C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed?

Old 08-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed? (Buckmaster)

I don't know what's different. I sent a copy of your posting to my tuner and I'll post his reply. Makes no sense to me that they would be different. We'll see what he says. I had no problems with my install. I just had to tell him the gear ratio, tire size and year of the car. It runs great.

Bob
:flag
Old 08-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Flintstone
Drifting

If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again.
This says it all. If you receive a new PCM that has never been matched to a chassis, there is no VATS relearn. If the PCM comes out of a wreck, or a stolen vehicle, you have to do a VATS relearn. If the tuner got a new PCM, this explains both sides of the discussion.

F
Old 08-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Default Re: If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed? (Flintstone)

So you're saying Buckmaster didn't get the new PCM he thought he did? I'm still waiting for my tuner to get back with me. It may be tomorrow. What you're saying about the new versus one that had been installed would explain the differences.

Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Default Re: If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed? (Korreck)

No what he is saying is that tuners like Ed Wright takes the PCM's in as a core. As a result...a VATS relearn needs to be done....hence Ed Wright stating a VATS relearn is needed! I guess I may have a misspoke when I said I received a "new" PCM from Ed Wright.....it was "new" for my car although it was an "old"/"core" PCM...hence the relearn. :)
So you're saying Buckmaster didn't get the new PCM he thought he did? I'm still waiting for my tuner to get back with me. It may be tomorrow. What you're saying about the new versus one that had been installed would explain the differences.

Bob

[Modified by Buckmaster, 9:45 PM 8/19/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Special K
Safety Car

No what he is saying is that tuners like Ed Wright takes the PCM's in as a core. As a result...a VATS relearn needs to be done....hence Ed Wright stating a VATS relearn is needed! I guess I may have a misspoke when I said I received a "new" PCM from Ed Wright.....it was "new" for my car although it was an "old"/"core" PCM...hence the relearn. :)

[Modified by Buckmaster, 9:45 PM 8/19/2003]
I got ya. I'm still waiting to hear from my tuner. This was a good post.

Bob
Old 08-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Special K
Safety Car

This is part of the email from my tuner:

"We know how to program a PCM so that the new PCM will not interfere with
the anti-theft system. Just because a guy is an 'expert' doesn't mean he
knows everything about programming a computer for a vehicle. The computer uses the VIN number and another tag in the PCM memory for
antitheft detection."

As I stated earlier, I didn't require a VATS relearn and he (my programmer)states the programmer can handle it at his end. If you install a properly programmed PCM you won't have any problems. Just install and drive.

Bob

[Modified by Korreck, 8:27 AM 8/26/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 09:25 AM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Who is the guy you use and what is his contact info? Do you know what he would charge to program a new PCM?

Thanks

This is part of the email from my tuner:

"We know how to program a PCM so that the new PCM will not interfere with
the anti-theft system. Just because a guy is an 'expert' doesn't mean he
knows everything about programming a computer for a vehicle. The computer uses the VIN number and another tag in the PCM memory for
antitheft detection."
Old 08-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Default Re: If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed? (SLICKMAN)

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

Give him a call. It's toll free. I don't know what he charges because I bought a complete PCM and he programmed it. I'm very happy with him and he continues to answer all my dumb questions. And I should add once you pay the tuning fee that's for life (YOURS).

Bob
Old 08-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Flintstone
Drifting

I don't disagree that this was a good thread. However, what we provided was more or less the GM Tech manual explanation on why some PCMs need reprogramming and others don't.

Your tuner sounds like he has a real burr up his butt. Sorry. I think I will stick with mine...

F

:steering: :cheers:
Old 08-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Special K
Safety Car

I don't disagree that this was a good thread. However, what we provided was more or less the GM Tech manual explanation on why some PCMs need reprogramming and others don't.

Your tuner sounds like he has a real burr up his butt. Sorry. I think I will stick with mine...

F

I don't know why you would make that statement. Seems to me he knows a little more than some of the tuners (my experience). I didn't have to do anything but install and start driving. And he's tired of people that don't know what they're doing making dumb statements. Why does that make him a bad guy or a guy with a burr up his butt?

Bob
Old 08-27-2003, 05:00 PM
add
Racer

F

I don't know why you would make that statement. Seems to me he knows a little more than some of the tuners (my experience). I didn't have to do anything but install and start driving. And he's tired of people that don't know what they're doing making dumb statements. Why does that make him a bad guy or a guy with a burr up his butt?

Bob

:iagree:
Old 08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Flintstone
Drifting

And he's tired of people that don't know what they're doing making dumb statements. Why does that make him a bad guy or a guy with a burr up his butt?

Bob
Maybe because of that? I agreed with a quote from the service manual, as well as a fellow, well respected, forum member? I have been thru a number of PCMs and a significant amount of tuning over the last four years.

I am far from not knowing what I am doing, and far from making dumb statements. As far as I can tell, there is only one person here making dumb statements.

F
Old 08-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Special K
Safety Car

And he's tired of people that don't know what they're doing making dumb statements. Why does that make him a bad guy or a guy with a burr up his butt?

Bob

Maybe because of that? I agreed with a quote from the service manual, as well as a fellow, well respected, forum member? I have been thru a number of PCMs and a significant amount of tuning over the last four years.

I am far from not knowing what I am doing, and far from making dumb statements. As far as I can tell, there is only one person here making dumb statements.

F
Mr. Flintstone,

I didn't direct any comments at you. My tuner didn't direct any comments at you. I was simply trying to find out what these claims were all about stating you have to do a VATS relearn. I found out it wasn't required if the tuner took care of it on his end. Now if you have a problem feel free to email me and I'll be more than happy to discuss YOUR problem. I think the rest of us learned something.

Bob
Old 08-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Flintstone
Drifting

Big kisses Bob

:cheers:
Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Back to ya Ted. :D I do apologize if I offended you or anyone else. That was not my intention and looking back I see I should have edited some of Lyndons (the tuner) remarks. I'm not the brightest bulb on the planet. Have a good day. :seeya

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If I replace my PCM, does it have to be programmed?