C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are lifting pucks really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Mac78and2K
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (Flyin'Brian)

What are the "eye" bolts for on the puck???
Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (CHRIS NJ C5)

not if you know how to put a C5 on a lift :) Yes Chris but there are only 27 people in the country know how to do this,.,, if you have the C5lift license you are ok but most places dont have anyone with a license... I keep track of all the licensees. yup 27 :seeya

Thats very interesting info.. Ya learn something new everyday.. I have quite a few different licenses but definatly not one to put a C5 on a lift. :)
After checking my files, this is what I found...

:blueangel: :) :reddevil
Old 02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (Evil-Twin)

Thanks buddy, I now remember that day but I still cant find my certificate :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (CHRIS NJ C5)

Thanks buddy, I now remember that day but I still cant find my certificate :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
I sent one to your email.. I know it will look real good amoung all of your certificates... You know after spending that 1000 dollars on the classes, you should take better care of those Certs.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:17 PM
fxrhm
Burning Brakes

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (kardashim)

I use plain old hockey pucks - they work great.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (fxrhm)

I just read most of this post...can't believe people are still trying to jack the car from those places on the side.....you don't need pucks you phuks. You jack the car from the crossmembers ie (cradles) its that simple. I have pulled the motor out of my car in my garage....let me just say the last place you want to jack the car from is the sides where one might place those pucks...and yes I purchased those pucks too when I first bought a C5 5 years ago. If you jack from the side (unless you have 4 jacks and the people jacking them simultaneously like a lift) you risk breaking welds and cracking balsa wood...even if you are on the frame...those locations are for the lift pucks not a single jack. THE BEST way to jack your car is too jack from the crossmembers front and rear.....my car is lowered to 26.50" rear and 26" in the front...so I run the car up on 1X4 then some Rhino Ramps in the front..just to jack it easier from the front...I have another floor jack from the rear.....jack to desired height and then lower on to 4 jack stands.....you don't need any pucks....mine collect dust now...as long as I have been on this forum...with the exception of a few I have not seen too many people working on their cars as much as I have in their garage.....I am building a new shop...and in that new shop will go a nice symetrical 12K lb lift for all my vehicles....but if you don't have a lift jack from the front and rear crossmembers not the sides......EVER.

[Modified by Shinobi'sZ, 6:30 PM 2/8/2004]
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (Shinobi'sZ)

If you lift the car with a jack under a puck then you can't put a jack stand under the puck since the jack is already there. Frame rails run the length of the sides and allow you to use several jack stands for safety.

[Modified by Fast one, 8:13 AM 2/9/2004]
Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (Fast one)

If you lift the car with a jack under a puck then you can't put a jack stand under the puck since the jack is already there. Frame rails run the length of the sides and allow you to use several jack stands for safety.[Modified by Fast one, 8:13 AM 2/9/2004]
FURTHERMORE>>>NEVER JACK THE CAR FROM THE SIDE>>>SOONER OR LATER YOU WILL HEAR A BIG POP IF YOU DO IT>>>>THEN YOU WILL FEEL EVEN LIKE MORE OF AN IDIOT BECAUSE YOU WERE WARNED.

The proper place is under the crossmembers then place the vehicle on jackstands...if you are doing it another way...you are doint wrong...don't risk damaging your frame because of some cheap **** puck that you think works right....sometimes the hardest thing to do on this forum is trying to convince all the genious's that they are doing something wrong....at that point I am not trying to correct them but hope to help the new guy that joins this forum and sees somebody doing something that car damage their car...If you are a new guy reading this...have some common sense...the Injection Molded Frame on the C5 is very rigid...if you jack from the side and you don't use 4 jacks at the same time (very unpractical) you are risking cracking the frame by twisting the frame...most vehicles you can jack from the side and only that side at the front or the rear will come off the ground...the C5's frame is not intended to be lifted by a single location ever........those places are intended for a LIFT so that equal pressure is applied to those places on the frame to lift the vehicle.....if you don't have a lift...jack under the crossmembers than lower on to 4 jack stands at the lift locations on the frame (the sides)...place a puck if you have to have one ontop of the jackstands....but you don't need them at all. I have pulled the tranny and the motor out...both cradles have to come out to do that. Trust somebody who is not the victim of gimic snake oil.

Forget the pucks....its that easy.
Simpler...if you have a lift use it.

The best thing for anybody....is don't defend a mod or part because you have spent money on it....you will learn over time....I have spent more than most of you ever will on mods.....take it from me...you don't need the pucks to jack the car and put it on stands.....straight up...if you want some pucks I will give them to you so that you can throw them at the neighbors cat. :smash:

[Modified by Shinobi'sZ, 8:36 AM 2/9/2004]

[Modified by Shinobi'sZ, 8:38 AM 2/9/2004]
Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM
ByBuzzy98
Intermediate

Default Re: are lifting pucks really needed? (kardashim)

I had read on the forum some time back about some lifting pucks from BMW for use on there cars. I looked into it and saved fifty or so bucks they fit great and are not in sight unless you are looking from under the car.I do how ever remove the lift pad from my jack and only lift just high enough to clear floor.(51711960752) If no. is wrong it's because I'm not reading correct line,but I did buy them from BMW parts counter.

Quick Reply: are lifting pucks really needed?