C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 08:19 PM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!!

I'm thinking (just thinking) about the possiblity of going after some serious gains and my 2 choices are heads/cam (mild) or supercharger. Staying emisson legal is a must!! I need opinions of which one would hold up better over a long period of time should my Vette ever become my daily driver. On average I put about 30+k miles a yr on a car. At present I'm lucky enough to still have my daily driver but she already has over 127k on it. If I'm lucky and still have it in another 3yrs, she will have over 200k miles on it. Bottom line here, of the 2 which would be least likely to fail over time and can handle high mileage? I know the charger would give more gain (& torque) but I have to remain focus that at any time my Vette can become my daily driver. Gas mileage advantage I guess would go to the charger. $ head/cam could be done within a yr (God willing!!), charger I could not see happening before 2yrs :sad: My present performance mods are Blackwing, TPIS headers/Random Tech complete mid- section, Corsa Touring, LS1edit/dyno tune and possiliby gears are next. My uneducated opinon would say it's safer to stay wih all motor, less chance of internal parts failing. Of couse which way I go will determine what gears I end up doing. So far I'm heavily leaning towards 3.90's. Just thinking out loud here everyone, I still have to take into consideration of voiding my ext warranty. Thanks in advance! Barry

[Modified by BT-01-vette, 8:20 PM 9/15/2003]
Old 09-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!! (BT-01-vette)

The problem with asking a longevity problem with these cars is that no one drives them enough! I know many of us have them as daily drivers (me included), but very few of us have over 60k on the cars. Thus, the answers to your question will be mostly hypothetical. Anyone out there with H/C or a blower and lots of miles?

Now for some speculation... I think H/C would be "better" becuase the only thing you'll wear out faster is the springs (I'm guessing, feel free to correct). Now if you go with the blower you'll be putting lots of stress on the whole engine (the stock bottom end isn't forged) I figure that the blower would cause more expensive wear over time. :cheers:
Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM
0Fasterproms
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!! (Cobra4B)

If it were me I would go with the H&C route. A strong head with 11.5:1 and a 216/220 cam if you want to still retain the sweet idle, lower emissions and gas mileage or bigger if you want it a bit more radical. You will make great power and more importantly TORQUE, the engine will live LONG. SC I do not see living that long.

Jeremy Formato
Old 09-16-2003, 01:30 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!! (JJFormato)

H/C.

Mark
Old 09-16-2003, 12:48 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!! (JJFormato)

If it were me I would go with the H&C route. A strong head with 11.5:1 and a 216/220 cam if you want to still retain the sweet idle, lower emissions and gas mileage or bigger if you want it a bit more radical. You will make great power and more importantly TORQUE, the engine will live LONG. SC I do not see living that long.

Jeremy Formato
:iagree:
That's the way I went. Higher compression, mild cam gives good power, smooth idle, passes smog with ease. With the stock gears I got 34 mpg on the highway and 22 city! But you should replace the valve springs more often than stock.

[Modified by 6Speeder, 10:50 AM 9/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!!

Quick Reply: Long Term Effects? Opinions needed!!