C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures?

Gentlemen,

Can someone explain or better yet post a picture that shows where the drain plug is on the left-side of the LS6 engine block that I would remove to drain coolant out of the block?

Thanks for your help. :seeya

[Modified by Pumba, 6:22 PM 2/25/2004]
Old 02-25-2004, 06:14 PM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (Pumba)

I believe the coolant drain is located on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom.

No pic though.

:cheers:
Old 02-25-2004, 06:23 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (AnteVenom)

I believe the coolant drain is located on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom.

No pic though.

:cheers:
:iagree:

The only way to drain coolant out of the block would be to knock out a freeze plug :eek:
Old 02-26-2004, 02:16 AM
c5inphila
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (runamuk)

It has a screw in plug on each side . The right side is in the rear above the starter , the left side is towards the front , it can be replaced with a engine block coolant heater.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (c5inphila)

It has a screw in plug on each side . The right side is in the rear above the starter , the left side is towards the front , it can be replaced with a engine block coolant heater.
If I'm not mistaken, those are in the Heads not in the Block.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (Flyin'Brian)

If I'm not mistaken, those are in the Heads not in the Block.
Ding, ding, ding. Give that man a cookie :jester

Keith

Old 02-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Heretic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (kromberg)

Based on the bare ls6 block sitting on the floor in my garage, there is a screw in water jacket plug ahead of the engine mount bosses.

There are no soft plugs that I can remember.

Most older engines could be drained by removing the knock sensors.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:28 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (Heretic)

Based on the bare ls6 block sitting on the floor in my garage, there is a screw in water jacket plug ahead of the engine mount bosses.
I also have an LS6 block sitting on an engine stand and the only plug on the left side of the block that I see is the plug in the oil gallery.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Heretic
Pro

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (runamuk)

I'm not going to argue it, but that 1" hole on the side of the block sure looks like it goes into water.
Granted the block is not right in front of me.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
c5inphila
Racer

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (Heretic)

just had mine apart and drained the coolant from the two screw in plugs that are in the block.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Brian@ap-engineering
Advanced

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures? (c5inphila)

On the driver side there is a plug just in front of the motor mount . It has a 17 mm hex/allen head. The plug is brass and is about 1" in size. On the pass side it is a plug the size of a quarter on the water jacket towards the back . It is parallel to the ground. There is another plug close to it right at the rear of the block, but it goes to the oil galley. You can see the brass driver side plug in this pic: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ape...&.dnm=f1e4.jpg
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Heretic
Pro

Default Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block

I checked again last night on the block and the plug Brian referenced and is in the picture, is the one I was talking about.

The question is, can it be accessed with the engine in the car or not.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:42 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6

I missed that plug and instead looked at the smaller one a couple inches in front of it which is the plug in the oil gallery :bb :cheers:
Old 02-28-2004, 01:02 AM
MTWallet
Drifting

Default Re: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 (runamuk)

There are (2) water drain plugs in the block:
Do not remove the plug by the oil filter because it is an oil galley plug!

#1 Passenger side, directly above the starter which requires a 3/8" allen. Its a small brass plug that kind of looks like a bolt head.

#2 Drivers side between the alternator and the motor mound which requires a 17mm allen. It is a large brass screw-in plug with very fine threads.

Be sure to put a touch of thread sealer on them before you reinstall them.

These will drain the block and heads completely assuming you have also drained the radiator and pumped the hoses a bit. I used both plugs to drain my block before removing my heads and had about 1/4 cup of cooland spill on the ground when the heads were removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures?

Quick Reply: Where is the Water Drain Plug on the left-side of a LS6 Engine Block - Pictures?