C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found

Old 08-26-2003, 01:03 AM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
Default No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found

Posted this a few weeks ago -

Before I spend hours trying to chase this down I figured I see if anyone has come across this problem. A few nights ago I pulled into a parking garage and noticed that everytime I stepped on the brake the driving lights would come on. Thought that was strange. Later on I was told that I didn't have any taillights and then found that the stop and backup lights are also out. I checked all of the fuses and relays but there all good.
Anyone have any suggestions?
>>

"gonbad" and "John's vette" both mentioned that it might be the harness for the Euro taillights. That ended up being the cause of this problem. Thanks to you guys for the idea and also to L.A.P.D. for quickly getting a replacement out :cheers:
Old 08-26-2003, 01:57 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found (tbyrne)

Just curious how much the replacement harness was. I intermittently have the same problem.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 07:30 AM
John's vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found (tbyrne)

I am glad it worked out for you. The forum vendor I purchased the light kit from would not replace my harness so I had to order another one. Like $85 dollars. :( I decided to take my business else were and ordered a new one from LAPD. Can you believe the new one I got, one of the lens does not have power. Shawn offered to replace, but I have been so busy I have not sent it back yet.

At the moment, I just rewired it back stock. Seems the quality control on these harnesses are poor.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:02 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found (John's vette)

Glad you found your problem. Just FYI I had an interesting light problem years ago when I worked as a mechanic. The car came in with the owner complaining that his lights were acting "funny". When the brake was applied the brake, parking and dash lights all came on. I t was an easy diagnosis when i noticed that one of the brake lights didn't work. The brakes/parking lights used 1157 (double element) bulbs. The top element(brake) broke and hung down making contact with the bottom element(parking) thereby powering the whole system. :lol:
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found (aaaa)

:crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No taillights, stoplights and backup lights - problem found