogramming is not nescissary but it would probably tweak some extra h.p. also to answer the question of what I will do with my current motor I plan to sell it. It has a knock.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Tree
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed that swap into my 2000 ( purchased my LS6 engine from Gene at the Karshop- there cannot be a more helpful and honest guy on the face of the earth). Electrically, you should have no problems. I got a check engine light after the install, and my dealer tells me I'm running rich. I have to get a dyno tune which should set me right. Previous to the swap, I had adjusted computer because I had headers and an LS6 intake mainfold installed on my LS1. Depending on you milage, you should consider a new clutch release bearing/slave cylinder. I have stock LS6 exhaust manifolds (I think they're different) which I'll trade for the stock LS1's so I can have a complete LS1 to sell. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:01 AM
vetteman21
Racer

:smash: Thank you so much! Exactly what I wanted to know/hear! Il'l be purchasing the motor in the morning :smash: I'm already getting excited!!! :D
Old 07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
BluFRC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: ls1 to ls6 swap (Tree)

When going from the 2000 LS1 to the 2002 LS6 did you need a new PCM, or just a flash of the stock Z06 program? Any other gotchas?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: ls1 to ls6 swap (BluFRC)

You do not need a new pcm for the swap but just have to have your old pcm tweaked accordingly with LS1 edit to make the max. amout of performance and to have good roadside manners (idling, etc). I guess you could also just download a stock z06 program as a base and go from there! :cheers:

[Modified by MTI 427 Roadster, 12:17 PM 7/31/2003]
Old 07-31-2003, 02:22 PM
BluFRC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: ls1 to ls6 swap (MTI 427 Roadster)

Is it safe to assume that the exhaust ports are different and I'll need new headers?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Tree
Racer

Default Re: ls1 to ls6 swap (BluFRC)

I don't think header manufacturers differentiate between LS1 and LS6 applications- they sell the same header in both cases. However, the exhaust ports are shaped differently on the engines- the LS1 ports are roundish, while the LS6's are oblong. The stock exhaust manifolds are different, I believe. While I haven't seen LS1's, my LS6's are oblong, matching the shape of the exhaust ports. I was told just to make certain that the exhaust flange of the header didn't cover any part of the port. This would appear to be pretty difficult with the heads in the car. Maybe matching both to the gasket would be one way. I did not bother. By the way, the gaskets are different to accomodate the different shapes.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:33 PM
MagRedSkull
Pro

Andy at A&A Corvette http://www.aandacorvette.com/ did a swap for me. Contact him, he can tell you what it takes. He said it wasn't hard. I did have my existing PCM reprogramed by Johan at Diablosports (James set it up) for LS6 fuel mapping with an A4.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:43 PM
vetteman21
Racer

Went to 21st centry to drop off my car for the swap. The engine was waiting there. Thought Id document for others in the future what will need to be considered when swapping. John and his team was incredibly helpfull and I think they have ironed out the changes that will have to be made or pieces added

1. ls6 intake manifold and manifold plumbing. bought one used from 21st. my motor did not come with it

2. headers. Aparrently the ls6 are a bit different and dont exactly match up to my c5 but I already had aftermarket ones I wanted put in that looks like they will work.

3.coil packs to bracket. apparently a bit different but John said hed take care of it. my motor did not come with paks but did have the brackets

4.fuel lines going to fuel rail. there are two on the ls1. on the ls6 theres 1. takin care of as well.

5. tuning. of course!

thats it hopefully!

That entire crew is one class act!! I'm looking forward to the results :thumbs:

[Modified by vetteman21, 5:54 PM 8/12/2003]
Old 08-12-2003, 07:05 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

The changes you noted are not necessarily differences between the LS1 and the LS6. Instead they are differences between model years.

All LS1's from 2001 have the LS6 intake manifold/plumbing.

The AIR connections on the headers differ between '97-99, 2000, 2001-up.

The mounting of the coil packs as well as the valve covers are different in the '97-'98 than from '99-up.

'97-99 have 2 fuel lines and '99-up have one.

Enjoy your new found power :cheers;

Went to 21st centry to drop off my car for the swap. The engine was waiting there. Thought Id document for others in the future what will need to be considered when swapping. John and his team was incredibly helpfull and I think they have ironed out the changes that will have to be made or pieces added

1. ls6 intake manifold and manifold plumbing. bought one used from 21st. my motor did not come with it

2. headers. Aparrently the ls6 are a bit different and dont exactly match up to my c5 but I already had aftermarket ones I wanted put in that looks like they will work.

3.coil packs to bracket. apparently a bit different but John said hed take care of it. my motor did not come with paks but did have the brackets

4.fuel lines going to fuel rail. there are two on the ls1. on the ls6 theres 1. takin care of as well.

5. tuning. of course!

thats it hopefully!

That entire crew is one class act!! I'm looking forward to the results :thumbs:

[Modified by vetteman21, 5:44 PM 8/12/2003]
Old 12-23-2019, 11:45 AM
dgoff
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I’m doing this same thing without a shop. ‘99 FRC LS1 switching to a ‘02 LS6. Not finding much help on the forum. I tried to look up Gene at The Karshop without success. Any information you may remember from 2003 when you did yours?
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To ls1 to ls6 swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1 to ls6 swap