C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can These Interior Options Be Added Later?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Can These Interior Options Be Added Later?

Hi All,

First of all, I'm sorry if this was previously covered, but I could not find this information.

I am thinking of buying a C5 Vette with few interior options, with the intent of adding them later as my finances improve. Here is the list of options in question.

HUD. Are all C5 Vettes PRE-wired for HUD? 97 and 98 included?
What is involved in installing HUD. Are all dash boards designed and prep'd for a simple hole to be made to drop the unit in. How difficult is it removing the dash for this installation?

If the generic seats are power seats, do they have all the lumber features as the sport seats?
To upgrade generic power seats, is it simply replacing the seat cover material?
Or does the entire seat structure, mechanisms included, need to be replaced?

Dual zone climate control. Is there much to this upgrade other than swapping control units? Is the ductwork and mechanisms internal to the dash compatible?

Fog Lights. Are all C5s pre-wired for this?

Telescoping Steering Wheel. Is this a simple bolt-off, bolt-on with prewiring in place?

Memory seats. Is it all prewired, with the computer already setup for these inputs? Do I just replace the switch panel in the door? Do I add a wire harness and computer control box? What about the key fobs Unit 1 and Unit 2? Does the Fob receiver unit require replacement?

12-CD In Trunk. Is prewiring in-place, all the way to the back? Are all stock cassettes and CD dash units allready prepared for a 12-CD add-on? What all is needed to add a 12-CD unit?

I have experience with interiors, but not C5 Vettes. I don't want this to become extreme, though removing the dash for HUD is expected. I don't want cutting and splicing. I want simple plug and play installation upgrades.

Anyone here with experience in this department?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:22 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Re: Can These Interior Options Be Added Later? (Ron Dittmer)

I can't answer everything, but will try a few:

HUD. Are all C5 Vettes PRE-wired for HUD? 97 and 98 included?
What is involved in installing HUD. Are all dash boards designed and prep'd for a simple hole to be made to drop the unit in. How difficult is it removing the dash for this installation?

If you have a '99 or later, you can use your current speedo cluster, otherwise you will have to replace that also. It is time-consuming to remove everything, but it can be done. All dashes have the area for the projector marked. You will need to buy a trim bezel for the area you cut out. There are several articles here on how to do it, including photos. Do a quick search -

Dual zone climate control. Is there much to this upgrade other than swapping control units? Is the ductwork and mechanisms internal to the dash compatible?

You cannot switch from one to the other. Too much difference in the wiring. Not a plug and play application.

Fog Lights. Are all C5s pre-wired for this?

No, but it is not difficult to wire them yourself. Get a nice aftermarket set of PIAA's, or you might be disappointed with your results after all the work. Factory fogs are really dim.

Telescoping Steering Wheel. Is this a simple bolt-off, bolt-on with prewiring in place?

Removing and replacing the column is not simple.

12-CD In Trunk. Is prewiring in-place, all the way to the back? Are all stock cassettes and CD dash units allready prepared for a 12-CD add-on? What all is needed to add a 12-CD unit?

There is no wiring, and you will have to make sure you get it with the CD changer you buy.

Hope that helps a little...

[Modified by BSiegPaint, 12:23 PM 2/4/2004]
Old 02-04-2004, 01:01 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can These Interior Options Be Added Later? (Ron Dittmer)

Ron, All of these options are nice to have on any C5. I personally would not try to modify these options unless they were strictly bolt on. The resale value of the car will definitely hurt, unless you plan to keep car forever then go for it. Also the prices of the C5 are dropping, you may be able to pick up a nice car with all the mentioned options.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM
mjb929rr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can These Interior Options Be Added Later? (WTC5)

:withstupid: I think you would be better off to buy the car with these options. By the time you purchase them to bolt on and make them work you probaly wouldnt save any money. Besides that way you can take the cash and buy performance mods. Buy the best vette you can afford.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:49 AM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can These Interior Options Be Added Later? (mjb929rr)

I would seriously doubt that the price of a stripped down C5 and one with the options you listed would sell for more than a $1000 difference in the used market, given that the cars were of equal condition and equal mileage. Actually, they could probably be negotiated for about the same price. You would be looking at $3K-$4K to purchase the options, which wouldn't include the hours needed to install.

I would do some more shopping and get all the features you want. List them in order of 1-10, and see if you can't find a used C5 with all the features you are listing.

Out of all those options, the only ones I would personally tackle would be the fog lights and the CD changer. The other ones are costly and much more difficult to do.

[Modified by TexasRedZ06, 1:52 AM 2/5/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Can These Interior Options Be Added Later?

Quick Reply: Can These Interior Options Be Added Later?