C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/ Cam!..Twin Turbos!..Superchargers!...Nitrous!..TUNE R SHOOTOUT a bonanza of C5 technology.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads/ Cam!..Twin Turbos!..Superchargers!...Nitrous!..TUNE R SHOOTOUT a bonanza of C5 technology.

Well all I can say is I was very impressed with all the technology available on these C5's at the SC TUNER SHOOTOUT! :smash:

I have never seen such a plethera of modified Corvettes in one place..Just an awesome sight to see these cars from all over the country in one place dueling it out . There were 9 - 10 second 2 stage nitrous cars..10 second supercharged cars..10 second head/cam cars from virtually every tuner. Just a blast watching the participating in preparation of the races. There were Hoosiers slicks and M/T E.T streets ..CCW wheels and RK hoods..just amazing to see all these aftermarket products on the cars and lookin fine.

I found it interesting however that the different tuners used different configurations in their vehicles with the same components..everyone did some thing a little different. There were tuners with their laptops tuning on site and even a Mustang Dyno for those who wished to get a Dyno..really a great show up of different tuners with an abundance of technical knowledge. :yesnod:

Here are a few pics of the Vette Doctors pit assemble..

[Modified by vstella, 11:25 AM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 11:49 AM
0Kaley@DragonRace
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heads/ Cam

At least someone has a good attitude about the whole thing. i bet it was a cool sight to see all those hopped up vettes. Did you run? kaley?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (2C5only21)

Did you run? .... kaley?
No just a spectator.. :yesnod:
Old 02-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (2C5only21)

At least someone has a good attitude about the whole thing. i bet it was a cool sight to see all those hopped up vettes. Did you run? kaley?
Amen! Great attitude, bro. I'm really happy that someone walked away from this event with positive things to say. I, for one, am really disgusted with all the bs surrounding this event. Who won? Who lost? Nobody knows. In the end, I'm almost glad I didn't go although I would have loved to meet some forum members. I'd love to see the video.

:cheers:
Paul
Old 02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (vstella)

I dont know really. I wasnt very impressed overall with the whole scene this weekend.
Scarce turnout, broken cars.. cars performing far below their potential.
I was pretty dis-heartened about the whole vette perforimance scene.

You have all the cars with TONSSSS of cash in performane mods....
That run 1/5 second faster than my near bone stock Z.
In most were on slicks or et streets.
It must suck to have 10 grand+ in a car and pick up 1/2 second and 10 mph.
Mytock car with a bottle and a set of drag radials would have handed 10+ of these cars their butts.
A few guys had their act together, but for the most part it was very disapointing.
Makes me think twice before I seriously mod my car.

I am thinking more now about just keeping it close to stock and getting somehtgin else to beat on and try to go fast with.

I guess thats just racing

:nonod:
Old 02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (pwrshhftd)

Scarce turnout is probaby due to it being the first event, perhaps it'll pick up in subsequent years. Broken cars - that's racing. If you're not breaking parts, you're not making enough power :D . Cars performing far below their potential may be attributed to the weather. I hear the DA was up there.

As far as 1/5 of a second better than your near-stock Z, what times do you run? The BEST time for a completely stock Z is 11.78 on street tires that I know of (J-Rod). .20 better would only be 11.58. There are guys running 10s with about 10 grand invested into their cars.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, to some of us from North GA, it all looked pretty good. I haven't seen your stock Z's numbers, but I'd bet that the the H/C cars running 10.7s at 125+ are a little more than 1/2 second quicker than yours.

Sure, there were some disappointments. The big motor cars weren't impressive, and won't be until less restrictive intakes are developed, and the blown cars had more than their share of teething problems. But having come through the Holley carb era, I'm amazed that these cars can be driven several hundred miles to a race, get 24 mpg with the air conditioning running, turn tens, and then drive home

Maybe next year if a second shootout is scheduled, you should just drive your Z to the movies.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Heads/ Cam (marco383)

Maybe next year if a second shootout is scheduled, you should just drive your Z to the movies.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 02-23-2004, 01:18 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (marco383)

Well, I didnt mean say that the head cams cars were that slow. I was mainly thinking about the power adder cars. Like the ttwin turbo car i saw running 11.40 @ 127. But since you brought it up..........
Even though the heads cam cars where in the 10's, those were pretty radical set ups. Those cars arent exactly streetable in my opinion. (in my opinion so back off)
All of them had a pretty deep set of gears, some had open exhaust, some were kinda stripped out on the interior,.. and the CCW drag pak ... And electric water pump drives and all sorts of "drag only" parts.
.. and I thought the cams were pretty radical. These guys brought their best and fastest cars toi race.. and i understand that.
Im comparing apples to apples.. I didnt see any cars like mine with stock front wheels, and stock suspension and a medium sized daily drivable cam, doing much of anything.
I have run 12.04 in my stock 02 with a square direct replacement K&N filter. Stock pressure all the way around on stock F1 tires.
NOTHING ELSE, i didnt take the belt of... or any drag tricks, no icing the intake.. nothing, 200 F, just pull up and run.
I drove my friends 1400 mile stock 01 to a 12.30 @ 114 saturday night in jackson.
It is 100% absolutely stock with the paper air filter and all. Plus it has 1400 miles on it.
The car wheel hopped badly and cut power, leaving me with only a 1.96 60'.
I think that car will go 12.20's or 12-teens with a few practice passes.

I have taken an 01 with a set of 4 years old junk 275/40 -17 drag radials and 125 shot, and run 11.19 @ 127.
on JUNK drag radials.. not et streets, not CCW drag pak, not a 4.30 gear... no other drag tricks involved. I didnt even pump the front tires up.

Thats about $200-300 worth of mods... I just see $10,000 being a giant leap for a car that is limited by the stock bottom end.
I could take $10,000 and buy a built mustang or somethign else to have fun with.
Compare 1 second to a whole other car to see closer my point.

I am a long time mustang owner, and I bought my Z because i wanted to raise the bar. I wanted a NICE car that was a more capable platform to drag race and road race with. Better handling , better traction... faster from the start .. etc.
But i have had nothing but problems with mine.. mine just wont take the abuse....
This weekend further proves that..
Im sorry if i am hurting feelings, but the vettes just arent what i thoguth they would be .. and im pretty let down...
That doesnt mean that I dotn love my Z car for what it is. I just think I will enjoy it as it is.. a wonderful, fast, balanced near stock car... not a supercar.

[Modified by pwrshhftd, 1:27 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (diynoob)

Im not really following you here.....

Are you calling me out to race?
or telling me stay on the porch?

If your tellign me not to come... you can shove it.

I would have raced but mine was BROKEN! how it always is!
Try 60 days in the delaership in the last year.

I might sell ti and get a mustang or a viper .. or somethgin that will take a little abuse and come back and spank your butt.
that is if, you even go to the events.

is that what you wanted to hear?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by pwrshhftd, 1:42 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

I dont know really. I wasnt very impressed overall with the whole scene this weekend.
Scarce turnout, broken cars.. cars performing far below their potential.
...pwrshhftd
FWIW...Several of the faster cars were NOT running to their potential at first ...DELIBERATELY! ..This may have bee a competitors strategy or perhaps broken parts ..it WAS a TEST N' TUNE time for them:yesnod:..but they all gave their A game towards the end and many had personal best E.T's and MPH #'s..I just wanted to be with others with the same interests..I did!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

pwrshhftd,
It's called Drag Racing.

Although it's not a popular opinion here, but IMO the number at the 1/4 mile strip often don't mean much. :nono: There's way too many variables involved. :nopity

You can rest assured that all those heads/cam, "not impressive" Twin Turbo cars, etc etc would hand you your a s s on the street.

I've personally been to the track a few times and never ran any impressive times :rolleyes:, but on the street I've beaten more than one 10sec car. :reddevil

So if you wanna seriously look at the 1/4 mile numbers you need to know how to "read" them.
Otherwise, just enjoy it for what it is/or ignore it w/o giving it too much thought ;)

[Modified by EuG, 1:44 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (vstella)

What does DA mean?, and what affect does it have on times??
Please help educate me so I can start being abusive as well :lol: :lol:

Not refering to this thread but all I have read today, the nastys are out in force :rolleyes:

[Modified by Gonzo, 1:44 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (EuG)

well tell me what im mising here . "since i dont know how to read the numbers"

race 1 - 800 rwhp twin turbo big cube vette 11.41 @ 127
my stock junk with a bottle 11.19 @ 127

hmm.... whats your point again??

race 2 heads cam car with slicks 10.70 @ 126
my stock junk woith NAWWWZZ 11.19 @ 127 on drag radials

i guess you must be a better "drag strip time reader"

I guess the 5000 passes i have been down there track.. i just didnt learn?

im such a failure....

Are you just HATING on me because I called you out?

Im sorry you are also on the list of folks that own over priced, over modified cars that dont perform up to their potential.
:lol:

[Modified by pwrshhftd, 1:47 PM 2/23/2004]

[Modified by pwrshhftd, 1:50 PM 2/23/2004]

[Modified by pwrshhftd, 2:04 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL :rofl:

race 1 - 800 rwhp twin turbo big cube vette 11.41 @ 127
my stock junk with a bottle 11.19 @ 127
Who said it was making 800rwHP????
As far as I know only LPE Stage II 427 make that kind of power. I would also require high boost and race gas. Was he running all of that????
If you personally talked to the owner and he confirmed that, then OK, otherwise :nopity

race 2 heads cam car with slicks 10.70 @ 126
my stock junk woith NAWWWZZ 11.19 @ 127 on drag radials
Apples to Apples, no doubt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also what were your 60’ on DR? Some people are able to get as good 60’ on DR as on ET Streets. In that case the there’s no difference (on a particular run)

Im sorry you are also on the list of folks that own over priced, over modified cars that dont perform up to their potential.
ROFLMAO :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
You have no idea what you’re talking about. :nonod:
I thought I made myself clear, I don’t judge performance by 1/4 times.
You’re the one that complains that your stock ride is broken all the time. :confused:
I drive and enjoy mine whenever the weather is decent. :thumbs:

You need to relax and have a cold one :cheers:

[Modified by EuG, 2:01 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-23-2004, 02:02 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (diynoob)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:lol: :lol:
Old 02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Have you ever thought that maybe all that nitrous your throwing at your car is the reason it's been at the dealership for the last 60 days :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Heads/ Cam!..Twin Turbos!..Superchargers!...Nitrous!..TUNE R SHOOTOUT a bonanza of C5 technology.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Sorry Vince............................this is turning into another GREAT thread with people who cannot simply post but have to talk crap and ruin an otherwise civil thread...............................tak e offense? Oh well.............way too much bitching and crying going on in these sections.....it's almost as bad as P&C :lolg: :rofl:
Old 02-23-2004, 02:06 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Default Re: Heads/ Cam (runamuk)

Have you ever thought that maybe all that nitrous your throwing at your car is the reason it's been at the dealership for the last 60 days :rolleyes:
read my post more carefully.

I have a 2002 car.

I ran 12.0 in my car NA

I ran 11.1 in a 2001 car.

Not my car.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:06 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I must respectfully disagree with your view of at least one of the fastest H/C cars as being "radical". Brent's Z06 was driven from NJ to Bradenton, Fl last year (over 1000 miles), ran a number of 10.8 second quarters, and was driven back to NJ. That would not be a real smart thing to try with a pure race car. Other than the new cam/head package (which is still streetable), it has not gotten any more radical since that event.

I'll choose to ignore your other comments.

Quick Reply: Heads/ Cam!..Twin Turbos!..Superchargers!...Nitrous!..TUNE R SHOOTOUT a bonanza of C5 technology.