C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Sweet98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout?

The Mcord is priced much better, but which is a better cutout system?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Sweet98
Instructor

Default Re: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout? (Sweet98)

Anyone, Anyone ...
Old 08-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

Wish I could tell you how mine work but I haven't had a chance to mount them yet. I swapped in some Stingers this weekend and that quelled my hankerin' for a snarly exhaust for now. My McCords appear to be rugged. The specs for the two types appear quite similar although the QTP's look to have a nicer finish to them. Being under the car in the exhaust stream, that didn't concern me much.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:53 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout? (Patches)

Wish I could tell you how mine work but I haven't had a chance to mount them yet. I swapped in some Stingers this weekend and that quelled my hankerin' for a snarly exhaust for now. My McCords appear to be rugged. The specs for the two types appear quite similar although the QTP's look to have a nicer finish to them. Being under the car in the exhaust stream, that didn't concern me much.
Patches-
I've never seen a pic of these installed. Obviously, they should go before the cats but they don't seem to replace anything directly....how do you mount these? And where do you get the power for the switch? Everytime I see your pic, I get more and more intrigued.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout? (bandit_99)

Patches-
I've never seen a pic of these installed. Obviously, they should go before the cats but they don't seem to replace anything directly....how do you mount these? And where do you get the power for the switch? Everytime I see your pic, I get more and more intrigued.
bandit,

They actually go in place of the cats. If you look at the pics below, you'll see they replace the cats in the upper pic or the ORP's on the left, just behind the collectors in the lower pic. You have to run catless with these on the FLP system.

As far as the power, the electric cutouts come with cabling and a switch that get run and mounted inside the cabin to any location the owner chooses. The cutout doors can be opened to any partial or full open position via the switch.

[Modified by Patches, 6:15 PM 8/12/2003]
Old 08-12-2003, 06:43 PM
alexWS6
Drifting

I like my QTP qtec but the motor has failed on me once, FWIW.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM
bandit_99
Burning Brakes

bandit,

They actually go in place of the cats. If you look at the pics below, you'll see they replace the cats in the upper pic or the ORP's on the left, just behind the collectors in the lower pic. You have to run catless with these on the FLP system.

As far as the power, the electric cutouts come with cabling and a switch that get run and mounted inside the cabin to any location the owner chooses. The cutout doors can be opened to any partial or full open position via the switch.
:crazy: Hello- Eye m dum. I never put 2 and 2 together to think they replace the ORPs/Cats. I thought you left them in before the cats. Thanks for the info Patches. :flag
Old 08-12-2003, 08:43 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout? (bandit_99)

bandit,

:crazy: Hello- Eye m dum. I never put 2 and 2 together to think they replace the ORPs/Cats. I thought you left them in before the cats. Thanks for the info Patches. :flag
If you have the money they can be installed any way you want. I run catless and mine are right before the over-axle pipes.

No major problems with my McCords, but I think they could have been built better. They are one of my favorite mods :chevy
Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 PM
TXNC5
Racer

I have the QTP cutouts. I am going to purchase the motors and give them a try for a while. I currently have mine mounted just in front of the rear cross member. The sound is incredible.

Anyone have any problems with them not shutting completely?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had 2 MPP2s on 2 cars, one of which was for over 2 years, and still works fine. They are excellent. The QTPs came out after and are basically a ripoff of the MPP2, but for more money. This is likely because QTP is a big company and McCord is basically doing it out of his house.

SUPER customer service, I had to send one of mine back for repairs due to breaking it out of stupidity and Keith fixed it and sent it back FOR FREE. How is that for service? Not to mention ,he even gave me a discount on the 2nd one I bought for being a repeat customer! Hello, class act!

Not to mention, very quick on the shipping. Had mine in like 3 days after I ordered it.

Dope
Old 08-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Sweet98
Instructor

Sounds like i am going to go with the Mcord... but i dont want to remove the cats.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

You can mount them in the x-pipe as shown below and leave your cats intact.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:43 PM
Red-N-Ready
Instructor

How can I get info on these units?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout? (Red-N-Ready)

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout?

Quick Reply: QTP or Mcord Power Plate2 electric cutout?