C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building motor - what parts to start with (not in a hurry) -

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?-

Is there a difference between the LS6 2001 & 2002 blocks?

What makes a C5R so much (expensive) & better than LS6 block?
What is the base displacement of a C5R - and what do most people run these at? Does it have steel inserts/sleeves?

The motor will be N/A initially (but I do like the Mag S/C or TT later). Do I need to go with low comression (8.5 or so) for S/C or TT later - or can I go with 10.5 or so - and still add S/C or TT later?

I have a line on some 2002 LS6 heads - fresh vavle job - ready to bolt on.

What are the best internals - forged - or are they all pretty good - ?

Thanks for your suggestions!

:hat :steering:

[Modified by 1stGlance, 3:02 PM 2/5/2004]

[Modified by 1stGlance, 3:06 PM 2/5/2004]
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Building motor - what parts to start with (not in a hurry) - (1stGlance)

I had an 03 LS6 block installed in my car and the engine builder said that the new blocks were just a bit heavier. SO that means that they beefed them up somewhere.. although we dont know where at this point.

VR :cheers:
Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 AM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?- (1stGlance)

ttt
Old 02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?- (1stGlance)

Well first you have to decide what you want to do and how much you want to spend. turbo or NA?

Give us more specific guidelines and we can help.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
speedjohnson
Pro

Default Re: Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?- (kumar75150)

First off, call up Gene at Karshop and buy a block from him. He's got a bunch of NEW LS6 blocks that he bought from GM as overstock. They come nicely finished. They have main caps/bolts and cam bearings. All for less than you could get a regular block re-machined for...I think $725.

Mine is still sitting in the waiting room of my office where Fed Express left it last week. My patient's think it's some piece of medical equipment. I can't wait to get started on another project!

Really, you should consider buying NEW Ls6 heads from GM direct for something like $700 ea. These are so cheap, are fully assembled and are not worn out like some of the used heads in the "for sale" section. It's the guides that you should worry about when buying used. These are expensive to replace and are usually torn up by high spring pressures used on performance cam applications. Also, the valve gets shrouded as you sink it into the head doing repeated valve jobs. If you want a performance head, then you can't go too far wrong with stock LS6 heads. If you want more than stock, then you can always dissassemble the head and have some pocket porting performed and blend into a larger 2.02 intake valve. You're probebly going to have to dissassemble them to put higher tension springs on them anyway. Always use the best quality NEW valve springs offered consistent with your cam.

Use the Lunati stroker kit (3K). It's good American steel and has a good thickness of nitriting and the crank has a good amount of machining. The rods are reasonably strong I beams. They are light and are stroker clearanced.

When you look at the "bang for the buck", I just don't think that the gains are justified for the C5R block @ 6.5K. Or, even the 3K investment on re-sleeving. Not alot of extra cubes for the dollar. I also don't feel that the gains are justified for the 3K worth of hand porting in the heads. Sure, both of these will give you the maximum potential for your LS block, but one has to also consider that the stock heads, a good cam + stroker kit will give you power that's not that far off the maximum potential, for half the price.

Just my opinions on "bang for your buck". No insults intended. sj
Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Iboomalot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?- (speedjohnson)

When you look at the "bang for the buck", I just don't think that the gains are justified for the C5R block @ 6.5K. Or, even the 3K investment on re-sleeving. Not alot of extra cubes for the dollar. I also don't feel that the gains are justified for the 3K worth of hand porting in the heads. Sure, both of these will give you the maximum potential for your LS block, but one has to also consider that the stock heads, a good cam + stroker kit will give you power that's not that far off the maximum potential, for half the price.

I would agree save the 10K and put that money towards a turbo
Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Building motor - what Block & parts to start C5R? LS6?- (speedjohnson)

Thanks folks - SpeedJohnson et all..

I'm hearing exaclty what I wanted to!

This will help point me in the right direct for sure!

Thanks again! :cheers: :party:

Get notified of new replies

To Building motor - what parts to start with (not in a hurry) -

Quick Reply: Building motor - what parts to start with (not in a hurry) -