C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Silver99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in first gear

Just bought a Silver 99 Coupe and I am very happy with it so far. Just have one concern about a noise I am hearing. As soon as I let out on the clutch in first gear from a stop I hear a noise that I can only describe as a gear whine. It's not loud and I only hear it in first, not any other gear. I thought I read somewhere that this is normal for the C5. I would appreciate any info others might have on this.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 PM
lowdowndirty
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Noise in first gear (Silver99)

I know I'm not much help, but I can say I've never heard the noise you're describing. (99 M6 hardtop.)
Old 08-08-2003, 04:24 PM
adame780
Instructor

what sorta pitch does the sound have?

high whining?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Silver99
Intermediate

Default Re: Noise in first gear (adame780)

It's not really a whine, more like just gears meshing, but it's louder then you would think is normal.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:00 PM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

If it sounds like marbles in a can, it's normal...created by the torque tube arrangement.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:01 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Noise in first gear (C5Cemo)

:iagree:

Normal to the point they discuss it in the owners video.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Silver99
Intermediate

Default Re: Noise in first gear (gonbad)

Didn't get a video with the car since I bought it used. Do they actually have a sample of what it sounds like on the video?
Old 08-09-2003, 05:47 PM
fmYellowWRX
Intermediate

Default Am I Paranoid? I've got a noise also - AE 03 MN6

I have a 03 AE with 236 miles. I was asking the same question a while ago and didn't get many answers. Here's what mine does:

When I release the clutch from a stop, there is a lower frequency noise that does sound like marbles in a can. It lasts a half a second. This noise is on the owner video and doesn't worry me at all.

The other noise I'm trying to get some feedback on is a higher pitch course whine that I hear mainly in the first three gears. The pitch increases across a fairly narrow range as the RPM of the motor rises. I can hear it best with the AC off, radio off and the passenger window cracked or fully open. The noise seems to come from underneath the car near the center. At light or part throttle it is most noticeable as the motor sound drowns it out under moderate or more throttle. The noise continues as long as the car is moving more than 5-10 mph, even with the clutch pedal depressed but does stop when I put the car in neutral with the car moving. The noise is not a turbine smooth whine (like straight cut gears) as there is some courseness but I would not describe it as grind. The pitch is higher than the noise I hear when I release the clutch from a stop. The volume level is such that any noise in the cabin from the AC, stereo or wind noise from the top being off drowns it out.

Anyone else have the same thing? Am I being a paranoid new Vette owner?

I appreciate any input anyone has!

:confused:
Old 08-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Silver99
Intermediate

Listened to the sound again today and a I believe it is the "marbles in a can" sound described by others. Thanks to everyone who responded for the info.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

FmYellowWRX...maybe one of the techs on the Forum will be able to help more but I'm wondering if it might be the synchros. I'm not a mechanic but it seems that if it's not too loud, and is there except when in neutral, maybe that's what it is.

As far as the sound in first just starting out, I have the same thing. It's nothing to worry about. Sometimes mine is louder than at other times, but I've heard and read enough about it to understand that it's normal in the C5 transmission. It only happens in 1st, and even then just when you're taking off, right? Mine's been doing it for a long time and no problems.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:56 AM
fmYellowWRX
Intermediate

Default Re: Noise in first gear (FunDriver)

Thanks for the input!

The marbles in the can thing is not bothering me. It appears to be the same on all MN6's.

I was thinking the whine was either the syncros or a bearing on the input shaft of the transmission. I'm going to have it checked out.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:09 AM
TXNC5
Racer

Took mine back to the dealer twice before somebody convinced me it was normal. 1st is the only gear I ever heard it as well. The best way to overcome that noise is to modify it until you can't hear it anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise in first gear

Quick Reply: Noise in first gear