C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Old Rotor Head)

Hmmm, I just bought an 01 a few weeks ago. Guess I should address this ASAP since this could be quite hazardous to my health. Question, does the recall cover the 01's ? What does the kit that JMX sells consist of exactly?
Thanks for your time. :chevy
Old 08-26-2003, 04:59 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Tsab)

Hmmm, I just bought an 01 a few weeks ago. Guess I should address this ASAP since this could be quite hazardous to my health. Question, does the recall cover the 01's ? What does the kit that JMX sells consist of exactly?
Thanks for your time. :chevy
The recall doesn't cover 2001's, but it doesn't matter any more since it expired back in July even for the years that were covered.

jmX will send you an adaptor to temporarily plug in between the column lock and your cigarette lighter socket to completely unlock the steering wheel, and a gizmo to connect to the computer side of the column lock actuator plug that fools the computer into thinking that your wheel has been locked properly. I installed his kit in my '01 and didn't get a single code on the DIC.

:cheers:
Old 08-27-2003, 10:51 AM
0to60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Column Lock?? (markcz)

jmX will send you an adaptor to temporarily plug in between the column lock and your cigarette lighter socket to completely unlock the steering wheel, and a gizmo to connect to the computer side of the column lock actuator plug that fools the computer into thinking that your wheel has been locked properly. I installed his kit in my '01 and didn't get a single code on the DIC.
Does this kit still work if you've had GM's "fix" done? I got column locked, had the car towed to the dealer, they did their little fix, and then it column locked AGAIN on me. I've had them look at it again, but all they do is scratch their heads.

Will this kit help me?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM
DocSandy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Column Lock?? (DLSCWBYVT)

Thank You, JohnnyNarcosis.

Just cross-posting, I'll be out of your way in a moment.

In the event that the dealer fix does not and you find yourself steering column locked, I learned a system trick that will save you ( apologies if you already know this one)...but when the steering column lock goes into fail mode it can be reset on the spot allowing the car to be driven to the dealer, or home as in my case where I replaced the module itself.

Once the lock has set and with the engine running in PARK or NEUTRAL pull fuse #25 from the BCM power box for 15+ seconds. Viola! The lock opens and stays open as long as the Vette remains running. Replace fuse #25 ( a diagram on the inside of the power box lid details which fuse is which) and off you go.

The BCM power box is located under the passenger side floor plate...just lift the mat, pop the two clips, the power box is the black one.

There is a white fuse puller in the under hood power box that will come in handy if you don't have a Leatherman or needle nose handy. It is definitely nice not to be stuck.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
1964VETTE
Intermediate

Default Re: Column Lock?? (DLSCWBYVT)

For those of you who are new to the column lock problem this may help.

1. If your C5 has an automatic transmission and it's a 2001 or later you DON'T have a column lock.

2. If your C5 has an automatic transmission, 1997-2000, you have several choices.

1997-2000 automatics and you have experienced NO problems. (A) Do nothing. You are in the majority by the way, 80% have not had any problems, but a failure can leave you stranded big time. A 20% failure rate does makes me nervous . (B) Purchase an aftermarket CLB (Column Lock Bypass) and have it available. Some of my friends just don't want to do anything and I recommend that they at least purchase the CLB. Thirty five dollars is not a big outlay and it would get them going again very quickly. (C)Have an aftermarket CLB installed. I have some mixed feelings here, but this certainly would be the safest approach.

1997-2000 automatics and you are CURRENTLY experiencing problems. (A)Have GM "fix" the problem using the guidelines outlined in their Technical Service Bulletin, TSB 01-2-35-008. You would now have a BYPASS and the column lock problem cannot reoccur. It requires the installation p/n 88952427 harness kit (steering wheel theft deterrent lock shorting), 26056108 nut, and a new steering wheel cam orientation plate. The plate permanently defeats the mechanical lock. If your warranty is current or you're included in the "recall" this would be a good economic choice. (B) On the other hand, if GM does a "repair" there is a possibility the failure could reoccur. (C)Install an aftermarket CLB. If your warranty has expired or your not included in the "recall" this would be the safest and most economic choice.

(3)If your C5 has a manual transmission regardless of the year.

Manual transmission and you have NOT experienced any problems your choices are the same as the 1997-2000 automatic C5's.

Manual transmission and you are CURRENTLY experiencing problems your choices are the same as 1997-2000 automatic C5's with the exception that GM (dealers) will probably not install their BYPASS regardless of whether your warranty is in effect or not. GM is only doing a repair on manual transmission C5's and failures have occured again.

LEC
Old 08-27-2003, 08:22 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Column Lock?? (1964VETTE)

"B) Purchase an aftermarket CLB (Column Lock Bypass) and have it available. Some of my friends just don't want to do anything and I recommend that they at least purchase the CLB. Thirty five dollars is not a big outlay and it would get them going again very quickly."

Just to clarify...your column lock has to be in working order for the CLB to be installed. Your statement above is very misleading. You will have to free your steering wheel by some of the previuously mentioned methods (shaking the wheel while turning the key off and on, or pulling fuses) before you install the CLB. Just having it with you "just in case" wont get you going...

Quick Reply: Column Lock??