C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers?

I was just about set in buying a set of Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks to go along with the sway bar upgrade I plan to do until I came across "Coilovers". They seem to be the best option out there... I wanted some opinions on doing one vs. the other. Pluses and minuses... The main difference I've been told about is that the coilovers allow for each tire to be more independant as opposed to the leaf springs. Coilovers do seem to be more expensive though.

So question #1: What setup is better, coilovers or the Z06 springs/shocks?

Question #2: I just purchased a set of '04 Z06 shocks. Can those be used as part of the coilovers?

And thanks for all the responses on my recent question on sway bars! :cheers: I went to an event hosted by GM at the Pomona Fairplex (CA) and drove a Z06 around a small course... wow... much more stable than my stock Coupe...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Paras
Drifting

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (Paras)

ttt (what does "ttt" mean anyways?)
Old 02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
mfrnka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (Paras)

to the top...
Old 02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you do a lot of road racing or autocrossing type stuff, I dont see the need to spend the money on coilovers.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Paras
Drifting

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers?

The Z06 shocks and springs will run about $1,050. Coilovers--about $2,000. I wanted to do the job right the first time. If coilovers are that much better, I'd like to do the job right. I don't know if I really will do any racing. I just like feeling very secure on the road. Anyone know of any problems with the coilovers? A vendor said that they require a lot of work to adjust.

--Paras
Old 02-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

In the SCCA T-1 class the vettes are scaldingly fast using the T-1 leaf springs, shocks, and swaybars. Coil overs are easier to adjust in that you can change the ride height, spring rates, shocks, and corner weights much easier.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (Cobra4B)

I just put the '04 springs and shocks on and think they're great along with my T1 bars. They are firmer than the Z51 set-up that I had but took away some of the harshness of the Z51 with T1's.
As for coilovers, a few friends run them and unless you're on the track regulary I doubt that you'll realize the difference if there is any (I haven't tried them but those friends are behind me during runs even before I had the '04 set-up :D ).
Old 02-02-2004, 10:23 PM
INSOMNIAC
Pro

[QUOTE]

So question #1: What setup is better, coilovers or the Z06 springs/shocks?

[QUOTE]

There is no "better" after a certain point. It is just a choice. I have the 2004 Z06 shocks, springs and T1 Sway bars and works perfect for me.
Now, depending on what you want to do there are many alternatives.

*If you want to drag race, there are drag race specific suspension setups out there. They will greatly help your launch and ET. If you want to go more extreme, you can even convert the rear end to a solid axle for better strip performance.
*If you want to roadrace, you can go with the T1 Level1 or Level2 suspension package. They will greatly increase your handling at the track but it would be really uncomfortable to drive on the street with all your bones shaking.

If you want to go extreme in one aspect, then you have to sacrifice in another. I think the 2004 GM/Sachs developed Z06 Suspension, Z06 Springs and T1 Sway Bars is a pretty balanced setup for both track and road.

As for the coil overs, with a really well adjusted (spring rates, ride height, chamber, etc) and aligned coil over set I doubt you will feel any difference with the street tires you are using. However, if the coil overs are not well adjusted, then you start going through problems.

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Paras
Drifting

I want my car to handle best on the street first--deal with bumps, cracks and dips and still nail corners. Also, I want it to take long sweeping offramps with authority--not feel floaty... Track is an "maybe" right now and so its secondary...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coilovers have there own shock. What do you have now in the car? There is no real down side to the coilovers except cost. LGM has a nice set. You can probably improve your handling for less. How important is ride? Everything is a trade off. You can't have the best handling car and still ride like a Caddy.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Paras
Drifting

I have an '01 Coupe that has the stock shocks that go with the F45 suspension. I could work with a considerably stiffer ride. I saw LGM's coilovers and there's a few other brands on the market.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:57 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Unlike other coil over shock packages, ours have spherical bearings rather than poly bushings. The poly bushings pound out and have to be changed on a regular basis.

We use an all aluminum Bilstein shock and Hypercoil springs. They are a full bolt in package with no modifications required.

We have tested these on the race track and have custom valving that is matched to the car and springs. They are about 10% stronger than a Z06 spring rate.

We will have these on our World Challenge race car this season.

Let us know if we can help you out.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti LGM

Old 02-04-2004, 02:20 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

I want my car to handle best on the street first--deal with bumps, cracks and dips and still nail corners. Also, I want it to take long sweeping offramps with authority--not feel floaty... Track is an "maybe" right now and so its secondary...
In that case, go with the Z06 setup. For that matter, you could do it in steps: first, change the shocks, then the sway bars, then the springs. That way you could stop once you're satisified with your ride. IMO, I'd go with the stock spring and upgrade the shocks and swaybars.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-04-2004, 08:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get it over and just GO coilover :D
Old 02-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Blorton
Pro

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (John Shiels)

I had the pleasure of a short ride in a coilover-equipped Z06 last weekend and have this to report:

Ride comfort is better than stock, imppo. Isolating bumps at each corner does amazing things for comfort as well as road-holding. I'm absolutely getting a set as soon as the cc gets paid down from the Kooks purchase. :thumbs:

No offense intended, but people that say coilovers are overkill for the non-racer are missing the point. To draw a comparison, I'd say that's like saying shorty headers are good enough for anybody but open road racers. We all know that's just flat wrong. :D

It's interesting how most folks here go six ways to sunday in order to get good power gains out of the engine, yet leave an arguably compromised suspension design intact. (That comment ought to get me stoned.) :blueangel:

Don't get me wrong, I think the stock setup on these cars is respectable and enjoy the Z51 configuration in my FRC. However, the coilover option is a *big* upgrade and shouldn't be discounted out of hand simply because it's overkill on other vehicles.

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Dan - came this -><- close today to buying the LGM coilovers instead of the Kooks headers.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (John Shiels)

Coilovers have there own shock. What do you have now in the car? There is no real down side to the coilovers except cost. LGM has a nice set. You can probably improve your handling for less. How important is ride? Everything is a trade off. You can't have the best handling car and still ride like a Caddy.
:iagree:

LGM Coil overs and a T1 setup is the best way to go IMO. As soon as spring rolls around I know that I will be re-ordering a set from them.

:thumbs:
Old 02-04-2004, 10:22 PM
INSOMNIAC
Pro

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (Lashtal)

LGM Coil overs and a T1 setup is the best way to go IMO. As soon as spring rolls around I know that I will be re-ordering a set from them.

:thumbs:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
The T1 Suspension package uses leaf springs just like a Z06 or a C5. T1 is not a coil over suspension package as far as I know.

I think a setup with T1 shocks, T1 springs and T1 sway bars would handle way better than the coil-over systems out there. Correct me if I am wrong.

Or maybe you can use the LGM Coilover package with T1 Shocks instead of Bilsteins, put on really stiff springs and T1 sway bars. That would be an interesting setup too.

:cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers?

Old 02-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Paras
Drifting

Default Re: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers? (INSOMNIAC)

Two comments I collected from reading old posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Coil Overs on a C5 are awesome.. if your at a track. The Coil overs react to quickly for the street and thus it will start to bounce off of bumps instead of taking them in stride.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I can say is that I had the coil overs and loved them. I do not autox or road race, but hooking up and just plain driving around, the car felt tighter. I would do the coil overs again. When I hit bumps on one side of the car, the whole car would not jump as it did before. It just plain felt better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Paras
Drifting

One more comments from an old post:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I too fear the problems that may occur from using the stock shock mounts to support the whole weight of teh car with the coilovers and the elimination of the leaf springs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Most of the world challenge cars use the stock mounts for the coil overs. The old C4 Vettes did have weaker shock points, but that is NOT the case with the C5. I have had my coil over shocks on my street car for 2 years now, including many track days, and pot holes, with NO side effects.

There is no way there is a problem with the C5 shock mounts.

On the internet, if someone says "Blue is really Black" then at least 25% of the readers will repeat that statement as if it is true, and Blue is really black.

Thanks,

Lou G

PS, Blue is really Blue :)

Quick Reply: Springs and shocks: Z06 springs and '04 Z06 shocks or Coilovers?