C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM 4L65E vs. 4L60E information (anybody want to upgrade?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FYI only: GM 4L65E vs. 4L60E information ( want to upgrade?)

Found a great article that showed the differences between the 4L60E and 4L65E. It's on page 51 of the November issue of Super Chevy magazine.
The article notes that the 4L60E is limited to 360 ft.lbs. engine torque. The 4L65E however is limited to 380 ft.lbs. in truck applications (Escalade etc.) because of the hefty weight of these vehicles. Installed in cars, engine torque limit would be around 400 ft.lbs. (read C6!).

The 4L65E is available from GM as a service item for people wanting to replace their 4L60E. The 4L65E P/N is 24221888

The differences between the 4L65E vs. the 4L60E are:
- Five pinion gears for reaction and input gear sets instead of four
- Input sun gears made from powdered metal
- Heat treated stator shaft splines
- Induction hardened turbine shaft
- Heavier duty low/reverse roller clutch
- Additional friction plate added to the 3-4 clutch (7 plates vs. 6)
- Shot peened output shaft
- Revised valve body calibration

Most significant improvement is the use of the five pinion gears for input and reaction gearsets.

There's more info ..... really good article

[Modified by Alex D, 7:42 PM 2/9/2004]
Old 06-02-2017, 03:09 PM
alcatraz
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi

Originally Posted by Alex D
Found a great article that showed the differences between the 4L60E and 4L65E. It's on page 51 of the November issue of Super Chevy magazine.
The article notes that the 4L60E is limited to 360 ft.lbs. engine torque. The 4L65E however is limited to 380 ft.lbs. in truck applications (Escalade etc.) because of the hefty weight of these vehicles. Installed in cars, engine torque limit would be around 400 ft.lbs. (read C6!).

The 4L65E is available from GM as a service item for people wanting to replace their 4L60E. The 4L65E P/N is 24221888

The differences between the 4L65E vs. the 4L60E are:
- Five pinion gears for reaction and input gear sets instead of four
- Input sun gears made from powdered metal
- Heat treated stator shaft splines
- Induction hardened turbine shaft
- Heavier duty low/reverse roller clutch
- Additional friction plate added to the 3-4 clutch (7 plates vs. 6)
- Shot peened output shaft
- Revised valve body calibration

Most significant improvement is the use of the five pinion gears for input and reaction gearsets.

There's more info ..... really good article

[Modified by Alex D, 7:42 PM 2/9/2004]
I know that this post is really old! And it's like reviving the dead! But i ran into an issue on how to determine if i got a 4L60E or a 4L65E in an 05 C6. Is there a way to know? The transmission got like a swirl pot. But i am really dead curious to know which one of these transmissions is in the 05 C6. It would help greatly! I am clueless as to what Filter is used in it for example or what parts to buy and there seems to be no info whatsoever about this in the Forum.

Quick Reply: GM 4L65E vs. 4L60E information (anybody want to upgrade?)